Information on romance scams and scammers.
#190456 by lilyc Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:34 am
Hi, I have been scammed by someone calling themselves Richard Williams from London who says he is a sculptor.I feel such an idiot and can't believe this has happened to me. I have reported this to the police, who have investigated and everything comes back to a dead end. Richard Williams, as I know him, doesn't exist!!
I havn't found any other scam on the internet similar to this and the police think it is different, so I have to warn people.
He contacted me on Plenty More Fish dating site, age 43 from East Ham London, they have been told and removed his profile, but it is probably back on with another description!! but I think he will stick with his sculptor story because it is VERY convincing. His email address is [email protected], which according to the police traces back to Bloemfonteinin South Africa and then onto Mauritius, his phone number is a T Mobile pay as you go 07903126182 which is operating in South Africa which fits with the scam, but according to him should be operating in Paris now, as that's where he says he is at the moment!!
He sent me 3/4 emails,which I will post, with lots of information about himself, all lies, but very detailed and passionate info about his sculpting,which is what convinced me he was real, but too late I discovered the words where taken from genuine sculptors profiles!! and he doesn't have a studio on Shaftesbury Avenue or Shaftesbury Theatre.
He told me he was going to SouthAfrica to buy materials he needed for his work, and we chatted on msn every day for HOURS in the evening, he writes VERY GOOD English, ( so don't be fooled by good English, even if it is a different scam) is intelligent and articulate, in fact better then his emails. There was nothing that raised alarm bells, he talked about his work, family and life in London, no wife killed in a car accident or dead from cancer, he had a son who lived in America with his ex.
Then it was time for him to fly home and he found out his chip and pin card didn't work and needed money to pay his hotel bill, which after a lot of discussion I sent via MoneyGram, then the next morning when I was supposed to be collecting him from Heathrow I got an email saying he had been held up by a customs stop on his shipment and he had to pay an extra tax,! Next he was arrested going through customs for smuggling ivory ornaments, was sent to prison and had to pay a large fine, next he got beaten up at the airport while waiting for a flight and was taken to hospital in a coma, enter Dr Pienaar ([email protected] from Medilink medical centre Cape Town phone number 27735468017 and 27840968690 ) Trying to keep this short, the next thing of course was his medical bill, damn chip and pin still didn't work!! and then flight back to the UK with accompanying doctor. He eventually arrived in Paris to find his shipment had been stopped by the French and another tax was payable and he couldn't leave Paris until his goods were cleared!!. This was approx. 6 weeks ago and according to him he is still there.
I checked and double checked everything and nothing was true but I just pushed all my doubts to the back of my mind, he had an answer to everything which was mostly based on the trust issue and by this time I was in love with the man, stupid I know, but he was SO convincing and I'd never come across anything like this before. I knew one person couldn't have so much bad luck, but wanted to believe it was all true and that I would get to meet him.
I have since found lots of his words and descriptions on scamming websites, wish I'd found them sooner.
The sad thing is I really miss him, I thought we had a future together. Sorry his emails are so long, but that's what he wrote!!
To anybody reading this, please don't EVER send money to someone you don't know, no matter how convincing they sound. Don't push doubts and misgivings to the back of your mind, you have them for a reason.
If you are or have been in contact with this man, or something similar with a different name and want any further information, please send me a private message, I'll be more then happy to help.

Names and addresses of the people I had to send the cash to:
LU-MAREE CLAIRE ANTHONY
FAITH NCEBAKAZI TABATA
11 WETWYN ROAD
CAPE TOWN

NANDIPHA PERE
SISONKE MTSHIXA
MMOTHA GWENDOLINE LEGOABE
202 LEBOENG
SECTEMBISA
CAPE TOWN

MUKAIL ADEMOLA SHODIM
62 CLINTON ROAD
CAPE TOWN 7700

The following email is out of date order!!

