Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#197152 by grilosd Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:36 am
Hello everybody,

recently i made an order at metallica store and paid by using my credit card ,i received a confirmation e-mail that they will process my order and after a couple of days i received an e-mail from "[email protected]" telling me that they need additional verification for the credit card i used for security reasons... the thing is that they ask for photocopy of front and back side of my card which is outrageous ..Since i am aware IT sec professional i checked the site ,links...and everything seems ok. i contacted my bank and of course they told me not to send that kind of info.I will not contact again the store. please tell me is there anything similar reported .You can see the e-mail below

Metallica
Payment Verification Notification

Dear Metallica.com shopper:

Thank you for your recent order from the Met Store. We are requesting further information from you in order to verify the credit card you used for your purchase. Please copy and paste the link below to print and fill out the form with the requested information. We also require a copy of the front AND back of your credit card - we cannot verify the credit card without the copies. We apologize for any inconvenience, but due to the high incidence of credit card fraud on the internet, we frequently require additional information to process orders.

Please fax the requested information back to us at the fax number below, or email us at [email protected]

PDF: http://www.metallica.com/CCVerify.pdf
Microsoft Word: http://www.metallica.com/CCVerify.doc

Our Fax Number is (415) 458-1752
Email us at [email protected]

Order Information:
Order Number: 1166683
Order Total: $168.59

Upon receiving the requested form and copies of the front and back of your card, we will immediately process and ship your order. If you do not plan to return the attached form within seven days, please notify us immediately. Your order will be held for seven days and will be cancelled and if we do not receive a response within that time frame.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your assistance. Thanks for shopping at the Met Store!
Metallica
PMB #194, 369B Third Street
San Rafael, CA 94901-3581
USA

Email Customer Service | Log In To Your Account

You are receiving this email because Metallica needs payment verification before sending out your order.
Advertisement

#197154 by AlanJones Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:54 am
I can understand this from both sides and I don't think that the site has been compromised.

Your bank are quite right that you should not just be sending a copy of your card to people, as if a scammer gets hold of it he could use it as proof that he has the card in his possession.

However, it is possible that metalica.com have been targeted by credit card fraud before and are now trying to protect themselves from further losses. Perhaps something about your order has made them suspicious, so they have asked for proof that you are the cardholder.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.