Room for Rent and other rental scams
#171503 by Michelle Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:28 am
To: Michelle Banks
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 5:12 AM
Subject: Re: house

Hello,
I did get your response concerning the ADVERT i posted on Craigslist. The house is still available for RENT but presently i am out of the country. I did bid for a portion of petroleum land three months ago in West Africa and fortunately i won the bidding so i have to move down to Africa to have my company set up because i will still have to rebid for it in the next 10 years. I came over here with my wife and my daughter, my wife and i bought the house when we got married. As soon as we settle down here i had a thought of selling the house but later my wife advised against it. She said we may not be able to win the bidding next time, in other to keep our head when we return that we have to keep the house. I reasoned with her and accepted her advise. Later we decided to have the house rented out. If you notice, you will discovered that the price we are offering is far below standard market price, this is enough for you to know that we are not after the
rental fee but the absolute care for our property. I know there is no way i can be sure that you are the right person to live in my house because we won't be able to meet in physical before sending you the keys and the documents to occupy the house. But i just had a feeling that anyone who knows what it takes to put the kind of structure down should know that maintaining a building is mandatory, so if you believe you can take good care of the house and handle it like yours then i will be more than happy to let you rent the house.

House Address: 3327 Nyeland Ave, Oxnard CA 93036
Monthly Rent: $1000
Refundable Security Deposit Payment:$800
Section 8 Available.
Pets Allowed: Cats,Dogs etc.
Available Date: Available Now.

Please if you are interested to occupy my house kindly provide the information below for record purpose :-

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
Full Name___________________________________
Current Address________________________ City_____________ State______ Zip Code________
Home Phone ( ) ___________________
Mobile Phone ( ) ____________________
Date of Birth_________________________________
Reasons for Leaving____________________________Rent $__________
Are you married________________
How many people will be living in the house_________________
A Picture of your self if possible______________________
Do you have a pet______________
Do you have a car______________
Occupation____________________________
Monthly Income_________________________
Move In Date___________________________
HOW SOON CAN YOU HAVE THE DEPOSIT PAYMENT SENT TO ME___________________________
HOW SOON DO YOU WANT TO RECEIVE THE KEYS AND DOCUMENTS OF THE HOUSE___________________________

Please note than you will only be able to drive by the house for now but not have a look at the interior until i have sent the keys and documents of my house to your destination, and the requirement for getting the keys and documents of the house is a fully refundable security payment as stated above, but i am giving you a benefit of doubt that you will love everything about this lovely home. You are advised to act fast on this so you don't loose the house to other interested applicants.

I Await your response so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the keys to you.

Best Regards
Mr/Mrs Delena Monsivais

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement