Room for Rent and other rental scams
#110603 by pferg Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:39 pm
I googled this persons name because their ploy seem like a scam and I found another post about this person...
This is the email that was sent to me...

To: Removed - CW
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:52 AM
Subject: $900 / 1br - 800ft² - Furnished

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time to look at my property. My name is Tiffany Roseen, I'm 37 years old, I'm the owner of this condo(1 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms, 800 square footage). It's located in 633 Ocean Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90402. The unit is equipped with recessed lighting, the condo comes with one parking spots, a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want use your furniture),there is also a linen closet, and most importantly, a new front loading stacked washer and drier. Pets allowed. I've moved to United Kingdom with my job and decided to rent it because the rent is very expensive here. The price is so low because I'm here and is very hard to find a tenant. I can rent you the condo for min. 1 month and max. 6 years(or more). I really want to find a good and responsible tenant for it, and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself. The rent for whole the condo for 1 month is $900.00 including all utilities(water, electricity, internet, cable, parking , air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher) and the security deposit is $900.00 (you'll get the deposit back at your departure-or you can use it to pay your last month of rent) and I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account. You can move in the condo in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys and I have nobody in United States that could show you the condo. In order to check it, see if you like it(I'm sure that you'll love it), you need to receive the keys and the contract.
If you want to rent the condo, please e-mail me back and I will explain you how the payment and shipping will take place!

Have a nice day
Advertisement

#112452 by feschsticks Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:56 am
She just did the same thing to me!

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time to look at my property. My name is Tiffany Roseen, I'm 39 years old, I'm the owner of this condo(2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1300 square footage). It's located in 267 Linwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14209. The unit is equipped with recessed lighting, central air and heat, the condo comes with one parking spots, a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want use your furniture),there is also a linen closet, and most importantly, a new front loading stacked washer and drier. Pets allowed. I've moved to United Kingdom with my job and decided to rent it because the rent is very expensive here. The price is so low because I'm here and is very hard to find a tenant. I can rent you the condo for min. 1 month and max. 6 years(or more). I really want to find a good and responsible tenant for it, and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.The rent for whole the condo for 1 month is $500.00 including all utilities(water,electricity, internet, cable, parking , air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher) and the security deposit is $500.00 (you'll get the deposit back at your departure-or you can use it to pay your last month of rent) and I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account. You can move in the condo in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys and I have nobody in United States that could show you the condo. In order to check it, see if you like it(I'm sure that you'll love it), you need to receive the keys and the contract.
If you want to rent the condo, please e-mail me back and I will explain you how the payment and shipping will take place!

Have a nice day

E-mail [email protected]
#112650 by emsy34 Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:08 pm
I got the same scam! :-( I wish people didn't do this because it is so hard to find apartments!

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time to look at my property. My name is Tiffany, I'm 39 years old, I'm the owner of this condo(2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1300 square footage). It's located in 267 Linwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14209. The unit is equipped with recessed lighting, central air and heat, the condo comes with one parking spots, a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want use your furniture),there is also a linen closet, and most importantly, a new front loading stacked washer and drier. Pets allowed. I've moved to United Kingdom with my job and decided to rent it because the rent is very expensive here. The price is so low because I'm here and is very hard to find a tenant. I can rent you the condo for min. 1 month and max. 6 years(or more). I really want to find a good and responsible tenant for it, and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.The rent for whole the condo for 1 month is $500.00 including all utilities(water,electricity, internet, cable, parking , air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher) and the security deposit is $500.00 (you'll get the deposit back at your departure-or you can use it to pay your last month of rent) and I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account. You can move in the condo in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys and I have nobody in United States that could show you the condo. In order to check it, see if you like it(I'm sure that you'll love it), you need to receive the keys and the contract.

Have a nice day
#116327 by ksagar Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:03 am
TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IS RIGHT!

I recieved this email yesterday, July 27, 2012 from:
Tiffany Rose <[email protected]>;

Email Subject line: 1300 ft FABULOUS 2 BDRM

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time to look at my property. My name is Tiffany, I'm 39 years old, I'm the owner of this condo(2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1300 square footage). It's located in 267 Linwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14209. The unit is equipped with recessed lighting, central air and heat, the condo comes with one parking spots, a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want use your furniture),there is also a linen closet, and most importantly, a new front loading stacked washer and drier. Pets allowed. I've moved to United Kingdom with my job and decided to rent it because the rent is very expensive here. The price is so low because I'm here and is very hard to find a tenant. I can rent you the condo for min. 1 month and max. 6 years(or more). I really want to find a good and responsible tenant for it, and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.The rent for whole the condo for 1 month is $500.00 including all utilities(water,electricity, internet, cable, parking , air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher) and the security deposit is $500.00 (you'll get the deposit back at your departure-or you can use it to pay your last month of rent) and I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account. You can move in the condo in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys and I have nobody in United States that could show you the condo. In order to check it, see if you like it(I'm sure that you'll love it), you need to receive the keys and the contract.

