Room for Rent and other rental scams
#42881 by kettyfish Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:35 am
I recently received a reply to my ads from Gumtree as follow:

"Hi,
How are you doing?Thanks for your interest and I'll like to tell you more about the property.

It is a double room.It is located in Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 0PS

Amenities include. Central Heating,Desk,Good wireless internet Connection,Gas hob,Washing machine,Dishwasher,Microwave Oven,Television with Built-in DVD Player,Garden and Parking space.

The monthly rent is £500 including utilities bills and inc. council tax.A security refundable deposit of £450.However,The deposit will be refund back to you two days before your tenancy expires.

The property is available for both short and long term contract.

I lost my phone at a friend party some few days ago so i won't be able to call or receive calls for now but i would let you know once i get another one soon and I believe,we can have a better conversation on mail to mail which i believe it will be more understandable for both of us to get each other right.

I am new to this and you will be my first tenant if things work out between us.I am renting this out because of my new Job in Edinburgh However i am a contractor, currently supervising the building construction of an hotel in Newcastle,I am looking for someone that will help me take good care of the place like is own.someone that will make the place clean and tidy.Let me know if you are still interested so that we can proceed.

Find the attach picture of the property and let me know what you think.

Hope to hear from you soon
Whitney
"

She also sent me a few pictures of the flat and compare with other flats in this area I realise it is too good to be true. I noticed that there are some other people receive the same context like me. Just thought should reveal this email address as scammer.

Meanwhile, as "she" is still contacting me as her potential fish, is there anything that I can do to catch her or report her to police?

:bondage:
Advertisement

#42918 by Bubbles Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:33 am
Welcome to ScamWarners kettyfish and thank you for posting this information about this attempt to scam you. Hopefully it will help others who might get contacted by this person.

Unfortunately the police are not able to do anything in most cases. Typically the police can only investigate an actual crime that has a victim. You fortunately found out that this was a scam and you didn't fall for it.

If you had fallen for the scam and sent money, the police would have a difficult time finding the scammer because they collect the funds they steal by an untraceable means like Western Union or some other transfer service. They also do not use their real name, address or location.

You have done one of the best things to do and that is exposing their activity here on ScamWarners where others can see how they operate. Thank you for finding us and posting this information!

Since she is still contacting you, the best thing for you to do is tell "her" that you have found a place and plock their email address from your in box. They will go away.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#42935 by kettyfish Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:02 am
Thank you Bubbles for your advice. What a shame there is nothing much I can do for it. :(

Hope this will help some other people but I really like to kick their ASS. :twisted:
#42936 by kettyfish Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:04 am
One quick question some scammers wil ask for your bank information such as card number and names. But without your password what can they do about it? :oh-joy: :?:
#194377 by AllegroDigital Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:25 pm
Thanks for posting this. I just had someone try to scam me using most of the same info. The person changed their name to Thomas (even though they originally contacted me as Paige) and it's a different city:

Hi,
How are you doing?Thanks for your interest and I'll like to tell you more about the property.

It is a single room in a flatshare.It is located in Minerva Way, Glasgow G3 8AU. Sorry, i won't be able to release the exact number of the apartment now not until we reach an agreement about the apartment, this is due to some personal reason and for the safety of the apartment, i'm very sorry about these but i hope you understand my reasons.

Amenities include. Central Heating,Desk,Good wireless internet Connection,Gas hob,Washing machine,Dishwasher,Microwave Oven,Television with Built-in DVD Player,Garden and Parking space.

The monthly rent is £400 including utilities bills and inc. council tax.A security refundable deposit of £380.However,The deposit will be refund back to you two days before your tenancy expires.

The property is available for both short and long term contract.

I am renting out the property because of my new Job in London and i am looking for someone that will help me take good care of the place like is own,someone that will make the place clean and tidy.Let me know if you are still interested so that we can proceed.

Find the attach picture of the property and let me know what you think.

Hope to hear from you soon
Thomas