Room for Rent and other rental scams
#143734 by Jillian Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:50 pm
Welcome jessyrajk! We're glad to hear that you did some searching and found our info before losing money. Good for you. Thanks for taking the time to post the info you received. Let us know if you have any questions. :D

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
Advertisement

#166220 by carlyle_styer Sun May 19, 2013 11:36 am
Looks like I have joined the masses of those scammed
Thank you for the interest in my house. The house is still available for rent; the house was completely renovated easy access to Public Transportation. The Bedrooms are equipped with everything you need for your stay.

Monthly Rent: $1000
Security Deposit Is $800
Total move in cost:$1800
House address:508 Bailey Rd, Sarasota, FL 34237
Utilities are included in the rent.
Minimum rental: 1 month
Maximum rental: 6 years or more.

I will love to have showed you round the house and the inside, but am sorry i am presently out on a missionary trip.I have been posted to the West Africa by the United State Christian Organization for (Worldwide Missionary Outreach). We are now in West Africa for the Missionary work and so all you can do is drive by the home anytime. i wanted to sell it before and later changed my mind to rent it out for investment purposes since i might still come back some time 5 years or more to come. So we have ordered them to stop all advertisement about the home for sale and that will be effective asap. So i wouldn't want that to bother you at all I could not find an honest agent to hand over the place before leaving so i and my wife decided to post the property online. Here is our rental application form that you will have to fill if you are still interested in this house.

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW.

RENT APPLICATION FORM.
Name (First name/ Middle name/Surname ) : __________?
Phone # : __________?
E-mail : __________?
Best time to call : __________?
How many proposed occupants : __________?
List all in addition to yourself including approx age : __________?
Present Address : __________?
City/State : __________?
Will you have pets : __________?
Please describe Breed, size : __________?
Personality of pet : __________?
Preferred move in date : __________?
Intended length of lease: __________?
Earliest possible date of deposit payment: __________?
Length of previous tenancy : __________?
Present occupation : __________?
Are you a section 8 applicant : __________?
Do you run a business from home : __________?
If so what kind of business : __________?
Do you work late night : __________?
Do you smoke : __________?
Do you drink : __________?

I CERTIFY that answers given herein are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I authorize investigation of all statements contained in this application for tenant screening as may be necessary in arriving at a tenant decision. I understand that the landlord may terminate any rental agreement entered into for any misrepresentation made above.Here is my contact my cell phone number you can reach me on anytime so that i can attend to you better +2347011815291 or 0112347011815291

Best Regards and Remain Blessed

Ryan Rindone
The only thing that looks different from everyone else's is the phone number.
#166313 by skamrath Mon May 20, 2013 11:36 am
Thank you for posting this. My husband and I were looking to rent a home in Wausau, WI and found this exact scam:

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Great House <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for the interest in my house. The house is still available for rent; the house was completely renovated easy access to Public Transportation. The Bedrooms are equipped with everything you need for your stay.

Monthly Rent: $800
Security Deposit Is $700
Total move in cost:$1500
House address:930 Gardner Park Rd, Kronenwetter, WI 54455

I will love to have showed you round the house and the inside, but am sorry i am presently out on a missionary trip.I have been posted to the West Africa by the United State Christian Organization for (Worldwide Missionary Outreach). We are now in West Africa for the Missionary work and so all you can do is drive by the home anytime. i wanted to sell it before and later changed my mind to rent it out for investment purposes since i might still come back some time 5 years or more to come. So we have ordered them to stop all advertisement about the home for sale and that will be effective asap. So i wouldn't want that to bother you at all I could not find an honest agent to hand over the place before leaving so i and my wife decided to post the property online. Here is our rental application form that you will have to fill if you are still interested in this house.

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW.

RENT APPLICATION FORM.

I CERTIFY that answers given herein are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I authorize investigation of all statements contained in this application for tenant screening as may be necessary in arriving at a tenant decision. I understand that the landlord may terminate any rental agreement entered into for any misrepresentation made above.Here is my contact my cell phone number you can reach me on anytime so that i can attend to you better +2347011815291 or 0112347011815291

Randolph N Hahn
#166323 by calbers28 Mon May 20, 2013 2:58 pm
Looks like this guy is all over the map!!

