Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#197810 by Vero882 Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:14 pm
So at 0230 this morning I received an email from a "Hart Bickel." The email was as follows with the subject like being Data Entry/Customer Service Position:

Dear applicant,
As in regards to your resume that was forwarded to our head department for the Data Entry/Customer Service position, The Hiring Desk has reviewed your resume for the Data Entry/Customer Service position and we believe you have the required qualifications to proceed. This is a Data Entry/Customer Service position, Working hours are Flexible, Monday-Friday.The starting pay is $24.00 per/hr for this Data Entry/Customer Service position, you are also expected to come online through Yahoo Messenger during working hours.
I want you to setup a yahoo messenger and if you got one already use it, add Mr Davis Robin the Interview Manager and IM he on this ID ([email protected]) asap for the interview/briefing and comprehensive job details.This is our first step to proceed further. he will be on online waiting for you. Interview Schedule date/time is Friday- Saturday(8am-1pm).

Best Regards

So already I'm feeling a little sketchy about this, but I signed into my Yahoo to test the waters. Here was the conversion that happened. Notice how much they avoid my inquisition about location. My username will be deleted, however this is the actual username used, so keep in mind if you ever hear from this company!

Session Start: Thu Apr 17 12:46:33 2014 -0600
davis_robin65: Hello,how are you doing?
J: I'm good. How are you sir?
davis_robin65: I am doing good
davis_robin65: Are you ready for the job briefing and interview?
J: If you're available sir. The email I received late last night said it was only Friday and Saturday.
davis_robin65: Okay, we can start with that now
J: Alright. Which company is this again Sir?
J: It didn't mention it at all in the email.
davis_robin65: It is Ariba company
J: I don't remember applying for them actually.
J: Is there a location in the Denver/Aurora area of Colorado?
davis_robin65: Yes your resume was forwarded to our company
J: Very well. Apologies for asking all the questions Sir.
davis_robin65: No problem
davis_robin65: Can we proceed with the job briefing and interview now?
J: Yes sir.
davis_robin65: Next would be the briefing about the Job and the company. I advise you read with care.
Just follow the briefing and you can ask questions when i am through. Let me know when you have finished reading and understanding every line. You will be allowed to ask questions later.With each line just respond with an Okay.
J: Okay.
davis_robin65: Welcome To Ariba Company.
davis_robin65: My name is Mrs Davis Robin the Hiring Manager of Ariba Company... Am here to brief you more about the job briefing/interview and will also like to know if you are ready for your interview.
J: Oh goodness I am so sorry the Email said Mr Davis. I greatly apologize Ma'am.
davis_robin65: No problem
davis_robin65: What are your full name, age, sex and location ?
J: Jon(Deleted for my safety), (age), Male and I'm in -------, Colorado
davis_robin65: Here's the company website ((Link: http://www.ariba.com)http://www.ariba.com). You are required to use (FIVE) minutes of your time to glance through the website and read more about the company. let me know as soon as you are done so we can proceed with the briefing..Okay ?
J: Yes I was looking through the website once you told me the company name, however I never saw a link for locations.
J: Ma'am?
davis_robin65: Can we proceed now?
J: Yes ma'am.
davis_robin65: I will start by briefing you about the company
davis_robin65: Ariba is an SAP company. Every day, we help our customers find opportunities to cut costs, reduce risk, and grow revenue through better collaboration with trading partners. We enable that collaboration through the Ariba Network — a cloud-based community where you’ll find buying, selling, We also host other online communities where business commerce professionals network and share information and best practices.

davis_robin65: Ariba helps ensure that your supplies arrive in a timely fashion. The company provides spend management software and consulting services used by manufacturers, retailers, and distributors to connect with suppliers and to manage procurement. Its applications automate buying, help target preferred suppliers, and manage enterprise sourcing. Companies use its tools to procure such services as equipment repair, temporary staffing, and travel. Ariba works with more than 150 million suppliers.
davis_robin65: Ariba was one of the first business-to-business Internet companies to go public (in 1999). The company's stock more than tripled from the offering price on opening day,With the bursting of the dot-com bubble, Ariba's stock price fell dramatically to the low double digits in July 2001, where it remained for the rest of its life as an independent company.
davis_robin65: Ariba’s solutions combine cloud-based applications with a community of partners and services such as analytics, financing, and ratings to help companies buy, sell, and manage their cash more efficiently and effectively. It's a very compelling platform for today's global environment.
davis_robin65: Ariba was an idea powerful enough to bring together venturous investors, talented employees, and strategic partners. And powerful enough to survive. Whether facing the pitfalls that come with any change endeavor or cataclysmic events like the dot-com bust, faithfulness to our idea of helping trading partners connect and collaborate has helped Ariba stay the course.
davis_robin65: Main duties and responsibilities is to enter data into computers. This data may be text and numbers. It may relate to customers, suppliers and manufacturers and may be scientific, technical, financial or sales-based. The computer system dictates the way the worker enters the data. The system requires data to be in a specific format so it can produce material such as invoices and analytical reports. Can you handle it ?
J: It sounds simple enough.
davis_robin65: You will undergo three days training from your training supervisor, He/She will training you on how to work with the programs accurate and other Data entry works you will need to get done.Your training is going to be done online .

