Room for Rent and other rental scams
#134801 by Michelle Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:48 am
Date: Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: You've received another prospect from Point2
To: Michelle Banks

Hello,
Thank you for your response and nice to meet you. Like I have informed you before, the price you have to pay for one month of rent will be $1100 + $400 deposit. We can start with a basic 1 year contract with the possibility of renewing it or with the period of time suitable for you. About the payment, I would like to receive it monthly into my bank account and I hope there will be no problem for you to wire the money to it. You only need to receive the keys and the contract so you could check out the apt, and see if you like it.

Since I'm Oxford we need a way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are asking for. I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely that will allow you to pay for the rent only after you will receive the keys and rental contract, you can receive them in less than 2 days. The solution is provided by a third party company called DPD Parcel Shipping which is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS, and will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys.

Through this service you will see the apt and decide if you like it or not, before sending the payment. Please click on the link bellow to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the web site of the company where this procedure is explained:

http://www.dpd.com/

Let me know if you are interested,

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#136087 by rentalseeker Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:57 am
I am glad that I checked this person's email address. Here is the email I received early this morning:

Hello ,

I am sorry if I had responded you so late but I had some serious health problems and didn't had access to my PC. I hope this email finds you well my name is Ashley Whitehead. The apartment is located at 500 Atlantic Avenue, Boston MA 02210. It has 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1 kitchen and 1 living room at $1100 per month (below market value) in return for taking good care of the place. I am looking for someone who will be careful and thoughtful to live in it, as soon as possible, because I have recently suffered a divorced and I will move back home in England. The lease can be for a minimum 3 months. I'm the full right owner of the apt and the utilities are included in this price (rent/month). Everything in this apt is functional because is recently renovated. Just to mention a few, it includes: (refrigerator, washer/dryer and most important a parking place.). I would also like to know how many persons will occupy the apt and for how long would like to sign the rent contract. (any pets? cats or dogs?). Unfortunately I, have the keys no one else have access in the apt because it is a private property.

Thank you for your interest and wait news from you.
Last edited by Michelle on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: quotes added