Room for Rent and other rental scams
#210863 by TML4L Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:54 pm
Hey guys,
I know this is over a year since the last post, but I found a word for word email reply from a "Chris McMillen: Doctor of Neuro-Oncology", this time the post was in Calgary, Canada and was offering the service through a group called "Estate-Europe". It wasn't until I began looking into the good doc himself that I stumbled over this forum. I must thank you for that.

[email protected]
Advertisement

#212027 by Unclehair Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:38 am
Hi!!!
I am in Texas (USA) and I swear this guy is upping his game! I came across a Craigslist ad that was just too good to be true so I google image searched the picture of the house and voila! I found the real listing that had way more than the whopping 2 pictures he clearly lifted from this listing. Needless to say, the real listing was for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom brick house for $1,400.00 USD a month and the craigslist one was for $800.00 USD a month. Naturally I had to know what they would say when I inquired about this house, and big fat guess what I got? *giggling* I got a very poorly written version of this same thing! Now I found THIS site while looking for a place and one looked like a scam so I googled that, too with *SCAM* in the search criteria and found this post and when I got this email all I could think of was this post! The *utilities included* part was the dead giveaway because no one in their right mind in Texas would ever include the electric bill in the rent. We use a TON of air conditioning! My electric bill hovers in the 3-500 dollar range, depending on which Summer we are in LOL So naturally I came back here and compared my gracious want to be landlord's reply with these and yup. I am betting it is the same guy LOL I removed his name and the street name with zip code because the true homeowner shouldn't be put on blast, and I dunno if I can leave mister Scammitty Scam Scammerson's *real* name in there or not. So, without further adieu, allow me to paste the reply!
*Drum roll please* Here is the letter I received:

Thanks for your email, I personally own the house, I want my property to be well taken good care of, and there are some rules and regulation in which I do give out to tenant willing to rent my house so please don't disrespect my order But if you are still capable of renting my house the rules and regulation goes this way,You must keep my house clean including the surrounding, you must know the way in which you use the stove so as to avoid fire outbreak,you must not disturb the neighbor.

Before now its been an issue putting out our home for rent due to the bond we have developed with the house,Listening to advises from friends and since there are no family member around to take care of the house we decided to do this.Firstly i will like to share with you about my little family, I am a site project manager and my wife has a private practice as an attorney, i am a native of (Spring, TX). Actually I did reside in the house with my family and presently we have moved out due to my official job transfer in (West Africa) , as a site project manager with Hattiesburg Construction Company. I wanted to sell the house but my wife suggest i rent it out to whoever that is ready to occupy it, Right now am no longer selling it but I need to make sure you will take very good care of the house before renting it to you.

Our house is intact with all amenities intact and working in perfect conditions, I would like to emphasize that you will find our home enjoyable and you will definitely feel at home,Also the neighborhood is quite at peace and welcoming.We have a cordial relationship with the neighborhood as it is a neighborhood where everyone keep to themselves go about their business without interference from anybody and we expect that as you move in.Please keep to yourselves as this Our (home) that will become yours will provide all the warmth and joy that you require.

Attn : The rent are including the Utilities are intact such as:
Dishwasher
Dryer
Electric Stove (real stove is gas and oven is electric)
Fridge
Washer
Air Condition
Sewage
Trash

All included in the monthly rent,as i am in a governmental programmer that sponsors my utilities on monthly basis etc. Please note that, wear a kind and honest family,that spent a lot on property that is available for rent, so in one accord,we are soliciting for your absolute maintenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own.We want you to keep it tidy all the time so that we shall be glad to see it whenever we are around on a visit.

House Address: {23927 Omittedfortrueownersecurity Pt, Spring, TX zippittyzipzip}

PROPERTY DESCRIPTION...........

Number of Bedrooms:3
Number of baths:2
1,698 sqft
Pets are welcome!!! ***NO THEY ARE NOT!!!***
Rent: $800
Refundable security Deposit: $800
Total move in: $1,600

we will appreciate if you could take your time to fill out the Rent/Lease application form below as we would like to keep proper documentation.

****RENT APPLICATION DETAILS****
Please if you are ready now to occupy the house kindly provide the information below for record purpose:
PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF

Full Name ......................................

Home Phone .................. Cell Phone .................

Date of Birth ...........................

Current Address ........................................

City ....................... State ....................... Zip........

Are you married ...........................

How many people will be living in the house? .......................

Do you have a pet? ..............

Do you have a car? ..............

Occupation? ....................................

When can you pay for your deposit to secure or move in? .....................

How soon do you want to receive the keys? ...............................

Move In Date .............................

