Room for Rent and other rental scams
#96236 by Con Warner Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:28 am
May alternate his replies from [email protected] and the email address below.
Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Subject: Regarding the 1bedroom 1bathroom suite for sublet.
To:

Hi,
Thanks for your interest in wanting to be my tenant. I am looking for a responsible & clean tenant that will be able to take good care of my apartment because I work as Research Associate in Molecular Imaging Research/Neurology and I do travel a lot, Presently I am in the United Kingdom for research and I don't know when I will return back to the states that's why am looking for a Tenant who will live in the apartment and take care of it as i don't want to sell it. The apartment is available for long term and short term lease is also accepted. The apartment is located at 345 Franklin Street Cambridge, MA 02139

The apartment is furnished. The rent is inclusive of the below listed utilities.
• High Speed Internet
• In-Suite Laundry
• Large in-suite storage
• Cable

Its a spacious and lovely 1-bedrooms 1bathrooms and 1 storage furnished apartment, Utilities are included and Pets are allowed.
Kitchen completely equipped, Kettle - Toaster - Dishwasher - Freezer - Microwave - Oven - Dryer - Heat - Water - Washing Machine and Electric..
I want you to note that I am a kind and honest man and also I spent a lot on my property that I want to give you for rent, so I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of the apartment and I would want you to treat it as your own, I would like you to keep it tidy all the time I also want you to let me have trust in you as I always stand on my word,the rental fees is $700 per month including utilities and the security deposit is $500. I will like you to drive by to the building at your convenient time to view the exterior of the building for you to know where the apartment is located. Find attached, some of the interior pictures of the apartment for you to know what the inside looks like. I will be shipping the keys and documents of the apartment to you through DHL express next day delivery as soon as we have concluded. Get back to me with your final decision after viewing the
exterior features and let me know if you wish to proceed further so that I can forward you the rental application form for you to fill and get back to me.
Regards
David Lowery

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#112377 by FutureBen Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:25 pm
Thanks! This saved me a bit of aggravation. He googled my name and claimed to have a similar job to mine.
His new alias and email is: David Stanley <[email protected]>

Hi,
Thanks for your interest in wanting to be my tenant. I am looking for a responsible & clean tenant that will be able to take good care of my apartment because I work as ---------Redacted------ and I do travel a lot, Presently I am in the United Kingdom for research and I don't know when I will return back to the states that's why am looking for a Tenant who will live in the apartment and take care of it as i don't want to sell it. The apartment is available for long term and short term lease is also accepted. The apartment is located at 345 Franklin Street Cambridge, MA 02139

The apartment is furnished. The rent is inclusive of the below listed utilities.
• High Speed Internet
• In-Suite Laundry
• Large in-suite storage
• Cable

Its a spacious and lovely 1-bedrooms 1bathrooms and 1 storage furnished apartment, Utilities are included and Pets are allowed.
Kitchen completely equipped, Kettle - Toaster - Dishwasher - Freezer - Microwave - Oven - Dryer - Heat - Water - Washing Machine and Electric..
I want you to note that I am a kind and honest man and also I spent a lot on my property that I want to give you for rent, so I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of the apartment and I would want you to treat it as your own, I would like you to keep it tidy all the time I also want you to let me have trust in you as I always stand on my word,the rental fees is $700 per month including utilities and the security deposit is $500. I will like you to drive by to the building at your convenient time to view the exterior of the building for you to know where the apartment is located. Find attached, some of the interior pictures of the apartment for you to know what the inside looks like. I will be shipping the keys and documents of the apartment to you through DHL express next day delivery as soon as we have concluded. Get back to me with your final decision after viewing the
exterior features and let me know if you wish to proceed further so that I can forward you the rental application form for you to fill and get back to me.
Regards
#119661 by fimonstre Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:47 pm
Found this guy on Craigslist while searching for an apartment in Boston. He is now going by "David Hamilton", and sent me the same email. I was suspicious because he didn't email me back directly, but rather CC-ed me while sending from [email protected] to himself, with the reply-to as <[email protected]>. Also, I'm sure a "research associate in molecular imaging research/neurology" would have better grammar skills than that.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!
#211501 by Karaivanova Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:22 am
Hello
I think he is the same person who contact me from craigslist. This is him letter. This time his name is Nicholas Cole . His new email is [email protected]

Thanks for your interest in wanting to be my tenant. I am looking for a responsible & clean tenant that will be able to take good care of my apartment because I work as Research Associate in Molecular Imaging Research/Neurology and I do travel a lot, Presently I am in Maryland for a research and I don't know when I will return back to the apartment that's why am looking for a responsible tenant who will live in the apartment and take care of it. The apartment is available for long term and short term lease is also accepted.

The apartment is located at: 474 Hawthorn Ave #3, Sunnyvale, CA 94086
Bedrooms: 1
Bathrooms: 1
Property type: Multi-Family Apartment
Parking Spaces: 1
Size: 700

I want you to note that I am a kind and honest man and also I spent a lot on my property that I want to give you for rent, so I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of the apartment and I would want you to treat it as your own, I would like you to keep it tidy all the time I also want you to let me have trust in you as I always stand on my word, the rental fees is $900 per month including utilities for the whole of the apartment and the Damage deposit is $400. I will like you to drive by to the building at your convenient time to view the exterior of the building for you to know where the apartment is located and get back to me with your final decision after viewing the exterior features and let me know if you wish to proceed further so that I can forward you the full interior pictures for you to have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the application process.

Regards,

Nicholas Cole.
Last edited by Karaivanova on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
#211503 by Bryon Williams Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:34 am
Thank you for editing your post.

Posting for the internet bots to pick up.
This time his name is Nicholas Cole . His new email is [email protected]

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/