Have a nice day

ALSO RECEIVED A REPLY:

Thank you for your reply.
Before going further with anything I must tell you that for payments I will use the eBay Company, they will secure the transaction of payments. I will open a CASE ID# at eBay Company for this transaction and I will give them your full name, shipping info, phone# and indicate you as my tenant.

After that, they will contact you with the payment details, and they will ask you to send them a refundable deposit, $1,000.00 in 24 hours(the money will be for the first month of rent + the security deposit). After they receive your deposit, they will notify me immediately to start the shipping of the keys and the contract.

You will receive a tracking number in max 24 hours after they receive your deposit. The keys will reach to you in 3-4 days. After you'll receive the keys and the contract, the 14 days of inspection period will start( you'll have 14 days to see the condo, read the contract, decide if you keep the condo or not).

After the inspection you will contact them and tell your decision: TAKE THE CONDO or NOT TAKE THE CONDO!

In case you'll take it you'll have to send them a copy of the contract signed by you and they will release the money to me, if not you'll have to send them the contract unsigned and they will refund your money($1,000.00), the contract and the keys will be shipped back at my expenses! I will pay the shipping and you'll have to pay the money transfer fee for the refundable deposit.

Once again:
1. If you have the money $1,000.00 and if you want to rent it send me your full name, your shipping address and your phone#

2. I will open a CASE ID# at eBay Company for this transaction , and I will give them your info, and indicate you as my tenant.

3. After that, they will contact you with the payment details(you'll have to send them $1,000.00 via money transfer in the next 24 hours-you'll need cash)
4. After they receive your deposit, they will notify me immediately to start the shipping, and you will receive a tracking number in max 24 hours after they receive your deposit.

5.From the moment you receive the keys the 14 days inspection period will start.I will make the transaction only in this way so if you have the money and if you want to rent my condo send me your full name, your shipping address, your phone# and I'll start the procedure.

Thanks
#212282 by Anonymous_Wien Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am
Thanks to those of you who posted about this issue in the past. I am searching for an apartment in Wien and came across 2 deals that were out of this world. I've been basing my search on Bazar.at. I exchanged a few emails with the two "owners" Phillip Leonard and Mattias Amnon and checked for scams after a number of red flags went up. The largest of those flags being a request from each to transfer 1900€ though TNT (http://www.tnt.com/express/en_us/site/home.html) and 1000€ by either MoneyGram or Western Union to each respective "owner." This was to be done PRIOR to my receiving the keys or viewing the apartment. I should also note that both of the listings were removed from Bazar.at within 30 minutes of my initial message. All I can say is trust your gut! I didn't sent any money or continue correspondence but feel fairly confident when I say it was a scam. Hope this post helps someone else confirm their suspicions as well! To see copies of their e-mails see below.

I received these emails today, July 28, 2014

Phillip Leonard <[email protected]>
Attachments12:16 PM (5 hours ago)

Hi there

I apologize for any grammatical errors, but I speak English properly and can. I just got your e-mail regarding my apartment located in: Wipplingerstraße 33, 1010 Vienna, 3 rooms: 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1 kitchen and 1 living room.
I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Austria, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm the place for unlimited time to hire.
Before we continue, I would like to know a little something about you go as how many persons you intend to live in the apartment and for how long.
The apartment is exactly like in the pictures fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold / hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) included in the price of 640 € / month. The deposit (deposit) is € 1,260 and you get it back if you decide to leave the apartment (you must me at least 30 days in advance). As for me, you can be sure to never, I ask you, the apartment will leave. My daughter is building her life here, and I'm too old to move to Austria, so do not bother you, we will not.
Can you my furniture, or you can create your own if desired. If you want to use yours, you have access to a very large and well ventilated cellar, where my furniture can be stored.
But this does not affect you at all. I can arrange the apartment from the UK, (at my expense of course) to rent.

We look forward to hearing about from you soon.

