Information on romance scams and scammers.
#174882 by paulaanneevans Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:56 pm
I have found one of the photos that you have labeled "used by a scammer". This person and I are in correspondence. How can I know if he is who he says he is? When I went to the site, the info was removed and that is what the photos says here. can you help me?
Advertisement

#174883 by Dotti Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:04 pm
I can tell you right now that odds are extremely high that you are in contact with an African scammer.

A General is a high-ranking official in the US military, and the position comes with a very high level of responsibility. In addition, they have to very extremely cautious about the people they deal with, as they frequently have access to a significant amount of classified information. They do not have the time to be hanging out on dating sites and chatting with strange women, and even if they did, the security risk is too high.

In the past few years have encountered literally hundreds of fake profiles supposedly belonging to Generals, and not a single real one.

Add to that the fact that the photo is already being used by scammers, and that a profile was removed, and you hit about a 99% likelihood of it being a scammer.

Post the first few emails he sent (or you can send them to me) and I can most likely tell you for certain.

Note: If he has done any of the following, then he is an African scammer, not an American soldier.
-Asked you to apply for phone, leave, or retirement for him
-Asked you to send him money for ANYTHING
-Asked you to send him a phone or laptop
-Told you that he is getting a major bonus, and you are his beneficiary
-Told you that he is coming to visit for several weeks or more
-Told you that he has to buy plane tickets or pay a fee for leave or to retire.
-Told you that he has a child who is currently living with a nanny
-suggested that his child does not have access to medical care
-Told you that he cannot give you his AKO address, or said it isn't working, or said that you can't email it for some reason

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#174885 by jolly_roger Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:35 pm
paulaanneevans wrote:I have found one of the photos that you have labeled "used by a scammer". This person and I are in correspondence. How can I know if he is who he says he is? When I went to the site, the info was removed and that is what the photos says here. can you help me?

Hello paulaanneevans and a warm welcome to the forums. The chances you are in contact with someone who he says who he is non existent in this case! If the image has previously been shown in the forums, the image has been connected to a scam. As Dotti commented, Generals are high ranking officials and they do not flip-flop around on so called dating sites in contact with strangers. It simply does not happen except in the wobbly warped minds of scam artists. I presume the tricksters info was removed from the so called dating site? That frequently happens for two reasons, a) the slimy scamartist will remove it when they think a target is within their web or b) the info is removed by the admin team of the site the profile is on. Scammers know their fake profile will be spotted sooner or later.
Your best course of action is to simply walk away and cease all communications with the scummy low life!
Do not give any rhyme or reason because everything the scam artist has told you is a lie!
#215092 by freeonacloud2 Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:45 am
I have been talking to General James Barry for almost a year now and he is very convincing but I still feel he is not who he says he is. There are three General James Barry's that had contacted me on SKYPE within days of one another, then wanted to go to Yahoo to talk, I know the reason for yahoo also, they could come on cam and use a picture or even show you a movie, no one would come on cam and talk, the excuse being it wasn't allowed by the army. But yet they could talk on the computer, and give me email addresses, hmm. He is asking me to help him by sending money to pay for retirement papers so he can come home. He says he was deployed from England and that is where he wanted the money sent, the one that goes by gen.jamesbarry did also and it was a mere amount compared to generaljamesbarry63, Then generaljamesbarry asked for nothing, probably would have if I would have keep talking to him, he Emailed me and asked why I wasn't talking to him when he came online and I told that I deleted all of them and he said that was probably the best thing to do, so I figured him for a scammer also. Besides he does not speak at times like the well educated man he is, we all make typo's but not the same ones all the time. Also he has a daughter Lisa, Lucay and a son Carter.
I do think he might be just one person also, just using different variations of his name.
also gen.jamesbarry has a face book > says I ask too many questions < and is on a dating site and says he only has two children, he has blocked me from his facebook but is also deleted and on my Yahoo ignore list. They all used the same profile pictures also.
#215144 by Dotti Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:39 pm
I have been talking to General James Barry for almost a year now and he is very convincing but I still feel he is not who he says he is.

You have never been talking to General James Barry. You have been talking to an African romance scammer who is posing as General James Barry. This is 100% certain.

He is asking me to help him by sending money to pay for retirement papers so he can come home.

1) Generals do not need other people to pay for things for them. They make plenty of money themselves.
2) If a soldier (regardless of rank) is eligible to retire, he simply does so. There is no cost to retire. If he is not eligible to retire, he cannot. He has to continue to serve until he is eligible. In either scenario, there is no money to be paid by him, you, or anyone else for retirement papers. This scenario only exists in the fictional world of African scammers.

Are all the profiles the same scammer? Possibly. But it is equally possible that different scammers are behind the 3 profiles, as there are thousands of Young African men running these scams, and it is not uncommon for them to sell/copy/steal each to/from other scammers.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#215709 by freeonacloud2 Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:57 am
dottie,
I sent you some sections of conversation and I get a message to check the mail address because yours does not exist? I sent it from my gmail address and tried to forward emails from all 3 Gen, J.B. from Yahoo and got the same message. My gmail address is Removed (BW) please send Dotti a PM.
#215710 by Bryon Williams Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:04 am
Send the email by removing the spaces in Dotti's email address.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/