Room for Rent and other rental scams
#205683 by RosaM Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:26 pm
The email address being used is [email protected] and it is for an apartment in the Exchange building in Vancouver, BC. This is the email I received from him on June 11th, 2014:

Hello,
The apartment located in 388 W 1ST Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Y 0B2 is still available. As you can see from the pictures is in excellent condition, very clean and very well kept. I never rented this apartment and I want to find a responsible tenant to take good care of the place. The apartment is fully furnished and it has all the appliances. Of course you can use everything from the apartment or if you want to use your furniture you can deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. It has 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom. The rent is 1250CAD/month and includes everything: heat, hydro, water, electricity, 2 parking spots underground, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer also included, cable and internet- full package paid for 1 year in advance. You will have full access to all the amenities in the building: sauna, pool, fitness room, gym, party room. From my point of view I'm sure that you will like the apartment and you will rent it on spot. This apartment is a private property, paid in full and no mortgage on it. Schools and groceries near-by. I'm sure you will have everything that you need there because is one of the most important areas in the city. Pets are allowed. About me now. I'm 45 years old, I'm married with 2 children. I'm an engineer at Black&Veatch Global Engineering in telecom industry. The company I work for they have projects all around the world so most of my time I'm traveling. I will be away for the next 6 years so it's free for you to stay there as long as you want. I want to rent the place on my own so I need to send you the keys and papers so you can check the apartment.
Best regards,
Ted

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second email I received from him on June 12, 2014:

Hello,
Glad to hear from you. As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 1250CAD everything included and also you will have full access to all the building amenities. The rent will not increase for the entire rental period. I need to know how many people will stay in the apartment and also what type of rental contract do you prefer: 6 months with option of renewal or 1 year with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or any other payment method that is suitable for both of us. The apartment is in excellent condition like in the pictures and you just need to receive the keys and contract so you can check the place.
At this moment I'm located in London, United Kingdom and I think we need a safe way to complete this deal therefore the solution is provided by a worldwide third party company called Deposit Protection Service (www.depositprotection.com). They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package and using their service you will be able to check the apartment before any funds are released to me. You will have full control of the payment until you will check the apartment. I'm registered with this company since 2009 and I have a record of 45 transactions as landlord and as a tenant also. They are really professional and they have great services.
If you have any other questions about the process you can reach me any time at: +44 20 3287 6319 (if you are calling from Canada or United States you need to dial 011-44-20-3287 6319) or you can email me and I will respond ASAP.
I will wait for your email if you are interested so I can provide you with all the steps of this transaction, everything that you need to know about this process before we get this started. I think is right for both of us.
Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

-----------------------------
I'm sad that this is a scam, because the place was like a dream come true. But, I'm glad I was careful and I hope that everyone else will be too. Good luck house hunting..
Advertisement

#244070 by Dave V Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:30 pm
Leo Cabebe
11:34 AM (55 minutes ago)

to me
Hello,

The apartment located in 736 Spadina Ave , Toronto, ON M5S 2J6 is still available. As you can see from the pictures is in excellent condition, very clean and very well kept. I never rented this apartment and I want to find a responsible tenant to take good care of the place. The apartment is fully furnished and it has all the appliances. Of course you can use everything from the apartment or if you want to use your furniture you can deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. It has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The rent is 1300CAD/month and includes everything: heat, hydro, water, electricity, 2 parking spots underground, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer also included, cable and internet- full package paid for 1 year in advance. You will have full access to all the amenities in the building. From my point of view I'm sure that you will like the apartment and you will rent it on spot.
This apartment is a private property, paid in full and no mortgage on it. Schools and groceries near-by. I'm sure you will have everything that you need there because is one of the most important areas in the city. Pets are allowed.
About me now. I'm 45 years old, I'm married with 2 children. I'm an engineer at Black&Veatch Global Engineering in telecom industry. The company I work for they have projects all around the world so most of my time I'm traveling. I will be away for the next 6 years so it's free for you to stay there as long as you want. I want to rent the place on my own so I need to send you the keys and papers so you can check the apartment.

Best regards,

Leo
#261102 by LoriGBermuda Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:05 pm
Hi RosaA,

I almost bought into this guys scam. Your post saved me some grief. Thank you! I got two e mails from this guy. The e mails were verbatim to the ones you posted with the exception of address, rental amount and name. This time he was Mike Bushra. After reading your warning, I sent the guy an e mail. It read "Dear Ted, Mike, or whatever your name is, This must get rather tiresome. I will do everything I can to enlighten people about you."

Lori

So check this out. I didn't expect to hear back, but got this e mail from "Mike"

Hi again,

You need to deposit to Deposit Protection Service the amount of 1300CAD ( first month of rent from contract +damage deposit) so they can proceed with the delivery and you can receive the rental package (keys and documents). I will pay for the shipping that will take 2-3 business days. Here are the transaction steps:

1- I need to provide to Deposit Protection Service your contact details so I need your full name, mailing and phone number.

2- I will contact Deposit Protection Service to deposit the keys and rental contract on your name as the tenant who will live there

3- Deposit Protection Service will check the package content to see if there are all the documents and apartment keys. All the papers are double checked by their Real Estate Professional Department here in London and also they will confirm the ownership with the building manager.

4- Deposit Protection Service will send you the DELIVERY notification to inform you that they have the keys and the papers in their custody. The Payment instructions to complete the transaction will be also provided in the notification from them.

5- You need to send the amount of 1300CAD ( for the 1st month of rent from contract and damage deposit) to the the Deposit Protection Service payment representative given to you in the notification. The payment needs to be sent within 24 hours after you receive the transaction details or else they are charging with me an additional fee.

6- After the payment is completed you need to send the complete details to Deposit Protection Service.

7- Deposit Protection Service will verify the money transfer and if everything is in order they will start the shipping procedures using UPS or DHL Service.

8- After you receive the package, you must go to check the apartment and in 5 days (inspection time) you need to contact Deposit Protection Service to inform them if you keep the apt or not.

9- If you decide to keep the apartment you just need to sign the lease agreement and Deposit Protection Service will release the funds to me. If you don`t want to keep the apartment you will receive a full payment refund including any payment fee paid for it.

Please note that Deposit Protection Service can NOT release the funds to my name without your approval. You have a full payment control.

Please contact me if you have the funds available (1300CAD) and send me your complete details so we can move forward.

Hopefully everything is clear to you and for any other questions you can call me anytime or send me your number and I will call you.

Regards

Ha, Ha, notice he didn't sign it. Probably forgot who he was today!
Thanks again for the warning.

Lori
#261106 by Bryon Williams Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:52 pm
^^^ Welcome to Scamwarners,

Were the email addresses used the same? If not could you please post them in case someone searches for the information.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#269245 by joedomcod Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:03 pm
He is back in Hamilton. Going by [email protected]. Re 174 Mountain park Avenue.

Wording and instructions almost identical. When I requested the unit number and registered owner he came back with deposit protection instructions and avoided answering my questions.
Did anyone find his IP address. Too good to be true. - a house sitting situation - my ass.