Many greetings from the UK

Phillip Leonard

-----

Phillip Leonard
1:50 PM (3 hours ago)

Hello,

Thank you for your reply but like i told you the matter is that I'm in England already. Like I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for one month of rent will be 640€ + 1,260€ security deposit ( kaution ) = (1,900€), with no extra taxes to pay. I must have one month rent + security deposit from you. You pay this money just for this time and every month you pay just 640€ . The money, I want to recive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it. Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. I am not interested to make a lot of money from the rent as I am interested to find a tenant that will take goof care of the property. Because didn't had time to find a trustworthy agent, don't have any friends in the area to send the keys. I found an alternate solution in order to close the transaction safe for the both of us, a real estate company , it is an international real estate company called TNT Services, please visit ( http://www.tnt.com ). They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the Keys and Lease Agreement, Deposit request 640€ + 1,260€ (Security Deposit). With this procedure you will be able o check the apartment before I receive the payment. Like a TNT company.
Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter.

Regards
Phillip Leonard

-----

Phillip Leonard
2:34 PM (2 hours ago)

Dear Ms. **********,

I want to inform you that TNT will hold the money until you will confirm to them that you like the apt and keep the keys. If you don't like it, you only have to return the keys to them after they will refund the money to you and they will deliver the keys back to me on my expense.
I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works and how we can make it happen. You will only have to deposit first month of rent + security deposit - 1,900€ to TNT Service - so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract.
Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain to you step by step how this will work:
1 - To start this transaction i will need to know your full shipping information, full name, full shipping address and phone number to proceed with this deal .
2 - I go to the TNT Office and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.
3 - TNT will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.
4 - TNT will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody, in which you will be told that they have the Keys and that they checked it.
5 - At this point you will have to go to your Bank and make a money transfer deposit on the TNT Company in England/London assigned with this transaction for the amount we agreed.
6 - After you make the bank transfer deposit you will have to send the infos about the money deposit to TNT (scan paper from the bank transfer).
7 - TNT will verify the payment informations and if everything is in order they will deliver the Keys and the contract to you .
8 - After you receive the package, You will go and check the apt and in 2 days after you seen the apt you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apt or not, if everything is in order you will instruct TNT to release the funds to me.
If you don't like the apt they will send your money back and you will send them the keys and the contract to them to return the package back to me on my expense.I will pay TNT Service for the shipping and you will pay Bank Transfer for the Money Transfer fees.Now i must know for sure if you agree because here are a lot of peoples interested to have this apartment rented and i want to know for sure what i must tell them. If you agree what i suggested i will tell them that my apartment is already rented and i will keep it for you. If you agree then i must have all the shipping details so i will be able to make all the arrangements for the TNT delivery.

very Important: Your money will be in safe in TNT Company Bank Account .
Thank you for your interest and wait news from you.

Phillip Leonard

-----

[email protected]
12:33 PM (4 hours ago)

Hello,

The flat is still available for rent. It was redecorated last year is looking very nice, clean and fully furnished , also have Internet connection. Equipped kitchen and everything a house needs. I m interested in finding someone clean who can take care of this house more then getting money from renting it if you know what I mean.
Till last month the apartment was rented by some students and now they left and the apartment is available again for rent. The price I want is 500 € per month, bills included and I am interested in a long term agreement,max 10 years.
I live in United Kingdom and for this reason I can't meet you to see the apartment personally. If you want to visit the apartment please tell me and we find a good and safe solution.

Thank you

-----

Matthias Amnon
2:50 PM (2 hours ago)
Hi,

The rental is 500 €/month and all costs are included in this price, you'll don't have other extra costs.
I had a client who wanted to rent the apartment and I used a real estate to manage my transaction. We have start the transaction with a rental company and after he don't paid for the deposit. So I canceled the transaction and I paid for this 200 £. For this reason I decided that I accept a warranty from you,that mind 2 months advance rent payment ( 1000 € ).
Look how we can do this transaction in a safe way:

First we want to be sure that you have the money to rent the apartment and for this reason I ask you to send the money 1000 € through MoneyGram or Western Union on my name in United Kingdom, Durham. After, you must send me the scanned paper from MoneyGram or Western Union . You can cover all details from the scanned paper. I need only to see that the money are in UK and I will send you the keys and rental contract at your address. After you will receive the keys and the rental contract and you will see the apartment and If you decide to hold the apartment , you must give me all details from your transfer so I can pick up the money from the MoneyGram or Western Union office. If you don't like the apartment you'll cancel the transfer with MoneyGram or Western Union and you'll get all money back, after you will be able to send the keys and contract back to me to any shipping company you want.

In this way the transaction is safe for both of us.
Thank you,