Room for Rent and other rental scams
Advertisement

#124203 by glennwillem Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:34 am
This same emails were send to me as well, literally the same. Lucky I found out it was a scam. Thanks for putting it here, it saved me a lot of time and who knows, maybe a lot of money!
#125718 by cassimc Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:09 pm
Hello,

I live in France and I have received exactly the same email and everything. He told me that he would make arrangements with an agency called TRULIA, and since it's a real agency I trusted everything.
Well, I didn't know that he created a different website for this TRULIA agency with fake telephone numbers and addresses.

The thing is, I did the transaction since I was desperate for a new apartment since I got a new job and need to move.

I did the transaction but discovered later that everything was fake. I have the iBAN and SWIFT code of the bank account to which I did the transaction, it's a BARCLAYS bank account.
Do you think that, knowing the bank code I can manage to have my money back?

thank you for your help!
#126723 by Pasion Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:55 am
Hi all,

This individual seems that in started his fraud in Wien Austria to.

http://www.willhaben.at/iad/immobilien/ ... d=46865408

Sent: Mittwoch, 26. September 2012 22:04

Dear Customer,

I appreciate your intent of renting my apartment.The apartment is in Radetzkystraße 23/12 / 1030- Wien Landstraße,Austria.
I bought this apartment for my son during he studies in Wien ,but now he's back home ( Cyprus / Larnaca ) permanently,so I'm renting the place for unlimited time. Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you,like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment,and for how long.
The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished equipped and renovated.Also very important,the utilities water hot/cold, electricity, heating, gas, Internet, cable, parking space, dishwasher, garbage disposal, are included in the price of 410 EUR per month and I believe it is convenient for us both.
All the bills will be paid by me and you have to pay only the money for the rent in every month.The security deposit is also 410 EUR,and you get it back,when you decide to leave the apartment( you will have to give me at least 2 moths notice ).As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment.
My son is building his life and now he will go with his wife in Portugal to make them business, and about me I am too old to move to Wien ,so we won't disturb you.
You can use my furniture,or you can also use your own if you prefer.I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own(no extra costs).
Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better.
I'm a 57 years old Neuro-Oncology doctor from Cyprus / Larnaca ( NHS Trust ), planning to retire in the next 5 years.I have no problem if you will keep animals.
The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave Cyprus even for one single day. But this won't affect you at all.
I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from Cyprus(on my expense of course).
Thank you for your interest and I will look forward to hearing from you as soon as posible.

King Regards!!!

Admin: please make one singular topic for thes guy becose there are at least 4 posts on thesame problem
http://scamwarners.org/forum/viewtopic. ... a0#p121539
http://scamwarners.org/forum/viewtopic. ... a0#p122011
http://scamwarners.org/forum/viewtopic. ... a0#p122010
http://scamwarners.org/forum/viewtopic. ... a0#p121517

Admin note: There are actually hundreds of posts on the same problem, which is why we have a rental scams forum. Scammers tend to use formats that are very similar or identical. In general, we try to encourage people to separate the scammers by name unless we can be absolutely certain there is a connection. Combining all of the topics into one long topic would result in a topic thousands of pages long, and impossible to navigate for people who are searching for a specific name or email address.
#127233 by peace Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:13 am
Hello,

Thanks for your interest, i bought this apartment for my son during
he's studies , but now he's back home in London UK permanently, so i'm
renting the place for unlimited time. Before we go any further i would
like to know something about you, like how many persons you intend to
live in the apartment, what is your job , how old are you and for how
long you will stay . The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully
furnished equipped and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities
water hot/cold, electricity, heating, gas, Internet, cable, parking
space, dishwasher, garbage disposal, are included in the price of 700
eur per month and i believe it is convenient for both of us. All the
bills will be paid by me and you have to pay only the money for the
rent in every month. The security deposit is also 700 eur, and you get
it back, when you decide to leave the apartment ( you will have to
give me at least 1 month notice ). You can use my furniture, or you
can also use your own if you prefer. I'm a Neuro-Oncology doctor from
London - United Kingdom . I can make arrangements to rent the
apartment from here fast and easy . I look forward to hear from you
soon. Thanks

and second letter

Hello ,

Thank you for your reply but the thing is that I'm in United Kingdom already. Like I have inform you before, the price you must pay on the first month of rent will be 700 eur + 700 eur security deposit ( 1400 eur ), with no extra fees . I must have one month rent + security deposit from you. The money, I want to receive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it. Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. So i have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well . The solution is provided by a rental company called Trulia which is similar to FedEx or UPS , Escrow ... etc, which will handle both payment and delivery of the keys. I have found a procedure that will allow you receive the keys of it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment. To start this transaction, I need your full name, address and telephone number. I will also need to know the rental period and the day you want to move in so I can put it in the contract. I will pay for the services of the agency, so there will be no costs for you. Also, in case you have another apartment right now, and you cannot move out immediately, we can make the deal as I explained it now, and consider it only an inspection and reservation. I look forward to hear from you soon .