I'm really so sorry I haven't been In touch sweetheart I arrived Cape town safely Flew In late last night and I just figured out the time zones and Its an Hour ahead of the UK, I'm lodged at the Heritage Hotels and Suite located at the city central overlooking Table Mountain and the harbor .. Its my first time out here and South Africa Is really a beautiful place with so much Tourist attractions But I'm not here for a vacation like You know I've been up and about my business shopping for casts and arts for my sculptures at the Open market in Paarl

Thank you again for your complete faith and trust opening up to me completely like you have this past week or so without any sentiments whatsoever You such a sweet heart and the most remarkable and beautiful woman I've come across in a long long time you really make me melt like hot fudge on a sundae really you should be someone's wife ** Smiling I'm out of the U.K now Honey and I cant receive Text and Picture messages while I'm out here Unfortunately because Tmobile lines cant get any service coverage out here which Is very frustrating for me but I've got your number and I can always call you from a Pay phone here at the Hotel whenever or I could better still arrange for a sim pack from the Shops when I go to the mall If only we can chat / share more pictures on Msn would be Great so please let me know OK Cos I'd so much love to see more of you Honey

You are really a blessing that my entire being is very thankful for,I really feel that we were made to love,care,listen,understand,and work through all times in our lives together and individually - I feel like we have shared more in our emails and text gettng to know more about each other better even though we've only just met I believe there are could be many more special moments and occassions in our lives that will surprise and bring us closer.I'm very new to this and I only try to put all this Into words but fail miserably at times,The feeling of being both scared and at peace,of having both butterflies and a sense of calm,is a feeling that I have only dreamed about.and as the days continue to pass, my feeling for you continues to grow,I never thought I had the capacity to get close to anybody as much as I've opened up completely to you xxxxxxx.Yet, my feelings for you continues to mature, growing beyond the realm of my heart. It seems that you have become a part of my life now

It was at random that we met,A chance that not many get.When I found you on the website I felt a connection and I always knew That you would turn out to be my special friend,Someone that I can count on someone who could be there,Until the end.I've never seen you,Felt you, or touched you.

Those kind of chances are very few to meet someone from far away Not knowing if they're here to stay but either way the Bonds of friendship strings are tied becausae I'm not one to back out on a friend xxxxx and Its really a shame I have to go on this Trip at this time of the year so committed trying to complete the puppet sculpture project for Little angel theater It doesn't necessarily mean we don't stand a chance to Be Together Of course,You are really the woman of my dreams xxxxxx I'm out of the country right now but you are In my every thoughts and on my lonely mind I will so much like to meet you in person over dinner / drinks when i am back In London of course and i must say that This has come to stay and you are such a nice lovable woman I will Like your dreams and mine to come true for real .. I see you in my dreams and pray to God and hope that one day we will find ourselves wrapped in a friendship and love that grows stronger and deeper each day into a future together hopefully because I believe and have faith in you xxxxxxx I'm so into you now I just hope you feel the same about me I have to get back on the road promise to write you later tonight when I'm back at the Hotel OK Have a wonderful day ahead - Kiss xx

Yours Truly

Richard xx
Last edited by lilyc on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:54 am, edited 9 times in total.
Advertisement

#190467 by Dotti Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:34 pm
I am very sorry that you have gone through this. While there are many good people on the internet dating sites, the sad reality is that there are hundreds of thousands of fake profiles established solely for the purpose of taking advantage of innocent people who want nothing more than to meet someone.

Unfortunately, what you are describing is actually a typical African romance scam. We see these every day.
While the scammers often choose careers like engineer or architect, we do sometimes see ones who claim to be art dealers, artists, or even sports agents.

The use of an email at doctor.com (which is a free email address and has nothing to do with the medical profession) is also very typical. Scammers like to use email addresses that help to reinforce the false claims they are making (also the reason for the "good" in his email address. The customs fees, arrest, injuries, and doctor contact have been used (successfully) thousands of times before, unfortunately.

Most often the scammers come from western African countries like Nigeria and Ghana, but occasionally they do come from South Africa. The quality of English does tend to be much better in South Africa, so you don't see anywhere near the number of mistakes, so they are much harder to detect.

Posting the emails he sent will help other potential victims--as you said, he is pretty convincing and it will help others to see the truth about him. The easiest thing to do is to simply copy and paste the emails into your posts here. If you can post the photos he is using, it will help as well. There are instructions in my signature line for posting photos.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#190548 by lilyc Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:15 am
Hi, and thanks for your reply.
I will try and cut and paste his emails and post photos.
I just want to try and make sure that if anyone searches for something similar it comes up.

I can't tell my family and friends what an idiot I've been or they would have me sectioned!! they would never have expected me to fall for something like this, believe it or not, I'm not stupid!!
I only cut contact a few days ago, played with him a bit, but decided the only person I was hurting was myself, but I miss his texts, emails and chat, he was such a big part of my life for months, and I have to keep telling myself he is not the man in the photos.
You get swept along by all the romancing and beautiful words, but we need to remember very few "real" men actually talk like that!! or fall in love with someone they have never met!!
Last edited by lilyc on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
#190657 by lilyc Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:03 pm
This is the first email I received off the website.
Hi xxxxx (smiles)
Thank you for your messages back on the website Hun Hope you are having a good day I'm so sorry for the late response I've been so busy working in the studio you really are so lovely like I said and you put a million smiles on my face so I believe you must have looked at my profile and I guess it's not enough to just read about me but I am going to tell you what I can about me, it will be much preferable that you ask what exactly you want to know OK so here goes.
My name is Richard Lloyd Williams, it says I'm 43 on the website but that's incorrect a mistake I must have made when signing up I guess but actually I'm turning 46 years this December 26th Born in Alberta to a Canadian mum and English Dad before my Dad decided to move back to London when I was 10 Yrs old and as a boy growing up in Alberta with Hindi neighbors I was exposed to films and documentaries of dramatic landscapes of India and the ornate architecture of its temples, mosques and synagogues with their theatrical rituals which had an effect on my development Psyche so I chose to spend much time as possible in my bedroom conjuring up with pencils and paper Imaginary landscapes, architectural fantasies and futuristic cars, In short I only ever wanted to become an Artist that's why I went on to study Foundation Art and Design at the University of Edinburgh before obtaining first class honor degree in Fine Art and studying sculpture as a postgraduate at the Slade School of fine Art

I am relatively new to this whole concept of internet dating to be honest and I think its better, knowing that we can keep communication here over email until it gets to meeting in person, I am a caring, honest and God fearing man, I love working for natural things a lot even though I deal with Arts and sculptures by profession my Dad used to be a Dairy farmer when he was alive and we used to work on the farm together and we live together in London even though I was younger and there is a few to what I could do on the farm, I grew up this way and it was fun until I had to go to school to pursue a career, and Truth is I so much love what I do for work.

However, I lost my dad years back and I had to carry on the farm and the farm left me no time to practice my sculpting profession, I just employed extra 5 workers that help on the farm so it will be much easier for me to practice my profession which is Arts and crafts mostly sculptures, I also do some paintings,drawings and color designs during some of my leisure times. I've been single now for 8 years and you should know like I already told you Art is my life I like to create things I think about. I like the permanence of a piece in an ever changing environment. Some people articulate their ideas through music, words, movement etc, I do it through my Sculptures I like colors, rhythm, the movements and the aura. I initially come up with a concept, that's step one, I can then create it. It helps anchor me. It brings some consistency to my life, the world around me and where I fit into the world. You can say art is my addiction. Smiles

Looking back, I had no idea that sculpture would become my passion although I do have a very strong memory of wanting to work with my hands since childhood....Story of my life? Smiles I don't want to bore you anymore then I have already Lol Like I said I have so much to share with the right woman. I have a very busy work schedule but I'd really love to get to know you xxxxx I get so lonely and I think the time is right for me to find the right balance between my work and starting a new life with a true loving and loyal partner for the future.

