Room for Rent and other rental scams
#190908 by suvrajit Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:55 pm
Hi,

Similar incident with Steven Mageor ([email protected]) the name and e-mail address of the person who posted the ad on OC craigslist. This was for a one bedroom apartment in Irvine, CA way below the usual rate. The post didn't even give a location as to where in Irvine it was. When I emailed 'Steven' asking about the location, a Kelly Hill ([email protected]) responded, but didn't say anything regarding which neighborhood the apartment was in. Instead she said she needed my credit history before showing me the apartment, and included a link (where it says CLICK HERE in the e-mail, see below) that directed me to http://linkfroms.com/607f82e0932a9bf7265da67bda257458. This redirects to a website, www3.simplecreditsolution.com, purportedly from TransUnion. This made me suspicious as I thought this might be a phishing attempt. So I did some Google search and ended up on this message board. I am copying Kelly's e-mail underneath. Some of the language and setup is pretty similar to the other e-mails but the details are slightly different.

---------------------Kelly's e-mail---------------------------------

Hi,

I hope things are good. Here's some good news: the apartment's still available! We thought we had the place rented to a couple we showed it to today, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to lease it as soon as possible. You were the second one to respond regarding it.

I am sure you will want to do a walkthrough of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, the empty property was broken into and vandalized. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a half year term if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and request a copy of your free credit score. We use this site for all the properties we manage since it's free through Transunion. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the score. What is in the report isn't important to us, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues. You can get your free credit score at CLICK HERE

Remember, we only need to see the page about the rental history. That will be all you will need to bring with you to the showing. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 560+.

Once you let me know that you have your credit history ready, then I'll personally schedule a walk through of the place. Once you see it, you'll fall in love!

Thanks again,
Kelly Hill

------------------------------ Kelly's e-mail ends ------------------------------

I didn't fill out the form or anything so hope it's all good.
Advertisement

#191108 by ellenaj Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:18 pm
I have that same email but it was sent from a Sophia Thomas. I checked craigslist and saw this 1 bed/2 bath apartment for rent in Northridge, California for $850 with utilities and w/d included. The area over here is mixed but Northridge is typically a nice area. Given the price, I probably should have known... Yet after inquiring about it, I received this email:

Hi,

How's your day going? Here's some good news: the apartment's still available! We thought we had the place leased to a couple we showed it to today, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to rent it as soon as possible. You were the second one to respond regarding it.

I am sure you will want to do a walkthrough of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, the empty property was broken into and vandalized. We don't want that to happen again! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a half year term if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and request a copy of your free credit score. We recommend this site because all of our tenants used it and never had any problems. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the score. What is in the report isn't important to us, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues. You can get your free credit score at CLICK HERE

Keep in mind that we are only interested in the page about the rental history. That's all we need to see at the showing. We'll also waive your security deposit if we see that your rating is above 560+.

Give me a heads up when you have an updated version of your credit history. Then I'll schedule you for a walk through. Once you see it, you'll fall in love!

See you soon,
Sophia Thomas

Its interesting though because it appears that I sent my inquiry to a lady named Teresa Tonguno. Her email was [email protected]. But not paying much attention to who I sent it to, I made it to the website given for my credit score. The site was the simplecreditsolution.com site. I saw a retargeting occur but I did not think much of it. I went as far as adding my current address and phone number to make an account. The second page asked for my credit card number so I can receive a report for $1. Given how many places online around here are asking for credit scores lately, I didn't think much of it but something told me to check the site first before continuing on. I googled that site and found this forum. I'm glad I didn't continue on but now I'm a bit worried about my other info... Though I'm sure my information would be easy to obtain through white pages or so right? Hopefully it will be okay.... It's been a while since I've gone apartment hunting...
#192137 by bluengold Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:19 pm
Hi All,

I received a similar email from a "Julie Adams" at [email protected] after replying to a Craigslist post:

Hello,

I hope you are having a wonderful day. Here's some good news: the apartment's still available! We thought we had the place leased to a couple we showed it to today, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to lease it as soon as possible. You were the second one to show interest about it.

I am sure you will want to do a walkthrough of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, the empty property was broken into and vandalized. We don't want that to happen again! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a half year term if preferred. We just ask that you give us fair notice if you are moving out.

When you're ready for a personal appointment, then please go to the link below and grab your free credit score. All of our tenants use this site because Transunion is widely trusted. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the score. What is in the report isn't important to us, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues. You can get your free credit score at CLICK HERE

Keep in mind that we are only interested in the page about the rental history. That's all we need to see at the showing. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 570+.

Give me a heads up when you have an updated version of your credit history. Then I'll schedule you for a walk through. I know that you'll love it!

See you soon,
Julie Adams
#192206 by dspiel80 Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 pm
I received the same email from Sophia Thomas (after emailing a Donald Waaking) about an apartment in Chicago. I'm suspicious of Craigslist posts that don't show the address of the property (or at least the intersection) to begin with but I figured no harm could come from sending an email. I was suspicious of the response at first because I work at a bank and had never seen rent information reported on a credit report (apparently this is new within the last 3 years or so). The refusal to provide the address was a HUGE red flag and the link seemed very strange but I clicked on it anyway out of sheer morbid curiosity. Fortunately I Googled the site before entering any personal information and I ended up here. Glad I did!

Hello,

I hope you are having a wonderful day. The good news is that the apartment is still available! We thought we had the place rented to a couple we showed it to today, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to rent it as soon as possible. You were the second one to respond regarding it.

I am sure you will want to do a personal showing of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, it was broken into and vandalized. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a half year lease if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

When you're ready to schedule an appointment to see the place, then please go to the link below to grab your free credit score. We use this site for all the properties we manage since it's free through Transunion. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the score. What is in the report isn't important to us, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues. You can get your free credit score at CLICK HERE

Keep in mind that we are only interested in the page about the rental history. That will be all you will need to bring with you to the showing. We typically waive the security deposit with a score of 560+.

Please let me know when you grab your credit history. I can then schedule you for a walk through of the place. Once you see it, you'll fall in love!

Thanks again,
Sophia Thomas
#192475 by sloria Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:44 pm
My email cam from a Sarah Andrews, mailing from [email protected]. I received this email this morning about a craigslist rental listing in Monterey Park, CA. Note that the email was sent at 7:38AM and she had supposedly shown the apartment to a couple "today." Also, my roommate had emailed her as well, and had done so before me, so there is no way that I was the second one to inquire:

"Hello,

How's your day going? Here's some good news: the apartment's still available! We thought we had the place leased to a couple we showed it to today, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to lease it as soon as possible. You were the second one to respond regarding it.

I am sure you will want to do a walkthrough of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, it was broken into and vandalized. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a half year lease if preferred. We just ask that you give us fair notice if you are moving out.

When you're ready to schedule an appointment to see the place, then please go to the link below to grab your free credit score. We use this site for all the properties we manage since it's free through Transunion. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the score. What is in the report isn't important to us, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues. You can get your free credit score at CLICK HERE

Remember, we only need to see the page about the rental history. That's all we need to see at the showing. We'll also waive your security deposit if we see that your rating is above 570+.

Once you let me know that you have your credit history ready, then I'll personally schedule a showing of the place. I know that you'll love it!

Thanks,
Sarah Andrews"
#192524 by Jillian Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:59 pm
Thanks to all of you who have added information to this topic!