You will Earn $24 per hour and training $19 per hour You will receive your pay via Direct deposit or Paycheck weekly.
davis_robin65: Will you like to be paid Bi weekly or weekly, Direct deposit or paycheck and what bank do you affiliate with ?
J: Ma'am, A question for you, if I may?
J: Where is the location in which I will be working?
davis_robin65: You we be working from home for the mean time the company is building an office close to your location you will be moving in once the company is done with the project
J: Where is the location of this office and what is the time frame on the completion of the building?
davis_robin65: The company will let you know about that once you are hired is that clear to you?
davis_robin65: Will you like to be paid Bi weekly or weekly, Direct deposit or paycheck and what bank do you affiliate with ?
J: Bi weekly would be fine and I am with (Bank name Here).
J: However, I'm going to go with paycheck because I don't feel comfortable providing my information over an open communication network.
davis_robin65: BENEFIT
Our comprehensive and competitive benefits package represents Ariba's significant investment in our employees. An integral component of our dedication to excellence, it also recognizes and rewards outstanding performance.

In addition to health and welfare benefits–including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance coverage for employees and their dependents–we offer attractive benefits not commonly found elsewhere. These include:

A 401 k plan in which we match a portion of employee contributions with Ariba common stock which vests automatically
An employee stock purchase plan to allow employees to prepare for their retirement
Employee assistance program
Flexible spending accounts
And much more
davis_robin65: Our paid time off (PTO) policy is also very competitive: 20 PTO days for full-time employees, plus nine holidays and one floating holiday. What's more, we currently offer a winter break between the Christmas and New Year's Day holidays. Recognizing the importance of work/life balance, Ariba encourages employees to enjoy all of their PTO.
davis_robin65: We are now on question and answer interview section. As soon as you are done answering any question, you are to write DONE...Understood ?
davis_robin65: * What's your full name,age,sex and where are you located ?

* Are you currently employed?
J: Jon(Deleted), (age), Male, ----------- Colorado
(Current employment also hidden for my safety.)
J: Done.
davis_robin65: * Describe your computer experience including applications used (MS Word, Excel, etc.), computer environments (Windows, Macintosh, etc.), word processing, database and spreadsheet skills ?
J: Being in (current company), I use all of the above programs, however I'm still learning the more advanced algorithms and functions of Excel. I am a Windows only user, Macs confuse me.
davis_robin65: * Please brag to us about a client relationship that you have built that seems especially effective, where you needed to overcome some obstacles to establish this effective relationship. What do you think makes it work ?
J: I'm no boaster Ma'am, but I'll do my best.
J: When I used to work customer service at (prior employment) there was a customer that always came to me. However, between us there was a language barrier (Russian to English) and so I had to work my best to try to understand any parts and equipment he needed.
davis_robin65: * Do you have a Printer, Fax Machine,Scanner, Type Writer and a Photocopier ?
davis_robin65: *Are you seeking for part time or full time job?
J: I have a Printer and a Scanner.
J: I am seeking full time employment.
davis_robin65: * How would you describe yourself during work?
J: I have a high work ethic and like to continue until work is finished. However, like everyone, I need a break now and then to walk away and clear my mind.
davis_robin65: * Tell Us why you feel you are the right person for this Job ?
J: I feel I might provide a high work ethic and moral to the company. My knowledge of computers would be a high asset to the company as well.
davis_robin65: * What is your Strengths, weekness and Knowledge ?
J: That's quite a broad question, ma'am.
J: In short, Computers would probably be a strong point. Handwriting would be a weakness of mine, as my writing looks like chicken scratch.
J: As far as knowledge, I know of many things, so if you're looking for a specific answer I'm going to have to ask you to specify please.
davis_robin65: * Well you have done well so far and you seem like a perfect fit for this position
davis_robin65: * Hold on online while i send your answers to my superiors for review and consideration okay ?

***During this time I called the company and that conversation is listen below.***

davis_robin65: I am back now..the result for the interview is on my desk?
* davis_robin65 buzzes you!
J: Sorry Ma'am. I was on the phone.
davis_robin65: Congratulations the company has decided to give you a chance for you to work for the company and will like to see your diligence,Charisma,Commitment to this job.
J: Thank you Ma'am, but I feel I'm going to decline your offer.
davis_robin65: Really?
J: Yes ma'am. Upon contacting the Ariba phone line and checking the name "Davis Robin" they had no idea who you were ma'am.
J: Also, never in my life have I interviewed over an instant messaging applicaiton.
davis_robin65: Okay no problem you are free to decline if you feel you can't continue with that
davis_robin65: Have a great day
J: Thank you and you as well Ma'am.
Session Close (davis_robin65): Thu Apr 17 13:52:38 2014 -0600

During this entire conversation I was researching the company and eventually found a phone number. This is how that conversation went.
Female who answered: Hello this is Ariba.
Long pause.
Me: Yes who am I speaking with?
Female: Ariba.
Me:Okay... I received an email from one of your employees and was curious if you could check the name for me.
Female: Sure what's the name?
Me: Davis Robin.
Long pause with computer keys being typed in the background.
Female: No, I don't see that name in our directory. Is there anything else I can do for you today sir?
Me: No, thank you and have a good day.

So everyone beware of this because it is beyond sketchy.
Last edited by Vero882 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Advertisement

#197811 by vonpaso xlura Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:19 pm
Thanks for posting! Companies do not interview by Yahoo chat, and "Davis Robin" sounds like a name made up by a West African.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#197813 by Vero882 Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:30 pm
Absolutely. Sorry for using codes. I figured with the message being so long I wanted to make it smaller so I used code instead of quote. Many thanks!