I'll like you to know that I prefer honesty in my woman then any other thing, although I havn't had enough opportunities in keeping relationships, i'll say this is the second time I am ever going to think of having a woman, as I have been hurt in the past especially when I was growing up as a teenager, and I learn from people a lot, so I don't make any more mistakes in my life, i'll really love to know more about you, what you do for work and fun and what exactly you are looking for in a man, I have lived life, I do not have any serious baggage, I am independent, honest, mindful and easy going amongst other positive traits. I have strong values, morals and sound character traits- life is too short to play games and manipulate people and situations. I am unassuming, homely somewhat introverted but I also love the outdoors, nature, this beautiful country we live in.........walking, hiking beach, gardening, my sculptures 07903126182 I'm happy to text/email anytime and if you ever feel the need to have a decent chat sometime i'll send you a request and we can chat directly from our mail Inbox I hope to hear back from you soon

Warmest wishes
Rich x

Note from me, I'm almost believing it all again after reading it!! Will put next mails on soon, but most of the "work" was done on IM, The description about growing up with Hindi neighbours etc all came from the profile of the sculptor Gerry Judah who does have a studio on Shaftesbury Avenue!!

2nd email

Dear xxxx
Thank you so much for writing back sharing and telling me more about yourself hunny I appreciate that so much, you sound like a great woman with a great personality... I'm a good man with a great personality as well and I do care a lot about people I love to smile, making loved ones laugh and been next to my woman I'm really so happy reading from you and I have to tell you more about myself and you have to know I grew up on a farm **haha
Well yes my late dad and his father before him, were organic farmers, as were all farmers at that time anyway but he never really embraced enthusiastically the new methods of farming that came to be after the World War to say the least but with focus hard work and total dedication we are blessed to be one of the Hounslow Community Urban Farms located in Feltham Middlesex 3.3 acres home to ponies, pigs, cows, goats, sheep, chickens, turkeys, rabbits and guinea pigs. The farm is popular with young children. Small horticultural plot selling plants and vegetables and conservation area. I loved growing up on this farm. Working in the fields with my father and two older cousins but I grew up knowing I didn't really want to become a farmer like my Dad because I found another love for drawing and painting which took up most of my time as a boy but I really enjoyed my time growing up on a farm still do actually **smiles
It was so much fun well, when you get to run around and play. And when you're up in the hay mow, sometimes, except when you have to throw down the hay and do chores... It was a place I learned that when something needs to be done you do it as best you can. You have to take responsibility but most crucially for me it was and still is a place of exploration for me that gave me so much inspiration to become an artist, I had the opportunity to understand plants, human and animal relationships, developed a sense of responsibility and gain skills and experiences that put me in good stead for life challenges so I'm really so grateful being a "Farm Boy" Lol Brings back so many memories and like I said in my messages to you on the website there's so much I have to share with you xxxxx
My sculptural work is often of human scale using recognisable imagery, the majority of my works have some relation to labor history, labor and the changing nature of work as we know it, they are also triggere by human relationships and predicaments and they find expression through the human figure. It's difficult to explain the creative path. I normally start with drawings and more drawings, where I compose shapes and forms and spaces between these: on paper and in my mind. I draw until I et under the skin of my subject- till I can "feel" that sculpture in me. After constructing the armature I concentrate on the shapes and forms in space- composition and silhouette- then suddenly the work takes on a life of its own- the emotional content starts to manifest itself- the dialogue begins, between myself an the sculpture. This dialogue is essential for me, it's a tremendous process of discovery. An adventure into my inner self. The sculpture acquires a spirit and a personality. While I work I'm constantly looking at the composition in space- the tensions within the individual forms and the relationships between them... to me this is the essence of sculpture **Smiles I'll gladly email you some pictures of my works an tell you more about Richard the sculptor in my next email I promise OK but I've got to tell you some more about Richard the Person ** smiles
I like the outdoors and water. I love history and soccer, I do like to watch sports on TV at times and I support Arsenal FC lol. I love nature, people, animal mountains and the very air we breathe. I love movies, relaxing and laughter. I am looking for someone who is willing to spend "Quality time" with. Know a little about a lot, including Music, Sports, theatre water boating etc I was raised by two parents who liked the theatre, loved to camp and believed in values. I have seen almost every play and musical. But I still love comedies and romance, not that I can't do the chick flick. I do like books, but I often read at work... My studio is set up at Shaftesbury Avenue, the theatre centre in the West End of London where I work on large sculptures so on getting home I would rather do other things. Odd or not, I like rock and Alternative, but I will listen to almost anything except R & B. Even like oldies and Sinatra. Not much into country.
I am not a player and I do not go for head games. I consider myself loyal god fearing and honest to a fault. I love adventure and challenges, but I also like to be with one person. I am not the controlling type. Looking for respect and consideration in a relationship. I love athletic events, whether it is college or pro; watching or participating. I am looking to meet an attractive, intelligent honest person who likes to have a good time and is fun to be around. Someone who is very goal oriented in her personal life and career, likes a fun night out sometimes and quiet nights at times, one who is adventurous, sociable/ outgoing and cultured; someone who values family, social life and helping others; someone who is patient, sensitive, empathetic and supportive, a very good communicator and especially someone who makes me laugh. I would also like someone who is affectionate and cuddly. Sorry if I want too much lol.... but it's worth it though
Right now I am working on getting arts and crafts for my sculpture although I have to abandon the farm for a while now that I have more workers, I do cruise on a bike (motorcycle) whew sometimes tho!! I love motorcycles and I run sometimes every day when I have the time, but I also like to watch a good movie and relax in the house. How long have you been single? and what has been your experiences with men and do you know your star sign? I'm Capricorn by the way do you believe in destiny? Actually this is my first time writing to a woman on the internet and it's a crazy yet beautiful experience where anything could really happen like I said... You just never can tell! I could be you dream come true for real (smiles)
NB I have sent you a request on msn hope we can have a decent chat soon, have a pleasant evening.
Hope to read back from you soon
Hola!
Rich xx