Please note this part of the email you received:

This "free credit check" is an affiliate scam, which is explained here: http://credit.about.com/b/2012/02/23/lo ... -scams.htm

What's the scam? It's quite possible that the "landlord" was just an affiliate of the free credit report website where you ordered your credit report. Affiliates have financial relationships with certain businesses and websites and earn money anytime users sign up for a product or service. Remember that free credit report link you clicked on? It probably included the "landlord's" affiliate ID number which allowed him to get paid for your free credit report. The "landlord" is richer and you're stuck trying to figure out how to get the charges off your credit card statement.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#192530 by suvrajit Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:21 pm
Jillian wrote:
This "free credit check" is an affiliate scam, which is explained here: http://credit.about.com/b/2012/02/23/lo ... -scams.htm

Thanks for the info Jillian, didn't think of that. Thought it was phishing, which might still be possible since some of the posters said they completed the forms, gave their credit card details but didn't get any credit score.
#193658 by joburrell Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:52 pm
Craigslist email: [email protected]
Response email: <[email protected]>
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ ... 13437.html
$850 / 1br - Downtown Beauty! 1/1.5 Condo That's Amenity Packed (Silver Spring)

Hello,

How's your day going? The good news is that the apartment is still available! We thought we had the place leased to a couple we showed it to today, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to rent it as soon as possible. You were the second one to email me about it.

I am sure you will want to do a personal showing of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, it was broken into and vandalized. We don't want that to happen again! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is one year, but can be switched into a half year lease if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

When you're ready for a personal appointment, then please go to the link below and grab your free credit score. We use this site for all the properties we manage since it's free through Transunion. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the score. What is in the report isn't important to us, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues. You can get your free credit score at CLICK HERE

Keep in mind that we are only interested in the page about the rental history. That's all we need to see at the showing. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 570+.

Please let me know when you grab your credit history. I can then schedule you for a walk through of the place. I know that you'll love it!

Thanks,
Sarah Andrews
#195235 by mkoepke10 Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:54 pm
I just got one from [email protected]

I went to the website and entered my name and phone number but when I got to the second page it looked really phishy so I x-ed it out and googled the website.. Does anyone think from just my phone number and name I'll be affected negatively at all?

Thanks all!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ ... 21480.html
Hello,

I hope things are good. The good news is that the apartment is still available! We thought we had the place leased to a couple we showed it to today, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to rent it as soon as possible. You were the second one to show interest about it.

I am sure you will want to do a personal showing of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, it was broken into and vandalized. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a 6-month lease if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and request a copy of your free credit score. All of our tenants use this site because Transunion is widely trusted. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the score. What is in the report isn't important to us, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues. You can get your free credit score at CLICK HERE

Keep in mind that we are only interested in the page about the rental history. That will be all you will need to bring with you to the showing. We'll also waive your security deposit if we see that your rating is above 560+.

Once you let me know that you have your credit history ready, then I'll personally schedule a showing of the place. I look forward to showing you the place!

See you soon,
Julie Adams
#195358 by bsargent2 Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:24 pm
Date: March 25, 2014 at 9:37:41 AM PDT
Subject: RE: 1bd/2bth corner unit with central air, balcony and high ceilings - $540 / 1br

Hello,

I hope things are good. The good news is that the apartment is still available! We thought we had the place rented to a couple we showed it to today, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to lease it as soon as possible. You were the second one to email me about it.

I am sure you will want to do a walkthrough of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, the empty property was broken into and vandalized. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a 6-month term if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

When you're ready for a personal appointment, then please go to the link below and grab your free credit score. We recommend this site because all of our tenants used it and never had any problems. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the score. What is in the report isn't important to us, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues. You can get your free credit score at CLICK HERE

Keep in mind that we are only interested in the page about the rental history. That's all we need to see at the showing. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 550+.

Give me a heads up when you have an updated version of your credit history. Then I'll schedule you for a walk through. I look forward to showing you the place!

