Room for Rent and other rental scams
#44226 by skezza88 Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 am
I have recently been reeled in by a Landlord who claimed to be living in Denmark. The use of a "money gram" from a post office was the method of extracting money in this case. They only need the reference number in order to be able to drain the money. I called a friend who informed me as he had also come across this scam when he was looking for a place, also from a person who claimed to be currently residing in Denmark. This is more than likely the same person using several different e-mails & alias'. I've seen the exact same frame from a guy calling himself "Fillip". The person is either extremely lazy or knows very little English as the framed e-mails were written word for word apart from the change of a few minor details. The reason in this particular was that She/He (Charly in this case) was in Denmark and needed the place "looking after". In Fillips case it was due to the death of an Aunt (low life scum). The general deal offered to both me & my friend (despite living in 2 very different areas, Leicester and Gloucester) was a monthly rental of £480 all bills inc... The person requested 2 months upfront and a months deposit. He then said he needed a money gram to prove we were financially adaquate. A moneygram???? Don't think so mate, immediately I did the leg work, made a couple of phonecalls and found out he was a scammer. I then e-mailed this guy saying "We have the moneygram now, Emma managed to go in her lunchbreak to the post office and meet me with the receipt. £1440 right?? I'll take pictures of the whole receipt. Are you going to be able to meet us this coming Sunday?
Kind Regards,
Martin". Ofcourse this man/woman must have frothed at the mouth, thinking he had found another innocent victim and was about to cash in £1440 of someones hard-earned... Anyway I saved this picture as Moneygram £1440 and attached it to an e-mail with the writing "Please find attached a close up picture of the moneygram.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 9,r:12,s:0

Civilised society 1-0 Lowlife leeching scum

There were 2 e-mails sent which summarise how these scammers reel in their victims. Firstly:

"Hello,
I will attach some pictures of the flat,floor plan and also a model of the rental contract! The flat is located on 41, Brunswick Road, GL1 1JS but I can`t give you the exact address because there`s no one living out there and I`m afraid of thieves and I do apologize for this but I hope you understand me because I`m in Denmark right now! The property benefits from access to beautifully maintained communal gardens and comprises reception room, kitchen with washing machine/tumble dryer, master bedroom with fitted wardrobes and en suite bathroom, second bedroom with fitted wardrobe and bathroom.Parking place is included too!
In the kitchen there is a dishwasher and also a Big fridge freezer! Regarding the council tax I can tell you that it is included in the price of £480 per month and also Sky TV,internet broadband,gas and electricity are also included in this price! I am interested in a minimum six month agreement and I request two months rent in advance plus the equivalent of one month as a refundable deposit which you will get back at the end of the contract.
Regarding the plumbings and all that kind of stuff I can tell you that the flat was recently renovated and all electrical part and plumbings are new so that won`t be necessary any repairs anyway I have a person who can manage this starting from February.
We can sign the rental contract starting from next weekend but I need to be sure that you have serious intentions in renting the flat that`s why I attach here a model of the rental contract and also we can discuss the terms when we will meet!
If you are decided to view the flat let me know because there is another person interested in reserving it!
Kind regards

Followed by: Hello,
We could meet and maybe sign the tenancy agreement this Sunday but you see these is due to previous predicament that I have gone through in the past trying to rent the property to some students,I have got to realize so many people are not really in need of an apartment all they do is secure a place in advance, My last experience in trying to rent the property to a particular lady had got me to predicate on these,she made me believe she was willing and ready to get the apartment she even went to the extend of showing me her statement of account,which made me took her for the viewing but after taking her for the viewing,she saw the apartment and got to love it and never wanted to loose it,so she kept pleading i retain it for her because she is not financially composed at the moment,which i did but end up disastrously.
So basically for me to be sure of you been willing and ready to get the apartment I will employ your fiancée to walk into any Post Office and look after a Money Gram outlet and send the total bill cash £1440 (two months rent and the equivalent of one month as a safety deposit ) to your name (NOT to ME) with location of Gloucester or any other city in UK,All I need is for you to get back to me with the receipt issued to you after making the transaction so I can confirm it! When we will meet in person to sign the papers we will go together to Money Gram and you or your partner will withdraw the cash and pay me in hand. I just need to see that you do have the money available and you do have serious intentions in renting the flat! If the Money Gram agent will ask you about the receiver you should tell him that is a relative of yours because the transfer fees will be cheaper! Otherwise he might consider this a commercial transaction and charge you more. Anyway I will pay for it either you take the flat or not! I will book the flight for Sunday as soon as I have your positive answer.
I do apologise for that but as I told you last time when I arrived to Gloucester to show the flat to a person everything was a stupid joke and I hope you understand me because I don`t want to waste my time and money on plane tickets..
Regards
Advertisement

#207471 by FrancescaPiazza Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:27 pm
Hey guys,
I found another scam from Denmark.
This time he/she uses the email [email protected].
The message is almost the same:
"Hello,

I've attached some pictures of the studio and also a model of the rental contract(standard rental agreement)! The studio is located in St Pauls Way/Maroon Street, Bow, E3 4AQ but I can`t give you the exact address because there`s no one living out there and I`m afraid of thieves and I do apologize for this but I hope you understand me because I`m in Denmark right now! The property comprises well proportioned studio with bed, kitchen and bathroom.Parking place is included too!

In the kitchen there is a dishwasher and also a fridge freezer! Regarding the council tax I can tell you that it is included in the price of £530 per month and also internet broadband, gas and electricity are also included in this price! I am interested in a minimum three month agreement and I request one month rent in advance plus the equivalent of one month as a refundable deposit which you will get back at the end of the contract.

I prefer the first payment to be in cash, against signed rental agreement, keys and receipts!

Regarding the plumbings and all that kind of stuff I can tell you that the studio was recently renovated and all electrical part and plumbings are new so that won`t be necessary any repairs anyway I have a person who can manage this starting from August.

We can sign the rental contract starting from weekend but I need to be sure that you have serious intentions in renting the studio that`s why I attached here a model of the rental contract and also we can discuss the terms when we will meet!

If you are decided to view the studio let me know because there is another person interested in reserving it!

Kind regards"
#207476 by Jillian Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:09 pm
Welcome FrancescaPiazza!

Thank you for posting this scam email to help others.

FrancescaPiazza wrote:I found another scam from Denmark.

Please note that while the scammer is claiming to be from Denmark, he could be anywhere, and most likely is not where he claims to be.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#336214 by lady-tedy Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:22 pm
Thank you for post the emails, because thanks to that I found that the same guy is trying to scam me right now with a 1 bedroom flat in Borehamwood for 600. The emails that he send are exactly the same including dots and comas. Everything is copy paste they only change the address.
Thank you for help me avoiding to be scamed. :yikes:
#336215 by lady-tedy Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:25 pm
Now haveing a picture of him in the email and knowing is a scam. What is the next step? What you suggests me to do to report it? Do I have to go to the police or where?
#336217 by Bryon Williams Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:46 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Please post the email address and the email sent to you. Remove your personal information from the email prior to posting.

There is nothing to report. Just ignore the scammer.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/