The bit about the creative path comes from the profile of real sculptor Maureen Quin!! wish I'd found that sooner as his apparent passion and knowledge for the subject convinced me he was genuine!!

3rd email

Dear xxxxx,
Thank you so much for your lovely email back, I'm really so happy to know we share some common interests and we can always chat text/ chat on msn messenger if you accept my request online, would really be so nice to have a decent heart to heart conversation sometime so we can get to know more about each other honey. You put a smile on my face and being xxxxx which is a very good sign, now I'm convinced it's not just a physical attraction but an intellectual one as well and I really appreciate your simplicity and honesty in your letters maybe I have to tell you some more about myself, I am someone who is strong and confident but is also very sensitive I consider myself intelligent, honest, sincere loyal dependable and hard working.. I enjoy feeling wanted and I have a need to be loved. I also like lots of cuddles, kisse, touching and closeness where two people feel as if they are one. When two people who love each other achieve this then they can conquer anything. I believe that the home is the heart of everything and without a happy home where love can flourish and children can laugh, play and sleep in safety and security it would be difficult to have a balanced and harmonized life.
I'm the only child of my parents, my Mum has since remarried and living with her husband over in Watford since my father passed away, they have 2 kids my step brother Jason and Claire my step sister, but despite the distance we still try and spend as much time together as we can, I also love my home, I live alone in a three bedroom maisonette spread over two floors with it's own private entrance an eat in kitchen with direct access to a private patio garden in Hambrook Court Kentish Town I really love my privacy and I love to spend money on my home making it better and more comfortable with arts and crafts.
I like trying new things, travelling and meeting so many different people has made me a very tolerant person who believes in a live and let live policy. I am a very gentle person at heart who loves to be happy and have fun. I believe in working hard for myself and my family ensuring that we are very comfortable and have everything we need, and sometimes things we don't.
My ideal woman should try to think the same way I do, be intelligent, someone who is willing to help share and build our dreams together, be as devoted to me and the family as I would be to her and conduct herself with poise and dignity. She must love me only as I would love her and accept that I will treat her like my queen, ensuring that she has everything her heart desires because if she is happy then I am happy. I need her to support and understand my work and be there for me when I need her as I will always cherish and be there for her..
I'll like you to know that I am going to Cape Town South Africa for an open market shopping of casts and materials for my sculptures but will be getting back soonest and hopefully by then we can meet in person over dinner/drinks if you don't mind. My sculptures are of ancient classical art so I'm most into the art of ancient Egypt, representing the dominant high culture in the Mediterranean and some ancient Greece and Roman art... I also do some painting and I've attached some more pictures of my works I hope I have described myself as I would really like to get to know you better with time.
Can you email some more pictures of you honey? I've got so much I want to share xxxxx Please write back soon and tell me how committed you can get in a relationship and all about your dreams in life what you really look out for in your man.
Warmest Wishes
Rich xx

He doesn't live at Hambrook Court, when I asked for a proper address he said 178 Romford Road E7 which is a Nursing home!! I put his "flowery" language down to being artistic!!

