Information on romance scams and scammers.
#159255 by sandyyw444 Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:38 pm
I have been in contact on yahoo messenger with a man calling himself Barry Hunt. I met him on a social website called Badoo. His email address is [email protected]; he claims he's in the Marines on a mission in Libya. We've been chatting for maybe 3 weeks & he was quick to fall in love & ask me to email his "boss" to become his next of kin so that I could ask for his leave.He claims his wife died in childbirth & he has a son name Alex who's 13 yrs old & has no family.He uses words such as "dearie" "hunnie" "baby" "angel" He is supposedly doing reports & patrols on this 14 month mission;claims hes been in the Marines 10yrs & suppose to be 38 yrs old he even sent pics of himself & his son which appear to be the same persons but I'm sure are fakes he stole somewhere online.I emailed his "boss" just to see the results & of course they ask for a $750.00 processing fee which is refundable after the process. This is a SCAM & I will do whatever it takes to make sure he does not scam anyone. If anyones interested I do have all the pics he sent me. BEWARE OF BARRY HUNT or whoevers calling himself this
Advertisement

#159302 by Jillian Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:10 pm
Welcome Sandy, and thank you for posting this info to help others. Good job spotting the scam, it has most of the usual red flags.

Can you please post some of the emails, particularly the first ones, from this scammer? Let us know if you have questions.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#159860 by Grunt Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 am
meetme.com
barry hunt
35, Male, Single

MS
Barry Hunt
Male, 35, LAGOS, Nigeria

yahoo avatar
#159864 by jolly_roger Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 am
Good job on spotting the scam sandy - well done.
The particular scammer has used the familiar storyline. If you check the e-mail header/s, you will see a group of IP numbers and they will show the origin of the message which probably will correspond to a west african country? If you have not done so already, I'd invite you to scroll to the top of this page. You'll see the site search function on the top right hand side. Type in the words, military scam, or use words to that effect and the results will amaze you. If there is any more details about the scammer, feel free to add whatever info you have. You may not realise it, but your report will help someone in the future.