Room for Rent and other rental scams
#116602 by perhegg Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:41 pm
Hello! I got this mail today. Did notice that something was very wrong but I wrote him a few times just for the fun of it and to see his/her methods. This is the replies a got:

Hi,
I just received an email of interest in my apartment . I am an english solicitor working at a Mizuho Financial Group .I bought this apartment with my wife in 2007 while we worked in Denmark at Greentech Energy Systems,but now we are back home permanently, so we are renting the place for unlimited time.The flat is furnished and renovated, as you could see from the photos. I am the only owner of the apartment, it is paid in full and it has no legal problems.The apartment has not been inhabited since I am no longer living in Denmark.
I wish to rent my apartment to some nice and responsible people and in order to do that I have to know a some details about you, like how many persons are you planning to live in the apartment, for how long, if you have a steady income, etc. I must tell you from the beginning that I do not have a problem if you are a student and I am very fond of pets and willing to accept them in the apartment. You should also know that I appreciate sincerity very much.
In addition to everything else here is a little something about the apartment and myself so we can get to know each other.
The apartment is the one in the pictures from the advertisment. You can rent the flat for any period of time (open end contract) but not less than 3 months.
About myself, as I told you I am a Solicitor currently living in London United Kingdom .
You can move in the apartment in the same day when you receive the keys. The only issue is that I am already in United Kingdom but I hope that together we will find a solution.
I appreciate your interest in my property and I am looking forward to a future collaboration and friendship.
Regards,

next email:

Hi again ,
Thanks for your reply,
That sounds great !
You seem to be a very nice person and I can assure you we will not have any problems .Like I have informed you before, the price you shall pay for 1 month of rent will be 6500 dkk including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, fireplace, dishwasher, garbage disposal and i want aslo 13000 dkk as a kaution ( the guarantee deposit 13000 dkk you will receive back at the end of the contract ), with no extra taxes to pay. The money, I want to recive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money .
Of course you will have to see the apartment before discussing further details . I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs.The delivery for the keys and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made with escrow http://WWW.Escrow.Com this is a third part agency that will handle shipping of the keys and payment, to make sure that we can trust each other.
I will explain the procedure if you are interested so please email me as soon as you read this message because I really need to take care of this matter.
Regards,

next email:

Hi again,
I attached photos. The apartment can be furnished as you want.
First of all , I want to tell you that if you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works.
You will have 2 days to inspect the apartment before your final decision to rent . I will pay the shipping costs.
This is how they work :

1) I will make the delivery papers at Escrow services (http://WWW.Escrow.Com ) .
2) After I will make the papers for delivery they will require for your payment confirmation of the first 1 month and the guarantee deposit(6500dkk +6500 dkk Kaution = 13000 ddk) to the company .Escrow will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody .
Also Escrow will give you further instructions about the money deposit .
3) After the payment is confirmed the delivery process will start and when you will receive the keys, you will have 2 days inspection period before your final decision to rent .
4) If all is in order, you will instruct Escrow agent to give me the money. Further rents will be sent directly to my bank account.
5) If you refuse to rent the apt , Escrow will give you a full refund ( 13000 ddk ) and you will give them back the keys and the contract.
If you are interested to rent the apartment please send me your information, so i can make the deal:
Name:..................
Address: ...............
City: .....................
Postal Code: ...............
Phone number:...............
A copy of your ID:...........
Thanks!

I hope this can be of use!/ Per "Still living in Stockholm" Removed personal information. ~Bubbles
Last edited by Bubbles on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quotations added for clarity.
Advertisement

#173484 by rma360 Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:27 pm
Hi,
I am actively searching for an apartment in CPH right now and received a suspicious email today. Thank god I googled the email and stumbled on this post...

Here is the scam email, its pretty much identical:
Hello,

My name is Adam Brewer and I received your email of interest for the rental of my apartment located in Admiralgade, 1066 København.
I am a research engineer for a pharmaceutical company and I bought the apartment while working on a 2 year contract in Copenhagen as an alternative to renting. I am the only owner, the apartment is paid in full and free of any charges. The apartment is not inhabited since I am no longer living in Copenhagen.
My intention is to rent the apartment to nice, clean people and in order to do that I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons do you intend to live in the apartment, do you have a steady income, etc. I must tell you from the beginning that I don't have a problem if you are a student, I don't have a problem with pets (I own a little dog myself) and I appreciate sincerity.
Here's some infos about the apartment and about me so we can get to know each other.
The apartment is the one in the photos attached to this email, but the furniture has been moved into my private storage room. If you don't have furniture I can take it back with no extra costs for you.
The rent for 1 month is 9500 kr (for the entire apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, private washing machine). You can rent the apartment for any period of time (open end contract).
About me, I am 38 years old and as I told you I am a research engineer for pharmaceutical products, currently living in my home town London, United Kingdom.
You can move in the apartment in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I am already in London, but I'm sure we'll find a solution to you send you the keys and the contract in order to move as quickly as possible.
Thank you for your interest and don't hesitate to contact me back for more details.

Best regards.
#257334 by kbhguy35 Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:05 pm
I just got a scammer on dba.dk using the name Diane Maya Nelson with NEM-ID verification and offering an apartment for 25% of it's value. They said they're living in the UK and can't show the apartment and the keys have to be mailed blah blah. Same scam as 10 years ago. I wrote dba.dk however they haven't taken down the post.

--

Hi Chris,

I am sure that you are a serious person and I will be more than happy to have you in my apartment. Last week I found someone who wanted to rent my apartment, but when I got there, he no longer responded to my calls, maybe he changed his mind, but I have lost two tickets and two working days.

We can not meet to view the apartment because I do not want to risk losing any more money and time, so I decided to leave the keys and the lease contract to www.airbnb.com, and they will take care of everything. The reservation will be made through AIRBNB.

There you will be asked the first month's rent, which is 4000 DKK + 8000 DKK deposit.
I wait your contact if you are agreed to rent the apartment. Thank you for your interest.