4th email

Dear xxxxx,
Lovely day today init? (WE do say that sometimes in UK) It just started to rain here and I hope it's not a complete wash out I'm sheltered at the studio - way too much to do.... looking like I need two extra bodies, a working brain and two pots of coffee...but, Lol I will get it all done How's your day going? I've been thinking about you I'm so happy to read from you, you know work stresses us out at times it isn't always easy but I hope it helps to know you've been in my every thoughts and I just can't stop thinking about you lovely what kind of day you are having.
Can't stop looking at your pictures really, you look so amazingly gorgeous wow you should be proud xxxx, but talking about pictures, the young woman in the picture with the engagement ring on in my last set of pictures I emailed to you happens to be my lovely stepsister Claire (smiles) She's engaged to be married to a wonderful man Matt, they actually met on the Dating agency website and she's the one encouraging me to try this out for the first time as I have never ever considered internet dating to be honest.. her brother Jason is also in one of the pictures with my mum, myself and my step dad, I find time to go visit in Watford once in a while even though I still have my differences with my Mum, I've always held it against her for treating my Dad the way she did and her role in their break up just before he passed away but she's the only real family I got and she's really still a very important part of my life
You really are a sweetheart and I want you to know I really do appreciate your sincerity and honesty opening up to me the way you have so far, which seems to make me want to share so much more with you as time goes on you will know I'm no Casanova xxxxxxx life's too short I don't fool around, I'm in search of my soul mate in all truth and honesty, all I need is someone to accept and love me just the way I am and as passionately as I'll love and accept them in return, all I ask is your tender loving care and humble self. I am really glad to read from you every day and I am growing very fond of you, getting used to reading your emails every time, and it makes me happy, it means we are keeping each other in mind, I am glad this is happening to me at this time of the year because I have been so lonely and hopefully with you I won't have to be alone any more.
Like I said age and distance shouldn't be a barrier for two matured hearts that truly care and know what they both want in their lives... I know where I am going and I still have lots of goals to accomplish but I just havn't found the right woman just yet, one with reasonable short and long term goals to encourage and support in my goals and help me succeed with her goals. I'd like to develop a friendship first and see where it goes from there as I am very cautious. Meaning that it has to be right for both of us, if it is right, you have me 100%. I only date one woman at a time and give her all my attention, always. If it is not right, I don't want to take up your time, I don't ever play head games and the same courtesy would be greatly appreciated.
I give my woman all my attention, she is the most important thing to me and my responsibility is to always make her happy. Looking on the bright side of things.... looking for the good in people... looking forward to the future... just as I do. I enjoy the company of positive people and I enjoy women who appreciate kindness.
This true honesty, I believe, is why I am still single, I believe I have a lot to offer the right person but I want it to be right from the beginning. Someone once said "Truth can run naked and lies have to be covered" I try to live by it. I'm looking for someone who's honest and trustworthy. Without the solid foundation of trust and honesty, no relationship can be built. I don't lie, cheat, deceive or steal and I do not associate with those who do. I enjoy cooking when I can and entertaining family and friends.
I've always believed in following my heart, my dreams and making sure it's achievable. I would never attempt to keep someone from reaching their goals. Only try to help them succeed in all of their goals as much as I can. I stand up for what I believe in and the woman I am interested in is treated as my queen she deserves to be always. I believe in practising good manners, opening doors, saying please, thank you and I have never raised my voice in anger to my lover, not once, not ever,. I have no anger in my life. My health is good, my dad was an exception, my family lineage has a history of living well into their 90's and plan on hitting 100's- My woman must be attractive to me both physically and emotionally. I am a passionate man, I like public display of affection, PDA, as they call it, kissing, holding hands and being in love.
I have no problem expressing my feelings for my lover. The clothes I wear are pretty simple, blue jeans, normal winter tops in winter, and shorts T's in the summer, I mean something comfortable, I can step up to the plate and dress well when needed but I prefer the simple easy clothes for everyday. I love children, I like to do anything outside, hiking, camping,boating, tennis,really I am up for anything that is outdoors except hunting, can't do it because I am afraid of snakes Lol.
Water can be my favourite sometimes... beach, parks, boating, sunsets and being at the cabin makes me happy.
What am I looking for?
A lifetime friend, I am not into dating... I am into courtship, I am looking for my final relationship and it is a committed relationship forever. I am looking for someone who would be willing to commit to one monogamous, fun, thrilling and secure relationship forever. Is that YOU
I hope we can laugh together years from now. Really looking forward to hear from you again soon.
Sincerely Yours
Rich xxx smiles

