Room for Rent and other rental scams
#193450 by vanvolxem249 Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:34 pm
I have just encountered Mathei Florian using both

[email protected]
[email protected]

advertising a flat in Brussels on craigslist. I raised my eyebrows as there was no link to the original posting in the reply email. And I recalled that on craigslist the email option was not anonymous but plainly [email protected]
So I looked back through the listings and it was no where to be found. One could assume it was removed before/during/shortly after sending the reply. So I quickly googled the name and here I arrived. So thanks for spotting this one out. And yes it is still happening.

The reply message reads as follows:

Hello

Thanks for your response, My flat is available from now on.where are you presently,when did you want to move in,did you have any relative on friends there.Get back to me on this email address for more information about my flat.

[email protected]

Waiting for your response as soon as possible.

Regards
Mathei
Advertisement

#201517 by jdm3 Wed May 14, 2014 1:34 pm
To everyone who has posted in this group, I would like to express my gratitude. I was just saved about 900 euro on a scam involving an apartment in Paris.

This person is still active using [email protected] as an email address.

would just like to let everyone know.

Cheers
#201539 by Bryon Williams Wed May 14, 2014 5:51 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners jdm3,

Thank you for updating this thread. If you encounter any more scammers please post them here on Scamwarners. Post the emails address and a couple of their emails to you. You have already helped others avoid this scammer.

Thanks
Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#201596 by vantrinh Thu May 15, 2014 8:18 am
Here we go,

I still got his email to ask for money yesterday 14 May 2014

The content of the email:

Hello

Thanks for your response, My flat is available from now on.where are you presently,when did you want to move in,did you have any relative on friends there.Get back to me on this email address for more information about my flat.

[email protected]

Waiting for your response as soon as possible.

Regards
Mathei

Hello ,

Thanks for the mail, i am so happy to let you know that the apartment is still very much available for rent.Here are some important information about the apartment.The apartment cost 400euro per month including all bills such as: Wireless internet facilities, Television, Phone, Microwave, Dish washer, washing machine, Dryer, Refrigerator,Bedroom,Bathroom, Toilet,Livingroom, kitchen, utility room, parking space, dishes, cutlery, pots, pans, fridge, stove, oven, microwave and coffee maker. The bedroom has a full bed with down duvet & pillows, the blankets, and a 6 drawer dresser, dining table, reading chair, fold out couch, water, hydro.

Plus 500euro for security deposit payment which is refundable while packing without any lost or damage of my properties.

The apartment is located at 4 Rue de Montalembert 75007 Paris,France and it just about 1.2km distance to its metro station,the apartment spacious is about 80sqm and a room is about 30sqm, restaurant and public transport all around and it's few mins walking distance to the supermarket, so it's located in a very nice and safe area in Paris.its on the second floor of the building.

To know much more about the environment,just open www,google.com, click on map, copy the address and paste it into the map, you will surely see the building and the environment very clearly.

But presently am not available in Paris for now as am presently in United kingdom now to complete my work with my company and am here with my families and my keys.But all you need to do is to go straight to the address i sent you to take a look of the apartment from outside ,But i want you to have it mind that the apartment is presently locked and am here with the keys.that is the reason why i sent you my apartment picture just for you to have an idea of how the inside looks like.you will be living in my apartment without sharing it with anybody.it is available for short term and long term basis because am going to be here for 2 years and i dont want my apartment to be dusty when coming back After 2 years,that is the main reason why am renting out my apartment.

But before any reservation,Can you tell me little about yourself,Anything you think you want me to know about you.

where are you from and also where are you presently?
what is your experience in renting an apartment?
Have you ever rent an apartment before?
Did you smoke?
Did you have pet?
did you take drugs?
did you have car?
Are you going to stay alone?
Are you paying the rent yourself?
What are you doing for living?
How old are you?
What is your gender?
Phone number?
Mobile Number?
What is the best time to call you?

Attach are some pictures of how my Apartment looks like.That is the information you need to know about my Apartment.If you are interested in renting my Apartment Kindly get back to me so that i can tell you on how to get it reserved.Here is my uk mobile number +447045780295 or +447035941978 for further discussion on the apartment.

