Room for Rent and other rental scams
#61761 by Con Warner Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:02 am
Also using [email protected]
Date: 11 August 2011 11:11
Subject: RE: Reply to your ad
To: Con Warner

The following are the basic details you need to know about the flat which is located at Tiltman Place, Holloway, London N7 7EJ

Rent Per Month: £ 900.00.
Refundable security deposit : £ 400

Facilities includes:

Gas central heating
wi-fi internet
phone
Washing machine
Microwave
Dish washer
refrigerator.

The flat is fully furnished and equipped with all necessary house facilities also benefits a secured parking space but i can make it unfurnished if prefer. How many months do you intend to rent and do you have a reference in London?. I have another 2 flats available which belong to my cousin, you might receive similar message with different names but you don't need to be worried,just pick the flat you want and ignore the rest.

Regards
Mrs Collin

This person asks for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment either to him, your friend or a family member.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, this person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or Moneygram with the promise that they will send the keys through a courier company.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Thanks for the reply. My flat is available and I am willing to have you as long as you pay your rent at when due. It is unfortunate that my past experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat without any form of confirmation of their seriousness and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Ireland to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work.

Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who live close by, also some do not meet up with the appointments.

Henceforth, my solicitor and i have decided to carry out a simple test on seriousness and financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing. I would not ask you to send your bank statements or pay slip. At least 1 month rent would be required from you to transfer to someone close to you through Western Union Money Transfer agent using your name as the Sender and your friend's name as the Receiver.

Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will forward it to my solicitor to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your friend's custody, after verification, then we can proceed for the viewing.

Note that the transfer must be confirmed valid before the receiver picks up the money and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer when we meet.

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Collin
+447024013061

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#215380 by Gian Lorenzo Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:35 am
I have received this email from Laura Collin regarding the rent of a one bedroom apartment in conventry, found thourogh Craigslists, please can you confirm if it is not safe? (I believe it is not).

Thanks for the reply and the information provided. I and my lawyer have both agreed to make a reservation for you so you dont need to be worried as long as you have promise me that you will take proper good care of my flat just the way it is.
However, my lawyer asked me not to collect any money from you as long as you have not sign a contract neither have i taken you round my flat so he decided to make a confirmation of your financial ability before we proceed with the reservation.

Henceforth, my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing. I would not ask you to send your bank statement. At least 1 month rent of 341 GBP and security deposit which is £500 which is refundable after your 1st week stay in my flat,would be required from you to transfer through the Money Gram. You can make the transfer with your family member or friend's name as a sender and your name as a receiver to an address in Coventry and you can as well use my flat address. Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will send it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your custody, After it has been confirmed valid,then i can be able to proceed with the reservation and you stay can be 100 percent reserve and when you arrive to Coventry i can easily drive down to the Airport to come and pick you up and we drive down to the money gram post office and you pick up your funds and pay for the rent without any problem and also note that i 'll be responsible for the cost of the transfer when we meet for the viewing.

Kindly get back to me as soon as possible if my explanation is well understood.

Regards

RegardsThanks for the reply and the information provided. I and my lawyer have both agreed to make a reservation for you so you dont need to be worried as long as you have promise me that you will take proper good care of my flat just the way it is.
However, my lawyer asked me not to collect any money from you as long as you have not sign a contract neither have i taken you round my flat so he decided to make a confirmation of your financial ability before we proceed with the reservation.

Henceforth, my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing. I would not ask you to send your bank statement. At least 1 month rent of 341 GBP and security deposit which is £500 which is refundable after your 1st week stay in my flat,would be required from you to transfer through the Money Gram. You can make the transfer with your family member or friend's name as a sender and your name as a receiver to an address in Coventry and you can as well use my flat address. Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will send it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your custody, After it has been confirmed valid,then i can be able to proceed with the reservation and you stay can be 100 percent reserve and when you arrive to Coventry i can easily drive down to the Airport to come and pick you up and we drive down to the money gram post office and you pick up your funds and pay for the rent without any problem and also note that i 'll be responsible for the cost of the transfer when we meet for the viewing.

Kindly get back to me as soon as possible if my explanation is well understood.

Regards

Regards
#215384 by vonpaso xlura Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 am
It is a scam. The writing is African, not British, and no legitimate landlord or other business asks people to send money via MoneyGram. The scammer knows a corrupt MoneyGram employee who will give him the money which you send to yourself.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#254000 by Monika gasparova Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:00 am
Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. My flat is still available for rent and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due.
Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit. Rent per calender month is £324 { includes all bills : water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless
Internet} also Security deposit of £500 And it is protected by the Tenancy Deposit
Protection Scheme(http://www.depositprotection.com/){Refundable after four weeks
in the flat}.

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you.Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have references in swindon and do you have a landline number in which i can reach you? i will appreciate if you can get back to me with all this information.

Kindly reply for further information and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat

Regards
Mr/Mrs collin
#254001 by Monika gasparova Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:01 am
Thanks for the swift reply.You will be so lucky to have this property as it is in a nice location and also I would like you to know that the viewing is not a problem as we can proceed with the viewing if possible today or at your own convenience but I would like you to know that I have been disappointed in the past when it comes to viewing by some other interested candidate when it comes to viewing as they have no penny with them still they insist to go for a viewing.

For this single reason I and my lawyer have made up our mind that before proceeding with the viewing you will need to make a deposit which you are suppose to pay a month rent and a security deposit but for you to be rest assured that your funds have no problem you will need to transfer just security deposit to secure the flat or make a reservation and when coming you will need to bring rent as it is very important.

Kindly get back to me as soon as possible if my explanation is well understood and I will also like you to know that your funds is 100% save and if you can meet up with the requirement we can proceed with the viewing today and even hand over the key to my flat to you.

Regards!

Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 13:49:56 +0100
To: [email protected]
Subject:

Hi, me and my partner looking for move in beginning of next month, we renting house out of agency Amanda Jones as she sold the property to a new landlord so we have to move out when the contract finished witch is 17th next months so we would like move out as soon as possible my name is Monika gasparova 26yo and my partner graham hanks 30 yo, we both have full time job I riding race horses and he's self employed roofer we have no pets and always keep place tidy, if is possible to arrange viewing anytime soon , I haven't got land line but I'm always on my mobile phone witch is 07585116589 or email. Please contact me kind regards Monika

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad
#254002 by Monika gasparova Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:02 am
However my lawyer and i will be present at the flat in order to hand over the keys and finalize all necessities. You are require to come along with a passport photograph or any form of I.D during the viewing and handling over of the keys to the flat.

Here are my lawyer's bank account details:

Bank Name - Coop Bank
Account No- 02366674
sort code - -08 92 49 (Details Noted - MB)
Account Name - Mrs Lisa Hall

As soon as you get the transfer done now , email to me the payslip or screenshot for
verification

Regards
#254003 by Monika gasparova Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:04 am
I just received a call from my lawyer again , he said that he has already confirm the transfer valid but he didn't no that you wanted to rent my flat for longer period, he said the transfer you made is too small to make a confirmation of your financial ability to rent my flat for the length of your stay in my flat. Furthermore, he said that there're so many people looking for good flat for this period and ready to pay the rent upfront but i made him understand that i am not after the rent but someone that can take good care of my flat in a perfect way. At this stage, he has already agree to rent out my flat for you but you'll need to make another transfer of 2 months rent of 650 pounds in other to confirm it with the previous deposit you made. So that the total transfer can be 2 months rent and the security deposit of 500 pounds.
I would appreciate if you can get the transfer done now so that i can
forward the receipt to my lawyer to confirm it with the previous transfer you made.

Kindly let me know if you understand my message.

Regards