Half of the above has also been written by a female scammer named Cherry Smith!! just the sex of the recipient changed, again I found that too late for me
#190872 by Dotti Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:11 pm
Unfortunately, what you describe is absolute typical scam.

A few quick searches reveals 2 other artist websites he copied from. Basically, every word he wrote about art and his "profession" is stolen from someone else. He probably knows nothing about art himself.
This is a very common scammer tactic. Basically, they just choose a profession and/or a story, then they google for related information, and copy pieces of information from real websites. I've seen scammers actually paste half of a wikipedia entry into their emails! Some will even create a fake website, copied from a real one, to support their claims. Youwill find examples of this throughout the forum, but probably the most vile was the scammer who claimed to need money for his child with brain cancer. He sent detailed emails about his child's cancer and doctor visits, all copied from the blog of a cancer patient who had tragically died of the disease!
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19933

The writing (when he is using his own and not copy/paste) is definitely African. I won't point out specific examples here because we don't want to educate visiting scammers, but the unmistakeable signs are there.

I am a caring, honest and God fearing man

It is absolutely incredible how much scammers like to harp on honesty and religion, when they make a living violating the principles of both. But just about every scammer profile or introduction will heavily emphasize honesty, trust, etc. This is most likely to convince you that they care about these things too much to turn out to be liars and thieves!

