Information on romance scams and scammers.
#206737 by emselizabeth Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:14 pm
Hello,
I was contacted by this user on match.com; I am not the first to be fooled by this person, he just changes his email address. The Sgt. Major Phillip McDowell "I am retiring in a few weeks" story is the same. He sent me 4 pictures of "himself", haven't figured how to upload it quite yet. - Boy do I feel like an idiot! :oops:

Phillip McDowell
5/04/14
Photos
[email protected]
From: Phillip McDowell ([email protected]) You moved this message to its current location.
Sent: Sun 5/04/14 12:35 AM
To:
Hey beautiful..
Thought I'd send you this short message with my pictures. Hope I got the right email address and hope you'll like them as they are the best I've got, lol. I am 6'2ft tall, grey hair, blue eyes, a none smoker and divorced with a daighter in college, have been single for 8yrs now. I am in the army and currently stationed in Kabul, Afghanistan but coming home on retirement in a few couple of weeks. I will be looking forward to hearing from you soon and will like to chat more and get to know you more only if still interested after looking at the pictures. I will be interested in us chatting more on yahoo IM now. What do you think?
What do you look for in a man?
Enjoy your night
Phil
Advertisement

#206746 by Smith Jones Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 pm
Hi emselizabeth and welcome to scamwarners. You can send any Mod or Admin your pictures if you are having problems posting them. It does help identify the scammer, for as you have seen, they change some of the details but others they keep.
I understand how you feel about being fooled by a scammer. I was on match.com and had no clue I was being taken in by a liar and thief. It can happen to almost anyone. You are dealing with someone whose whole reason for being there is to pull you in, make you feel love and appreciated, and get you so hooked you will send him money. It is easy to see after others point out the details, or you come on this site and see the variety of stories and styles of the scammers. But in the middle of it, when you want to feel needed and wanted, the blinders go on and after awhile, it's just easy to enjoy the lies. Until they start hurting. Until the money requests come pouring in and that's all that becomes the world you are in.
Thank you for coming here and posting. Any more details you can provide will help others. Be thankful you finally saw what was going on and stopped it. Make sure you don't contact your scammer any more. And remember, you will bear some scars but you will go forward a wiser person.