Your Family Pictures ......................... ***Um....WHAT?????***

You will only be able to drive by the house for now but you will not have access into the house until we have sent the keys and documents of the house to you.

Please note that your rent starts counting from move in date so you need not to worry about making the deposit payment now and not moving in immediately because all you're doing is securing the house in your favor in order not to loose it to other interested applicants.

Call ***-***-**********

Thanks and God bless you.
Scammitty Scam Scammerson
#212029 by AlanJones Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:40 am
Please post the name, email address and telephone number that the scammer is using as these are often searched for by other victims.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#212032 by Unclehair Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:47 am
Just a little more on this, because that one was so incredibly long, I IMMEDIATELY emailed the Realtor in the real listing to inform them of what was happening. I will look for a reply in the morning and hopefully send the email I received from mister Scammitty Scam Scammer so they can see what is being sent to potential renters of the house they are trying to sell, and possibly up the security since he did, in fact, include the correct address. Once I hear from them I will report the craigslist ad for scammer activity. I want to leave it until I hear from the Realtor so they can see the listing and know I am not trying to scam them somehow. Plus, some weird part of me is reveling in having found this scammer within 24 hours of his listing this ad on craigslist LOL
#212037 by Unclehair Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:55 am
Sorry, didn't see the request for the info until after my last comment. Here is the number he wants me to call:
011-234-9091260172
The name he is using:
Terry M Cliff
And the email he is using for this:
[email protected]

I pretty much immediately saw the email as shady since it was just the same 3 letters over and over but that only led me to want to catch a scammer even more. I have no intentions whatsoever of giving any personal info to this guy, when I messaged to inquire about the house I signed as H.B. so as not to even clue him into my name or gender. I have every intention of dragging as much out of him as I can, I gotta know how he plans on my just handing over all that money what with him being all the way in Africa! LOL And geez, who will have the keys??? I want this house so bad i may just have him take monthly auto drafts from my bank account so no one else gets this house before me! (mind you, all of that is my sarcastic way of conveying how much fun i can have with this guy cuz I aint that stupid LOL)
Is there any more info you would like on him that I may be able to post now before I start asking him questions like a naive idiot? :D
#323265 by Miabby Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:47 pm
I have encountered a very similar character. Me and a roommate were approved for a lease. We were getting impatient with the approval process and continued searching for other options. When suddenly, BAM! This too good to be true house is suddenly for rent in Berkley Michigan.

This was a craiglist ad find btw.
The house address is 1862 11 mile rd, in Berkley Michigan.

We were emailed an almost identical "application" from a man who was lookong for God fearing tentants. As his family has put a lot of money into fixing up the place.

He listed it at 700 a month for a 2bdrm 1bath and it has a two car garage WITH storage!...right.
So we get his phone number which has an Illinois area code. (312)646-0095

While asking for an image of the deed to this property he proceeds to send mls pictures of the property but no deed..hmmm.
He (aka "George") said he is a Site manager for the Hattiesburg Construction Company.

For some strange reason he didn't seem to want to provide any more information until the application is completed. Perhaps that is because he is trying to pull off a real estate scam!

I think we will be perfectly fine where we are moving to. Berkley would be great, but I don't believe that we would have any chance of getting into that property!

If it sounds too good to be true..it usually is.
#323269 by Mike Wilson Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:33 am
The telephone number (312)646-0095 is a Google Voice VoIP number that can be used to make and receive calls from any location in the world that has high speed internet access. Please post the email address the scammer is using.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#366250 by InnocentButNotDumb Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:23 pm
The SCAM continues!
This time it's for another rental property found on Craigslist.
The address listed is 2816 Hardy Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland 20902.
The names, yes names, this scammer is using are Robert Silva, Andrew Kittridge and Rev Robert Silva.
Email used: [email protected]
Contact#: (484) 238-0567
The email communication verbiage is basically the same.
I even received pictures indicating him and his family!
Hopefully any details I provided about myself, before I realized this was a scam, won't come back and bite me in the butt.
When I found this listing I was hoping it was real, but again, IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT'S A LIE!
I'm glad that I know how to do my research before losing my hard-earned money to a criminal like this one.
To all the Scam Busters out there, past and present, THANK YOU!!
We maybe cannot get all scammers, but hopefully we can get a lot of them and save a lot of heartache for a lot of good honest people.
#366264 by Bryon Williams Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:52 pm
Hello, to all.

Please start a new thread with scammers.

Copy and paste the emails sent to you. Remove your personal information prior to submitting.

Include email addresses and phone numbers used.

If you also get a fake invoice post it also.

First check to see if the email address is already reported here. If so, add to that thread.

Locking this thread (BW)

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/