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#190913 by Smith Jones Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:40 pm
Hi lilyc, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to see your post. I have to tell you, my heart goes out to you and how you feel. You have had a scammer like mine. He didn't fit the classic profile, so he wove you a beautiful tale and you fell for it. I did the same. My scammer was a business man, sounded so good. He treated me so nicely, no pushing right away, just lots of great conversation. I felt for the first time in a long time like someone was listening to me. He was interesting and was doing things that fascinated me. What an interesting lie yours told about being a scupltor and all the traveling. It's hard to explain to someone else because well, all we did was open up to someone who seemed interested in us and we believed what they told us.
I understand feeling foolish. I understand feeling compelled to give money out of compassion for this person who you find yourself falling in love with. It's so hard to explain to someone who hasn't been scammed like us. Once you stand back, and people help you unravel the truth, it's easy to see. But not while you're in it.
And yes, I understand missing the person. You fell in love. That was their purpose, to draw you in and make you feel that. Even after I came here, and I've said this before on here, I, an intelligent person, wanted to just come home from work one day and my scammer would be there. He would show up and this would all just be a misunderstanding. I would get that wonderful conversation, feel that love and all would be well. And to realize that is never going to happen, well, it does take time.
I hope you give yourself time to heal and be good to yourself. I'm glad you came here because we know and we care. Please make sure you connect with people around you, as you need that real life connection when you realize that person is never coming to you. Be careful if you stay on dating sites, as there are more scammers out there. Remember all you did was seek love, you didn't ask to be lied to or scammed out of your money. You are not stupid, your heart was open and you got stung. It will get better. I promise.
#191080 by lilyc Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:18 am
Hi Smith Jones,
Thanks for your reply, it really does help knowing other people feel the same and to talk about it. I may have been naïve, but being scammed never crossed my mind for a second when I signed up to the Dating site, I never realised it was so prevalent. With hindsight now, I'm convinced I was contacted before "Richard" by scammers, maybe even him in another guise, but I just ignored them because they were too "full on" for someone who had only just contacted me. I will recognise them in future. I was totally taken in by his apparent knowledge and passion for sculpture, every time I had doubts I would reread his mails, looking for something I had missed, and always came to the conclusion nobody could write like that if it wasn't true!! I tried to find something similar online with no luck, which is why I had to get it up here. I didn't know about googling phrases etc, I found the profiles of the real sculptors more or less by accident! I think the worse thing for me was not being able to talk to anybody about it, nobody I know would ever believe that I would fall for something like this, as you say unless you've been through it, you can't understand how you can be drawn in by them.
He's still texting me begging me not to give up on him after all we've been through together!! to give him another chance, he's still "my Richard" and loves me, all my doubts are in my head!! I wish they were!!
I so miss him, but I will get over it in time, but do you ever trust anyone again??
Still trying to upload photos.
#191095 by Smith Jones Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:35 pm
Lilyc, you will learn to trust again but you are now wiser in ways that you didn't expect. I also had scammers contacting me before the one that got me but they were much more obvious to me. We see many types of scammers- some say they love you in a day and you know it's a joke. Others do like ours and it is just so hard to see it until you are so far into it.
I know how it feels to miss the scammer. It's part of what you can't tell others. It has to do with the feelings you have developed. That's why scammers are so good at their lies. The entire purpose is to wrap you up in the joy of love and you DO miss it when it's suddenly gone. You have to live with disappointment instead of everything you have anticipated over the time you were communicating. I looked at the pictures of him, or shall I say who he was supposed to be, for probably a month. I had to take time to let go.
That said, please make sure, no matter how much he tries, that you don't talk, you don't text, you don't chat. Nothing. It's cold turkey and it's hard but you have to. He will convince you he is who you think he is and not the truth. I call it the beautiful fairy tale, the beautiful lie.
In the end, you will heal. I still have times when I think about the money, where I had hoped to be at this time and I still feel like a fool. But I'm a smarter fool and they won't make a fool of me again. And the same is true for you.
#191191 by lilyc Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:18 pm
Thanks Smith Jones, what you are doing is really appreciated, because it must make it hard to forget your scam whilst you are helping others.
I can't think about the money lost at the moment as I'm still trying to get over losing the man, when I do, I will be angry about the money, but have to accept there's nothing I can do about it.
I just hate feeling so powerless to do anything, to try and stop it from happening to anyone else. By the time some people realise they're being scammed it may be too late and they've already sent money and had their hearts broken, like me!!
Sometimes I wake up in the morning and for a moment think, has this really happened to me? or was it all just a bad dream? and then reality kicks in.
Thanks for listening.
#198691 by lilyc Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:36 pm
An update on scammer Richard Williams, he sent me a message saying that his old email had been hacked into and giving me his new one, [email protected], practically the same. New phone numbers 0027782111496 and 0027812081020. Tells me he is "back" in Cape Town, what a surprise!! I know the old number was a T Mobile pay as you go but don't know anything about these numbers. I can tell by the writing that it's not the original guy, so I don't know what's going on, he actually sent me photos of myself!! and asked ME to send him his!!.
Don't worry, I'm not being taken in by it!! Any thoughts on this??
#198716 by AlanJones Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:33 pm
Both 0027782111496 and 0027812081020 are South African mobile numbers.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#272375 by 1920diva Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:34 pm
I'm trying to find out if this could possibly be the same person I am communicating with. He claims to live in Orlando Florida. He says he is from Brazil but was born in Florida. He says he's going to the United Kingdom on Monday to sell cars. He has sent me photos and he also has a Facebook page with the name Greg Williams. The words I read in your post from him are so similar to the ones I get every evening. He texts me sometimes in the morning but we chat mostly at night. I have talked to him once and he has a Brazilan accent. He has sent me several pictures and he is an African Brazilan.