Best regards,
Mathei

His email ad: Mathei Florian <[email protected]>; [email protected]

Thank you so much everyone for having this thread. I am happy that I haven't done anything stupid :evil:
#203897 by grenadine Sat May 31, 2014 6:44 pm
The same for Amstelstraat 25 Amsterdam

with email [email protected]

with message My name is Mathei Florian, I was born in Germany but i live in Great britian.....

with payment asked
Here is my lawyer bank information to make the payment to him:

It will take 6 days for the payment to reflect in my lawyer account

Bank name.... Bank of America

Bank address.... 1418 N Main St, Santa Ana, CA 92701, United States

Account name.... Robert Andrade

Account number.... 325014044795

Routing Number... 54190105

account type....Savings

Account address...... Santa ana California

Bank Acct Noted (BW)
#208371 by eyalnow Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:06 am
he or someone very similar is still doing it on craigslist.

claiming he's not in the country and i should go and look at the apartment "from the outside".
"But presently am not available in Amsterdam for now as am presently in United kingdom now to complete my work with my company and am here with my families and my keys.But all you need to do is to go straight to the address i sent you to take a look of the apartment from outside ,But i want you to have it mind that the apartment is presently locked and am here with the keys.that is the reason why i sent you my apartment picture just for you to have an idea of how the inside looks like.you will be living in my apartment without sharing it with anybody.it is available for short term and long term basis because am going to be here for 2 years and i dont want my apartment to be dusty when coming back After 2 years,that is the main reason why am renting out my apartment."

Mathei Florian [email protected]

and another one:

If you are truly interested in renting my room, you will have to pay the security deposit and one month rent in advance to show some seriousness that you really want this room, so that i can reserve the room for you for the period you want, cos a lot of people have wasted my time on this issue and i really want to deal with people who are serious and genuinely interested in the room.. I will like to have a brief introduction of your self, so that i can have idea of whom you are .

Thanks once again for the interest in my room while waiting to read from you.

Best Regards,
Anosha

-----

reminder to self - there are no free meals, and a 500 euro studio in amsterdam is too good to be true.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotations.
#208548 by Bryon Williams Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:47 pm
^^^^^ Please post the emails sent to you. Remember to remove your personal information. We will need this information to prove an email address is a scam attempt.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#208831 by gogosack Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:26 pm
Was sent this by a scammer named David Barthow. [email protected]. He went on to describe his family history, explaining that he lives in Italy now, and wanted to arrange a key/contract delivery through an italian company called Air Ocean Cargo. Thanks to this site for helping me confirm this scam.

ello!

I appreciate your interest!

My name is David Barthow and I have a beautiful and immaculate home for $820 /month, available immediately. Don't miss out on this opportunity! I think is a good deal!

Here are some more photos :https://plus.google.com/113217303954450420904/posts/B3swUHMd1FW?pid=6031191418852654754&oid=113217303954450420904

So you can have a better view of the place .

I'm the owner of this property and love this apartment so it means alot to me. I want to try and give you some insight into who I am and about the unit you are renting. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with it, I just want to find the proper tenant, someone who will treat and care my apartment like it was his own.

Attention!

If you are a quiet and responsible tenant, look no further. I believe I have the right apartment for you to move in and make it a home!

This unit has been professionally finished and decorated with a modern color scheme that coordinates throughout, it looks exactly like in the pictures, totally finished, fully furnished and I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own, NO extra costs!
It comes with 2 parking spots and has all the facilities and the utilities: Washing machine, dishwasher, dryer, refrigerator, stove, oven, juice machine, iron, toaster, coffee maker, microwave, vacuum cleaner. Never used Stainless Steel! Storage closets help keep everything organized for you and in it's proper place. Bright windows with a fresh kitchen and bathroom.

No more bills! The all utilities are included in this price (rent/month). No extra fees!

Short or long term lease. The lease is flexible, can be month to month, min stay 3 months - max 5/6 years. The price will not increase monthly, it will remain the same for the whole period that the contract will be signed for.

I want this rental to be as smooth as possible, I really need to take care of this matter by the end of the next week. I am looking forward to hear from you, so that I can forward you an application form to fill out and discuss on how to get the property for rent.

Respectfully,

David Barthow
#216651 by Kun Huo Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:58 am
I see the same posting on Kijiji posted for the Hamilton Area in Ontario, Canada, price is $850 a month. The scammer (under the name Erik Watson) sends an email through [email protected] asking for a deposit of 1700 through WesternUnion to see the keys and contract. I checked with a rep at the real Linco-Freight and he confirmed that this is fraudulent!

Vigilance!