------------------

Monthly Rent: $800
Security Deposit Is $600
Total move in cost:$1400
House address: 19 Downs Ave Greenland NH 03840

RENT APPLICATION FORM.

I CERTIFY that answers given herein are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I authorize investigation of all statements contained in this application for tenant screening as may be necessary in arriving at a tenant decision. I understand that the landlord may terminate any rental agreement entered into for any misrepresentation made above.Here is my contact my cell phone number you can reach me on anytime so that i can attend to you better +2347086073088 or 0112347086073088

I also looked up the missionary's web site and this is the first thing I saw, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is :)
#209078 by Sep Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:05 am
I encountered the exact same email from an ad on Craigslist and I was half way through responding that my instincts kicked in and I HAD to do some research. And when I found this forum I was very happy that I DIDN'T fall for the scam. I feel responsible to help and inform others about these scammers.
PLEASE TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS AND DO SOME RESEARCH.
THE HOUSE WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE BUT I KEPT TELLING MY SELF THAT ITS NOT A SCAM.

THE EMAIL READS:

Greetings!

Thanks for your email.. The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in Malaysia about 3 years.. Let me start by introducing myself.I must confess that I am very new in this landlord business..However, My name is Thomas Wayne. I and my wife own the house, Due to her job as a Medical Doctor, she works for American Red Cross Lutheran Hospital Donor Center, and now she have been transfer to (West Africa) to work in a branch in West Africa. We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when We knew how long we are going to stay in Malaysia that We decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sale out the house. which we tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. The utilities are included in the rent, because of this reason and more we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.

Information about the house below:
the rent is: $950 Security Deposit: $750
4 Bedroom 3Bathroom
Address: **** Virginia
Sq. footage: 1,153 sqft
Pet are also Welcome.

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW:

RENT APPLICATION FORM.
Phone numbers (home,cell and office line ) # :__________?
E-mail :__________?
Best time to call :__________?
Marital Status:__________?
How many proposed occupants :__________?
List all in addition to yourself including approx age :__________?
Present Address :__________?
City/State :__________?
Will you have pets :__________?
Please describe Breed, size :__________?
Personality of pet :__________?
Preferred move in date :__________?
Intended length of lease:__________?
Do you agree to pay the payment before you move in:__________?
Earliest possible date of deposit payment:__________?
Length of previous tenancy :__________?
Present occupation :__________?
Are you a section 8 applicant
Do you work late night :__________?
Do you smoke :__________?
Do you drink :__________?

TAKE NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE BY AND SEE MY PLACE FROM THE OUTSIDE, BUT IF DRIVE BY THE HOME YOU MAY SEE A SIGN THERE, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IT BELONGS TO OUR PREVIOUS AGENT SO YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AND DON'T HAVE TO CALL THEM BECAUSE THEY TO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE HOME ANYMORE! IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RENTING GET THE APPLICATION FORM FILLED OUT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT ME +2347011815291

Remain Blessed.
Thomas Wayne
#239023 by kmy Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:38 am
I am so bummed this is a scam because we really are looking for a decent house to rent ;( All they want is for you to send the security deposit and first month rent totaling $2000 and then they will send you the keys. They are conveniently out of the state and are not able to show you inside but it comes fully furnished and utilities are included......too good to be true!!! If you look up the "Noble OK by the United State Christian Organization for (Worldwide Missionary Outreach)" that they mention in the email, it comes up on Google as SCAMMERS BEWARE. I did find that they do intact own the house on http://apps.douglas.co.us/apps/assessor ... d=R0464489
but you can see here
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4243- ... 8026_zpid/
that every two three or four months they list the house for sale, drop the price, and then remove it...probably trying to lure people to send money.
-------------
Hello,

Thank you for the interest in my house. The house is still available for rent, the house was completely renovated easy access to Public Transportation. The Bedrooms are equipped with everything you need for your stay.