Thanks again,
Julie Adams

To [email protected]
Today at 1:03 PM

please help.. i sent to the site below for credit report. and gave all information once i was the scam site i got in contact with Experian and put a fraud. what do i do now how do i know they wont use my information and how do i know i wont get charged etc.... help please!!! :cry:
#195373 by suvrajit Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:15 pm
bsargent2 wrote:From: Julie Adams <[email protected]>
Date: March 25, 2014 at 9:37:41 AM PDT
Subject: RE: 1bd/2bth corner unit with central air, balcony and high ceilings - $540 / 1br

please help.. i sent to the site below for credit report. and gave all information once i was the scam site i got in contact with Experian and put a fraud. what do i do now how do i know they wont use my information and how do i know i wont get charged etc.... help please!!! :cry:

I am no expert at this, but in order to avoid getting charged on your credit card, call up the credit card company and try to cancel your existing card and ask them to issue you a new card. Regarding identity theft, I have no clue, but maybe signing up for one of those identity protection companies, e.g., LifeLock may be useful. I have no idea how effective they are though, and it will cost you some money. Best of luck!
#197226 by S soto Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 pm
This people just tried to do the same scam on me as well. I got my credit report for her but NOT from the link she got me on the email.

I was concerned about following links so i did it on my own.

Didn't send it to her or anything like that.

I was about to write to her again when i saw her email. I found it suspicious so i googled it and surprise. Just found this there.
#199494 by kawaiiko Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:16 am
Thank you guys for posting... you have saved me from sending personal information. Below is the scam I almost got myself into:

Here's another scam by [email protected] on Craigslist on 4/29.
The location is in Park Slope in Brooklyn, NY. Luckily it was flagged by craigslist and it was flagged for removal.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/abo/4445506283.html

--------------------------Email from Julie Adams----------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:58 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Luxury 1 Bed At Its Finest Great Location - $1,320

Hi,

How's your day going? Here's some good news: the apartment's still available! We thought we had the place rented to a couple we showed it to today, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to rent it as soon as possible. You were the second one to respond regarding it.

I am sure you will want to do a walkthrough of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, it was broken into and vandalized. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a half year lease if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

Keep in mind that we are only interested in the page about the rental history. That will be all you will need to bring with you to the showing. We typically waive the security deposit with a score of 560+.

Give me a heads up when you have an updated version of your credit history. Then I'll schedule you for a walk through. I look forward to showing you the place!

Thanks again,
Julie Adams

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 14:57:59 +0000
Hi -
I am interested in more information about this unit. Can you tell me what the location of the apartment is? And when it would be available for viewing?
I live in Park Slope and am looking for an apartment for my mother to live close by. It would be for just one person.

Thanks very much.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/abo/4445506283.html
#200454 by bryan2369 Wed May 07, 2014 11:20 am
I found this in the Washington DC Craigslist. I entered in my info and got a credit score
but cannot find any way to cancel the membership on eFreeScore.com. Here's the
Craigslist ad:

$875 / 1br - Updated and Modern 1BR Unit (Falls Church)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

1BR / 1Ba apartment
w/d in unit off-street parking
Significant sunny one bedroom unit. Big recently installed windows. Wonderful Condition! All modern wiring , Heating, and Plumbing. It continues to be painted this week. Kitchen and bathroom was updated within the last few years. Full size washer & dryer in the unit. Plenty of parking and one garage parking spot. This unit is a WOW. Utilities are included in the price of rent. For those who have questions tell me. Pets are allowed. 12 month lease.

And their reply to my inquiry:

Alice Reed
To Me
Today at 10:03 AM
Hello,

I hope things are good. Here's some good news: the apartment's still available! We thought we had the place rented to a couple we showed it to today, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to lease it as soon as possible. You were the second one to show interest about it.

I am sure you will want to do a personal showing of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, it was broken into and vandalized. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a 6-month lease if preferred. We just ask that you give us fair notice if you are moving out.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and request a copy of your free credit score. We use this site for all the properties we manage since it's free through Transunion. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the score. What is in the report isn't important to us, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues. You can get your free credit score at CLICK HERE

Keep in mind that we are only interested in the page about the rental history. That's all we need to see at the showing. We typically waive the security deposit with a rating of 570+.

Once you let me know that you have your credit history ready, then I'll personally schedule a walk through of the place. I look forward to showing you the place!

See you soon,
Alice Reed

Bryan