Room for Rent and other rental scams
#98563 by Con Warner Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:52 am
The name and property address used for this rental scam belong to a real and innocent person. The real person is in NO way connected to this scam. His name is being abused by a scammer.

Date: April 23, 2012 10:47:26 AM EDT
To: Con Warner
Subject: Re: Rental Home, Ranch - E. Quogue, NY - craigslist
Reply-To: John K Berntson <[email protected]>

Hi,
I did get your response concerning the AD I posted on craigslist. The house is still available but presently I'm not around.. I did bid for a portion of petroleum land sometimes ago in West Africa and fortunately I won the bidding so I have to move quickly down to Africa to have my company set up because I will still have to rebid for it in the next 7 years. I came over here with my wife, we both bought the house when we got married. As soon as we settle down here I had a thought of selling the house so I have to look for an agent, after getting one, we got a deal but later my wife advised against that. She said we may not be able to win the bidding next time, in other to keep our head when we return that we have to keep the house. I reasoned with her and accepted her advise. So I contacted the agent back and requested for my keys and documents. Later we decided to have the house rent out, we would have give the same agent this job also but the truth of the matter is that the agent would want to handle it professionally and the occupant may not be able to reason along with him later. If you notice, you will discovered that the price we are offering is far below standard price, this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the absolute care for the property. I know there is no way I can be sure that you are the right person to live in the house because we won't be able to see physical before sending you the keys and the documents to occupy the space. But I just had a feeling that anyone who knows what it takes to put the kind of structure down should know that maintaining a building is mandatory, so if you belief you can take good care of the house and handle it like yours then I will be more than happy to let you rent the house.Please if you are ready now to occupy the house kindly provide the information below for record purpose

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
Full Name__________________________________________________
Home Phone ( ) ________________________
Date of Birth_________________________________
Other Phone ( ) ___________________
Current Address_______________________________Apt#________ City__________________ State______ Zip________
Reasons for Leaving____________________________Rent $__________
Are you married____________________________
How many people will be living in the house____________________________
Do you have a pet____________________________
Do you have a car____________________________
Occupation____________________________
How long do you want to rent this home_____________________
Move In Date____________________________
How soon can you pay the deposit_____________________

TAKE NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE BY AND SEE MY HOUSE FROM THE OUTSIDE AND IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RENTING GET THE APPLICATION FORM FILLED OUT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME SO THAT I CAN SHIP MY KEYS TO YOU FOR YOU BE ABLE TO GO AND LOOK AT THE INSIDE OR MOVE IN IMMEDIATELY. I WOULD HAVE REALLY LOVE TO SHIP THE KEYS TO SOMEONE IN STATE BUT I DON'T HAVE ANYBODY THERE RIGHT NOW AND I DON'T WANT TO MAKE USE OF ANY THIRD PARTY THAT IS WHY AM HANDLING MY PROPERTY MYSELF..

Call me @ +2348183686282 or +2348032479990

House Address
141 Spinney Road, East Quogue NY 11942

Monthly Fee:$1000
Security Deposit:$500
Pets Allowed:
Available :Available Now for move in.

So pls get back to me today.
I await your reply ASAP.
Regard and God bless you!!!
John Berntson

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#100272 by K.az Sun May 06, 2012 9:30 am
I received the exact email but for a different property in San Diego and from a different email/name.
Name: Gary D Fenelli
Email: [email protected]
Re: $1000 Single-Family Home (San Diego CA)
Received: May 6, 2012 12:55AM

I won't repost the whole email since it is the word-for-word the same, except for the last part:

Call me @ +2348183686282 or +2348032479990  

House Address
6915 Elaine Way, San Diego CA 92120

Pets Allowed:

I await your reply ASAP.
Gary D Fenelli
#106488 by jessicamari Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:32 pm
Just got this email last night

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/apa/3048323270.html

Re: $1000 / 4br - Single Family Residence - Moreno Valley, CA ( Moreno Valley )?

6/03/12
Reply ? Anthony Yourgulez
Add to contacts
To Removed

Hi,

I did get your response concerning the AD I posted on craigslist. The house is still available but presently I'm not around.. I did bid for a portion of petroleum land sometimes ago in West Africa and fortunately I won the bidding so I have to move quickly down to Africa to have my company set up because I will still have to rebid for it in the next 7 years. I came over here with my wife, we both bought the house when we got married. As soon as we settle down here I had a thought of selling the house so I have to look for an agent, after getting one, we got a deal but later my wife advised against that. She said we may not be able to win the bidding next time, in other to keep our head when we return that we have to keep the house. I reasoned with her and accepted her advise. So I contacted the agent back and requested for my keys and documents. Later we decided to have the house rent out, we would have give the same agent this job also but the truth of the matter is that the agent would want to handle it professionally and the occupant may not be able to reason along with him later. If you notice, you will discovered that the price we are offering is far below standard price, this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the absolute care for the property. I know there is no way I can be sure that you are the right person to live in the house because we won't be able to see physical before sending you the keys and the documents to occupy the space. But I just had a feeling that anyone who knows what it takes to put the kind of structure down should know that maintaining a building is mandatory, so if you belief you can take good care of the house and handle it like yours then I will be more than happy to let you rent the house.Please if you are ready now to occupy the house kindly provide the information below for record purpose

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF

Full Name__________________________________________________

Home Phone ( ) ________________________

Date of Birth_________________________________

Other Phone ( ) ___________________

Current Address_______________________________Apt#________ City__________________ State______ Zip________

Reasons for Leaving____________________________Rent $__________

Are you married____________________________

Do you have a pet____________________________

Do you have a car____________________________

Occupation____________________________

How long do you want to rent this home_____________________

Move In Date____________________________

How soon can you pay the deposit_____________________

TAKE NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE BY AND SEE MY HOUSE FROM THE OUTSIDE AND IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RENTING GET THE APPLICATION FORM FILLED OUT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME SO THAT I CAN SHIP MY KEYS TO YOU FOR YOU BE ABLE TO GO AND LOOK AT THE INSIDE OR MOVE IN IMMEDIATELY. I WOULD HAVE REALLY LOVE TO SHIP THE KEYS TO SOMEONE IN STATE BUT I DON'T HAVE ANYBODY THERE RIGHT NOW AND I DON'T WANT TO MAKE USE OF ANY THIRD PARTY THAT IS WHY AM HANDLING MY PROPERTY MYSELF..

Call me @ +2348183686282

House Address

12781 Pinebrook Court, Moreno Valley CA 92553

Pets Allowed:

I await your reply ASAP.

Anthony Yourgulez

I replied and received this today:

Glad to hear from you,i got your application form filled and everything is okay by me.

Myself and my wife are very exited and willing to let you move in our house as soon as possible and we have concluded in accepting payment for the first month payment which is $1000 including Utilities inside and a security deposit of $500 total of $1500 to move in as soon as you are ready.

The package containing the keys and documents will be delivered to your address ( Removed ) after your deposit is confirmed here.

Here are the contents of the document.

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys

2)Paper/Permanent house form

3)The house documents file.

Once again, we are giving you this on trust and do not disappoint us.

So I am with your information's here with me and i will like to know whether you are ready for the payment of this month Rent so that the keys and the document could be shipped to you as soon as possible so that you can possible occupy the house now.Your full address is needed because that is where i will send the keys and documents of the House.

Call me @ +2348183686282

I await your reply ASAP.

Anthony Yourgulez

Mod note: Removed personal details for safety. - CW :wink: