If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#60622 by susancat Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:00 pm
Just wanted to post and expose the address of Monica using email [email protected] and [email protected] who responded to my advert on the GumTree website, attempting to us Paypal with a pickup of my goods by someone else because she was out of town. Offered to pay $200 over my sale price! Attempted to track the email and IP address but could not be found or was detected as suspicious! Of course i did not reply...just wanted to warn others who use the wonderful GumTree website for HONEST selling and buying. Beware! :twisted:
Advertisement

#60653 by Katharina Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:45 am
Welcome susancat :D and thank you for posting this warning! It will help others, even if they don't take the time to post here after they found out.

To make your warning even more efficient, could you please post the text of the first email you got? Some victims do a Google search on the text.

To other readers: The scammer isn't going to use PayPal, he will send an email from a fake PayPal account he has created himself.
#60887 by GaryHutz Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:34 am
SAME SCAM HERE:

Here's the text that was sent:

"What is the best offer for your ad? kindly get back to me on mmmdv2005 at globomail.com"

Looks like it was speech to text, but I don't have that activated on my service.

Then I received an email reply:

"Ok just wanted to make sure nothing is been left out.
I will be purchasing this for $1,200. Payment will be sent using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well. I will arrange with someone to have this picked up for your location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment.In the meantime, can you send me more pictures (if available)?
Regards

Monica"

she/he doesn't even mention the item(s) I have up on Gumtree at the moment. $1,200 is $300 over the price for both items on sale...... :shock:
#60939 by GaryHutz Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:45 pm
ANOTHER VERSION:

I also recieved a similar one:

Here's the SMS Txt:

from number +07821835828

"About your item on gumtree,how much is the final price..pls reply me back to my [email protected] Await your urgent reply, Diana"

Then this reply in the email

Hi,
How are you?Thanks for your response.I will be paying you $880 via my PayPal account,if my offer is accepted please send me the following information for PayPal and if you don't have an account you can easily create an account via http://www.paypal.com.au,so i will be able to transfer the payment right now.
transaction;

PayPal Email
Phone Number

I am a cabin crew with Virgin Airlines and do not have much time around me.Hope to hear from you as soon as possible so that i can make the payment and arrange for pick up as i will like the items to be picked.

Kind Regards,

Diana.

Bloody scammers...... :x
#61198 by VDoherty Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:27 pm
Hello,

I am new to both Gumtree and ScamWarners, but have to say, love the information on ScamWarners. I have received a text message and then emails from "Diana" (Diana Peter <[email protected]>) too as per people above this post. Amongst other things, what finally gave it away for me was the long process that involves getting the funds (going to Western Union, sending a number through etc).

I have made your payment and the money has been deducted from my account.. due to the new security measure between Buyer and Seller, PayPal as already place the funds on pending until you email them the MTCN Number of the pick up agent fee..Check your PayPal email Inbox or junk for the notification email from PayPal.

You have to locate the Western Union Money Transfer at many post office,Bureau de change,western union retails outlet and anywhere you see western union sign.
You can complete the transaction and email PayPal the MTCN Number You got from western union money transfer after the pick up fee is sent..
Here is the information the money will be sent to:

Name:Lennon Michael
Address:46 baron's court road,
hammer smith,w149du.
United Kingdom.

Await your urgent reply,

Diana.

Surely it can't be that complex, so I have started investigating!

This experience has also highlighted the need to alert others of such activities, so don't be shy, advise people of scams you are aware of and you never know how much money and grief you actually save someone.

Thanks ScamWarners and those who have taken the time to post on this site. :)
#61224 by Katharina Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:17 am
Welcome VDoherty,
and thank you for contributing! Your warning will be valuable for future victims who do a Google search, and even if they don't post here you will see how often your post has been read in the weeks to come.
#61426 by claire.reeves Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:38 pm
Thanks so much for posting about Monica@globomail. I too was approached this morning with this text following ad on Gumtree....
"What is the best offer for your ad? kindly get back to me on mmmdv2012 at globomail.com"
Luckily, I have several ads and was suspicious not to be able to text back so looked up on this site - great info for the wary!!
Thanks again!
#70099 by ninx72 Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:40 pm
I just got an identical email to the one you got!!! It seemed like it could be legit, but his english was dodgey, didnt specifically refer to any of my items, is out of town, wants to pay by paypal and a friend would pick it up, and said he would pay $110 over what i asked for. he is using the name william wood, [email protected]

This is his email that he sent me....

Ok just wanted to make sure nothing is been left out.
I will be purchasing this for $600. Payment will be sent using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well. I will arrange with someone to have this picked up for your location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment.In the meantime, can you send me more pictures (if available)?
Regards,
Williams.

So glad I was suspicious before going any further.
#70192 by Bubbles Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:01 am
Welcome to ScamWarners ninx72. Congratulations on realizing this is a scammer. Your best course of action is to stop communicating with this criminal. Nothing good will comr from keeping in contact with him.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#83698 by renaud Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:22 am
First ad posted on gumtreee.com.au last night and 3 scams so far:

1. [email protected] - see ninx72 post above +16464948367

2. from [email protected] +16312567406
Thanks for the swift response...i have gone through your advertisement
and i am satisfied with it and i'm willing to know the lowest price of
it. As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and
secure way to pay online(PayPal).
I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after
the payment have been made ...so no shipping included.
You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and
also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal
account, you can easily set up one...log on to http://www.paypal.com.au and

3. from Rebecca Foley [b][email protected] [/b] +13129458977
Alright Mate,
Thanks for your swift reply. I am interested and I would have loved to come for viewing and inspection but i am currently overseas at the moment and i want this item picked up before i get back. Due to my inability to make a bank deposit, I would be paying via PayPal which is safer for me. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an account at http://www.paypal.com.au if you dont have one. I will make a concrete pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your PayPal account. Have a nice day.Cheers.
Compliment of the season
#84116 by smbotans Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 am
1, i too have recently been contacted by [email protected] with the following message

what is the condition and price for your item. kindly get back to me [email protected]

2 things i found odd: one that he did not specifiy the item (as mentioned in a post above) and two, he sent me the message as an sms and not as an email and he asked the price of the item which was clearly displayed on gumtree

thinking he was genuine he corresponded with him by email and found the following which made me suspicious: he did not answer any questions i asked, his english is not very good, he never asked for my address even though i suggested a day for him to check out the goods, he did not commit to any particular day suggested to him to come and check out the goods

2. i received a similar sms a few days later after posting more items on gumtree ... this time from [email protected] with the following sms message

just view your item posting in gumtree. i want to know the price and condition. [email protected] reply soonest. thanks jay

i have said before and i will say it again ... one of the biggest problems with the internet is that it provides people with anonymity ... this means that there is no accountability and people will do in secret what they would never do face to face

ggrr!!!!!
#84625 by dizzydodge Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:54 am
I have also just dealt with "[email protected] through gumtree, he was acting with an agent "Bryan Banes" as his shipping agent. But unfortunatly i was douped out of $493 via a western union transfer. I have forwarded all the fake paypal emails to Paypal as spoof email. I have also reported it to the A.F.P. Fingers crossed they are caught soon. I am currently playing along so the address is not deleted and end up a dead end.