If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#217562 by Oscar Oscar Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:43 pm
Subject: My apartment pictures

Hello,
The flat is fully furnished two-Room-Apartment attached with separate
bathroom and Toilet you only have to share the living room and kitchen
with your flatmate, One of the room has been occupied by Your flatmate
is a danish girl called Josefien, she will be moving in xx
arriving from Denmark . at the moment is just one room that is vacant
now
My stay here in India is long term i will not be moving back to Holland anytime soon that is the reason i am renting out the apartment, because i will need
a tenant who will take very good care of the apartment while i am not
around. how long do you intend to rent the apartment? these are my
flat picture have a look and get back to me.hope to hear from you
soon.

Janne

The original post for the house was on the website kamernet.nl.
At some point during the online conversation about the apartment (availability, arrange a visit,...) the scammer asked for the victim's email address in order for him "to send some pictures that he had not been able to load on the website".

The conversation continued by email and not through the website. The pictures were actually attached to the email shown above.

The scammer then explained that he had the keys to the apartment with him in India and they would be sent to the victim's home address after the payment (deposit + 3 months) was made and the contract was signed and sent back via email.

The payment was to be made using MONEYGRAM. Unfortunately it was made and it was eventually collected in New Delhi.

A fake DHL receipt was provided showing that the keys would arrive after one week. The tracking number was wrong.

Between the day of the payment and the day of the expected delivery the scam continued in the form of a "fake cheque scam" of which I'm going to talk about in a different post.
Advertisement

#217568 by vonpaso xlura Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:09 pm
Thanks for posting and sorry you lost money to this scam. Real landlords do not ask for money before sending keys to let you look at an apartment and do not ask for payment by MoneyGram.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10