Room for Rent and other rental scams
#218623 by Michelle Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:23 am
adam bernhardt <[email protected]>

Hi

Thank you for the response to my listing, I'm the owner of the apartment you are making inquiry of. Actually my parents resided in the apartment before i lost both parents in a ghastly motor accident so i had to relocate to Africa to with my fathers half brother running a charity home in Africa.(W.AFRICA) and presently my apartment is still available which i inherited from my late parents for rent.You where actually supposed to be sharing apartment with me but since i had to relocate i need someone who can look after the apartment for now.I mean long term and short term available.It includes utilities like hydro, washer and security, I have my furniture in the apartment. if you which to move in with your furnished items there is a storage area where you can move my furniture, no problem. Please i want you to note that i am a kind and honest young man and also from the photos you should know that my parents must have spent a fortune on the property that i want to give you for rent, i will want you to take absolute care of my apartment and I want you to treat it as your own, money is not the most important thing but i want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for check up.RENT INCLUDES CABLE, HEAT/AIR, WATER,GAS AND INTERNET!!!

Address:22 Pakenham St E
Auckland, 1010, New Zealand

Rent:135pw
Bond:700

PROPERTY FEATURES

Heating features: Central, Electric Source
Smoking: Allowed
Lease terms: Short & Long term

FURNISHED
SPACIOUS AND LIGHT
KITCHEN BREAKFAST ROOM
SECURE AREA
GOOD TRANSPORT LINKS
Landing 22'1" x 5'10" ( 6.73m x 1.78m )
Reception room 17'0" x 16'0" ( 5.18m x 4.88m )
Kitchen 13'0" x 11'0" ( 3.96m x 3.35m )
Bedroom 1 12'10" x 10'5" ( 3.91m x 3.18m )
Bathroom 6'10" x 5'10" ( 2.08m x 1.78m )

========= RENT APPLICATION FORM ============

PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL

Also,Pls answer these questions below:
1)Your Full Name______________________________________
2)Present Address(where you reside now) & Phone
Number________________________ ______
3)How old are you _____________________________
4)Are you married ______________________________ _____
5)How many people will be living in the Home___________________________
6)Do you have a pet _________________________________________
7)Do you have a car __________________________________________
8)Occupation _________________________________________________
9)How long are you willing to stay ______________________________
option)_________________________________________

12) Pictures of all the Occupant that will stay in my
Home__________________________

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt in your name and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how i will get the documents and the keys to you.please I am giving you all this based on trust and again i want you to stick to your words,i am putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let me down on this property of mine and God bless you more as you do this.

Regards

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#219256 by Michelle Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:27 am
Hello cocosnoot

If the only details that you have divulged are very basic, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers, there is nothing to worry about,. This Scammer is trying his scheme with so many people you will soon become forgotten about unless you continue to write to him.