Thanks
#127305 by Bubbles Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:40 am
Welcome to ScamWarners peace. Please post up the emal address the scammer is using to contact you. If it is a different scammer than the one mentioned above, please send me a PM and I will start its own topic so it is easier to find by people who search.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#129739 by quarniento Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:10 pm
Many thanks for above posts.
Dr Kevin Brown attacks now in Poland. He try rent flat in Warsaw (Radna 11 street) by gumtree.pl
I got a message from an addres: [email protected]

His/her standart letter:
=======
"Hello,
Thanks for your interest, i bought this apartment for my son during he's studies , but now he's back home in London UK permanently, so i'm renting the place for unlimited time. Before we go any further i would like to know something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment...bla, bla, bla....."
======

Greetings for All,
#131597 by Robin Hood Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:51 am
He now also attacks Belgium: using 2 mail adresses
"Kevin Brown" <[email protected]>, as a response and [email protected] where he registered his add.

Hello,

Thanks for your interest, i bought this apartment for my son during he's studies , but now he's back home in London UK permanently, so i'm renting the place for unlimited time. Before we go any further i would like to know something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, what is your job , how old are you and for how long you will stay . The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished equipped and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities water hot/cold, electricity, heating, gas, Internet, cable, parking space, dishwasher, garbage disposal, are included in the price of 400 eur per month and i believe it is convenient for both of us. All the bills will be paid by me and you have to pay only the money for the rent in every month. The security deposit is also 400 eur, and you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment ( you will have to give me at least 1 month notice ). You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. I'm a Neuro-Oncology doctor from London - United Kingdom . I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from here fast and easy . I look forward to hear from you soon. Thanks

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 2:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Immoweb - Reactie op zoekertje Te huur

Een bezoeker wenst meer informatie.

Beste,

een bezoeker wenst meer info over uw... Appartement TE HUUR N°3983218
500 EUR
2000 Antwerpen
Leopold de Waelplaats 8
#133938 by Esse Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am
Hi
Thank you so much for putting this information here.
I almost fell for the exact same email, in Antwerp, from Adam Konowalski, same adress as well.
Luckely I didn't fully trust the situation and you have mentioned his name here.
Hopefully others find out on time as well
Gr
#137390 by Mochi Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:05 pm
Hello,

I've just been scammed by the same person : [email protected] with almost the same email:

Here's the first one

Hi there,

Thanks for your interest . I bought this lovely apartment 4 years ago, when i lived there with my job (I am a construction engineer ), but my company has finished its projects and now I'm back in my own country, United Kingdom and I live in Bristol. I have renovated and bought new furniture, all equipment is new and I had thought to sell it, but on the grounds of market blockage and the international crisis, it is impossible for me to sell it right now, so I have decided to rent it. Before we go further, I would like to know a little about you, such as how many persons you intend to have staying in the apartment and for how long also if you can send me a picture it will be nice . I will be glad to rent it to anyone who likes to keep it clean and tidy. I can rent out the flat for unlimited time ( 1 to 10 years maybe more ) . I can also rent it for short periods (2-3 months minimum). The rent for 1 month is 280 EUR including all utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, cable , internet . You may use my furniture, or you can use your own , it's the same thing for me . I have the option of sending all my furniture to storage, if you want to bring your own (no extra cost). You can move in to the apartment on the same day that you receive the keys. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but i have a solution fro that if you are still interested . Thank you for your interest and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards

The second one:

Hi again ,

Thanks for your reply, but the problem is that I am already in United Kingdom. As I informed you, the price you will have to pay the first month rent of 280 EUR + 280 EUR deposit ( 560 EUR), with no additional fees . I need from you one month rent plus deposit. I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account. I trust that there is no problem for you to send money to my bank account . The apartment is ready , you just need to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you can accept it. Of course we will need some way to go through this agreement, to allow us ensure that we get what we are expecting. For in it, I have discovered how we could finish the deal securely and quickly, and in this way, you will receive the keys in less than 2 days, if you move quickly as well. A rental third party service called Trulia IMB, which corresponds to FedEx or UPS Escrow .. etc , offers this solution and will handle both payment and delivery of the keys.In this way, you may see it and decide if you want to live in the apartment or not, before I receive any payment. To start this transaction, I need your full name, address, city, postcode and country . I will also have to know the rental period and the day you want to move in, so I can put it in the contract. I will pay for the services performed by the agency, so there will not be any additional cost to you. In addition, if you have another apartment right now, and you cannot move out immediately, we can come to an agreement as I have explained here, and consider it only an inspection and reservation.I will wait your quick response, because there are other people waiting for my answer too, so i need to know if I can count on a deal with you .

And the third one:

This company I've hired is an escrow thid party from London, specialized in these kind of deals .
They are called Trulia Imb. , and their website is: http://truliaimmo-uk.com/
This agency will handle the delivery of the keys, the inspection of the flat and also the payment .
Here's how it works :
1 – To start this transaction, I need your full name, address and telephone number. I will also need to know the rental period so I can put it in the contract.
2 – I will go to Trulia's office to drop off the keys and documents of the apartment, along with the contract
3 – Trulia will check the documents to make sure I am the actual owner of the flat and after that they will contact you.
4 – At this point you'll have to pay the money for the first month and the security deposit to their escrow account . , according to the instructions from the invoice.
This will be a guarantee . The deposit will be just a formality, and it will not commit you to renting the flat.
The money will remain in the custody of Trulia . until you have checked the flat and confirmed that everything is in order.
6. You will go to your bank to make the transfer or you can do it from home if you have online banking and you will send them the proof of payment .
7 – If you will be satisfied by the apartment we will sign the contract and the deal is done . However, if you are not pleased with the apartment for any reason they will give you the money back immediately .
I will pay for the services of the agency, so there will be no extra costs for you.
If you want to begin, please give me the details which I requested above, so I can make the arrangements. Thank you

And here is the fake Trulia website they are using : http://truliaimmo-uk.com

Well, I should have come here before because, stupid as I am, i paid for this... They just played on my weaknesses, I needed an appartment quickly and everything seemed perfect there. Is there anything we can do to stop this? Close the fake website, track the scammers with the fake bank account?

The website is in the process of being reported for fraud. Mike W.
#137403 by Mochi Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:21 pm
Please, I need to know something important. As i fell into the trap, the scammer has my name and bank account. Also, i sent him screenshots of the confirmation payment with Internet Banking. These are screenshots showing only name and bank account, i don't think there are other interesting informations. I need to know if he can use those one to fraud again? I don't know if it's possible to enter into my account just with the name and number but i'm kind of afraid here... Anybody has an answer?
#137405 by Dotti Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:45 pm
Typically, it should not be enough to do further harm. But it is much better to be safe than sorry.

Contact the fraud department of your bank as soon as reasonably possible, and explain what has happened. They might want to take additional anti-fraud precautions, maybe even change your account number--different banks handle things differnetly.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#137421 by Mochi Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:36 pm
Thanks! I already told my bank (i tried to cancel the transaction with them - maybe it will work but i don't put to much hope in it) and they didn't seem to worry about this, but i will call them tomorow and explain the problem again, see what we can do... Thanks for you reply!
#137549 by romzy92 Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:36 am
This person just scammed me under the email address [email protected]. I'm a 19 yr old girl living abroad, in a hurry to find a place to live and I honest to God wouldn't have known any better. I had never done this before and the money was basically all I had. Now I have to leech off my mum and cause financial problems for everyone else in my family as well. He totally fooled me. I'm very trusting, obviously too much so. Even now I can't quite believe this has happened and that a person could be so cruel.

I'd still be waiting for the keys if I hadn't tried to call "Trulia" to request a confirmation and the number didn't work. So I put Trulia IMB into google to look it up again and found this site. I have contacted my bank even though I know it's too late. I'm going to the Finnish police this afternoon with print-outs of my e-mails and will show them this page too, so they can see how many people it's happened to. I know I won't get my money back but I have to know I did something.

The scary thought is that if he or she is clever enough to forge a website, making a fake ID from my details for future identity fraud must also be a piece of cake.

Update: I looked at the Finnish site's original email (there was a link on the official site to ask the landlord for more details) and the email the automated request was sent to is [email protected].