Monthly Rent: $1,200
Security Deposit Is $800
Total move in cost:$2,000

Here is the address: 4243 Opportunity Dr, Castle Rock, CO 80109

4 beds 4.25 baths 5,690 sqft

Once again we really appreciate your interest on our home, I will love to have showed you round the house and the interior part, but am sorry i am presently out on a missionary trip. I have been posted to Noble OK by the United State Christian Organization for (Worldwide Missionary Outreach). And to God be the glory We are now in Oklahoma for the Missionary work and so all you can do is to drive by the home anytime. Our first plan was to sell the property but My family and i later had a change of plan, so we decided to rent it out for investment purposes since i might still come back some time 5 years or more to come. So we have ordered them to stop all advertisement about the home for sale and that will be effective asap. So i wouldn't want that to bother you at all I could not find an honest Realtor to hand over the property before leaving so i and my wife decided to post the property online. Here is our rental application form that you will have to fill if you are still interested in this house.

RENTAL APPLICATION FORM

FIRST NAME: __________________
MIDDLE NAME: __________________
LAST NAME: __________________
PROFESSION: ________________
PHONE______________________
AGE_____
YOU HAVE A PET?__________________________ _ _
DO YOU HAVE A CAR?__________________________ _ _
OCCUPATION____________________ ________
PRESENT ADDRESS: ___________________________
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?______________________ _____________________________
PREVIOUS ADDRESS: ___________________________
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? ____________
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________
HOW SOON IS YOUR MOVE IN COST READY? ___________________________

I CERTIFY that answers given herein are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.Await your reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the key to you,please we are giving you all this base on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words,you know that we do not see yet and only putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do this.

Rev. Riccardo J Terse
#239024 by Bryon Williams Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:46 am
The scammer has stolen photo's. The real owners of the property is not involved in the scam. Scammer will also assume the identity of real people.

Your scammer is most likely in West Africa or Malaysia.

Please make sure you can go inside the property to view it and meet the landlord face to face.

Any mention of Western Union, Moneygram, Reload Cards or Bank transfer consider it a scam.

What email address did the scammer use? Posting this will also help others avoid his scam attempts.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#316950 by Fountain Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:57 pm
Names used by this scammer include : Donald N. Birkl and Stephanie A. Birkl; email address, [email protected] Phone #(814) 208-7470 of Altoona, PA.

barr property
Email #1

to me
Hello,

Thanks for your interest and inquiries about my house. Yes the house is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house now that we are not around. I have been posted to pennsylvania by the United State Christian Organization for Worldwide Missionary Outreach. We are now in pennsylvania for the Missionary work and so all you can do is drive by the home anytime.

We will be away for 3 to 4 years or more that is why I have made up my mind to put up my house for rent to whomever that will take good care of it. However, my initial plan was to sell the house, but it was not successful because the Realtor raised the price which made it difficult for me to sell before leaving the States so never mind if you see the for sale sign in front of the house, It has already been taken off the market as for sale so there is no need to contact any Realtor.

FEATURES: Laundry, Electric Range, Electric Heat, Master Bedroom, Playground, Car Park.
AMENITIES: Air Conditioning, Patio/Party Deck, Cable TV, Ceiling Fans, 24 hours Internet service, Dishwasher, Fireplace, Garbage Disposal, Microwave, security alarm, Pets Friendly, Refrigerator, Washer / Dryer.

Beautiful 3 bed. Rental Price: $650 per month and security Deposit is $650 (Security Deposit is Refundable) Utilities included in monthly rent
Pets are Welcome.
Below is the address to the house: 908 E Stotlar St, Herrin, IL 62948

Get back to me asap because I need a tenant urgently then I will like you to fill out the application form, Please feel free to ask any questions you do not understand and I will be looking forward to receive your email as soon as possible. CALL / TEXT ON : 8142087470
Please respond ASAP.
Thank you and remain blessed

barr property
Email #2

to me
Thank you for your interest in the house,You should count yourself lucky to meet with this offer. Please note there's compulsory security deposit to move in and i need someone that is ready to take good care of my house, the rent includes utilities(Water and sewer including electricity, cable tv) and all amenities inside(Refrigerator, laundry,washer and dryer, ready for internet connection)..You can get back to me if you are truly interested.Just want to let you know that i will be here for 3years and i have an intention of buying another home when i return but that should be in the nearest future. I intended selling the house but had to rethink that is the reason i looking for a good tenant my self so i will not regret renting it. There is nobody there to walk you through the property that is reason i sent you the physical address in my first email so you will go see the house from the outside and let me know if you truly love it so we will discuss further. It is in a nice and secured neighborhood.

Rent $650
Security Deposit: $650
MONTH TO MONTH OR YEARLY IS ACCEPTABLE.
Below are the specifications: How ready are you to secure the house now? you know some others are interested but if you are ready to secure it then the screening will count. The house is available for you to move in, so you need fill out this application for quick rental arrangement. As soon as i accept you as my tenant then we will discuss on the rent.
Kindly confirm your interest by filling the form below:
TENANT RENT APPLICATION
FIRST NAME:__________________
MIDDLE NAME:__________________
LAST NAME:__________________
PROFESSION:________________
PHONE (____)__________ (CELL)
PHONE (____)__________ (WORK)
PHONE (____)__________ (HOME)
MARITAL STATUS:_________
KIDS_____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY________
PRESENT ADDRESS:___________________________
CITY:_______________
STATE:______________
ZIPCODE:____________
HOW LONG?___________IF RENTING
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?______________________________
STATE:_______________
ZIPCODE:_____________
HOW LONG?____________ IF RENTING,HOUSE.
WHY DID YOU LEAVE?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?______________
PERSONAL REFERENCES
(LIST 3 PERSONS, OTHER THAN YOUR RELATIVES, THAT WE CAN CONTACT TO
VERIFY YOUR CHARACTER.)
FIRST PERSON
FIRST NAME:_______________
MIDDLE NAME:______________
LAST NAME:________________
RELATIONSHIP______________
PHONE (___)________________
SECOND PERSON
THIRD PERSON
EMERGENCY
(IN AN EMERGENCY, LIST 2 PERSONS THAT CAN BE CONTACTED STARTING WITH
NEAREST RELATIVES) Looking forward to hear from you. Your full information will be used to process all documents that will be coming together with the keys leading to the house and this will come to you through DHL / FEDEX courier service.

Get back to me asap
Thanks

Email #3
Thanks so much for your completed information given to us , My wife and I have thought about you and we are so much excited to accepted you as our new home tenant because you really sounds like kind of person that we are looking to rent our home and I want you to notice that all your information have been approve into our rental file and please do not fail to take very good care of the house and treat it like it was yours because you sounds like a responsible person and we are going to treat you as part of our family in our home.

Rent:$650
Refundable security Deposit: $650
Total move in: $1,300

Below are the contents of the document that will be shipped to you Via FedEx mailing service to the address you gave to me in your Application Form.

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2) Paper/Permanent house form(Containing your reference details)
3) The house documentary file.
4) Letter of Access
5) Payment Receipt.
6) Full address and driving direction/description of the house.

I will also need you to confirm your delivery details and also to answer the below questions so as to certify my worries about you taking charge of my house:

Delivery Name:
Delivery Address:
Phone #:

How much can you afford right now so that i can talk to my wife to know what to do because we ready to mail the keys and documentation to you as soon as we confirm your payment.

I will await reading an email from you soonest for further discussion and arrangements.

Email #4

barr property

Thanks for getting back to me, I can see your willingness in renting our house. You sound skeptic from your email once , and that's very wrong, if you are thinking that I just wanted to take your money for nothing. When I am known how people worked and earn their money, I will never think of taking some advantages over you and your money, please take that out of your mind, that is really awful thing on the earth that I will never think about doing.
Please understand me better, I was not trying to lure you into this, everything about me and my house are 100% real ok, I will like you to know one thing I am a man of God and I such much believe in his words and I wouldn't do such a thing when I have blood running through my vein. Am sorry i don't have accept pay pal i will like you send to the money through bank account which is even safe for transferring money.

Email #5
barr property

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil...." Proverbs 3: 5-7

Email #6

barr property

Please transfer the money through my wife account.

Bank Name: 1st summit bank.....

Bank account name: Stephanie A Birkl......

Bank account no: 1300034434.....

Bank routing number: 031316815....

Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon.
God Bless You
Donald N Birkl

Hope this helps.