Room for Rent and other rental scams
#172963 by Michelle Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:59 am
Date: 2013/7/31
Subject: RE: Request for your Offer at Starflats.co.uk
To: Michelle Banks

Hello

Thanks for the reply and the sincere interest you have in my flat.The flat is fully furnished in and out and there is a garage and a off street parking in my flat and i will like you to know that it is a one bedroom flat and you can as well share it if you are willing to do so,I and my husband have both agreed to have you in my flat.,it is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my flat without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Coventry to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work.Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who are in UK,also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by there employees.

Henceforth my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing or before making a reservation for any interested candidate. I would not ask you to send your bank statement neither your pay slip because it will be inappropriate for me to collect any money from you neither my lawyer. At least 1 month rent and security deposit which is £ 550 which is refundable after your first week stay in my flat, would be required from you to transfer through the western union outlet. You can make the transfer with your name as a sender name and your partner or friend in UK premises as a receiver.

Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will send it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your friend's custody, after verification, then we can proceed for the viewing. Note that the transfer must be confirmed valid before the receiver picks up the money and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer when we meet.

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Brenard

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#262445 by Nickys87 Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:48 pm
I have came across these scammers today! Below are the email address and names they are using!
So after I found out these people were scammers: I was trying to see if I could view the property without putting the deposit down, but kept on coming up with lies and lies. I have left it at this - but the scary thing is people can be caught by this and they take people who have earnt their money earnstly and we can't do anything about this! So I am hoping to warn others of this scam!!
There are currently two!!

[email protected]

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. The flat is still available for rent and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit. Rent per calendar month is £500 { includes all bills : water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet} also Security deposit of £500 And it is protected by the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme(http://www.depositprotection.com/){Refundable after four weeks in the flat}.

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you. Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have references in UK and do you have a number in which i can reach you? i will appreciate if you can get back to me with all this information. Kindly reply for further information and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat.

Best Regards,
Mr/Mrs Cole

[email protected]

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. The flat is still available for rent and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit. Rent per calender month is £400 { includes all bills : water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet} also Security deposit of £800 And it is protected by the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme(http://www.depositprotection.com/){Refundable after four weeks in the flat}.

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you.Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have references in uk and do you have a landline number in which i can reach you?i will appreciate if you can get back to me with all this information. Kindly reply for further information and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat

Regards
Mr/Mrs Brenard

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me and your genuine interest for the flat is well appreciated. I am sorry as the best possible way to reach me is with the email even though I had a phone but I suffered from hearing difficulty hence the reason I cant use the voice call but be sure I will be responding to your inquiry swiftly as i do check my inbox frequently.

I am not so sure how soon you can come view but I wished this can be done asap and you can move in and feel relax after viewing if you really like the place also are you coming to stay with your husband ? that isn't an issue because couples are allowed also kids too.

However,i currently work and live in Portishead and i would need to take a day off in order to come down and schedule viewing with you. Some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relatives, also some do not meet up with the appointments.

Nevertheless, you would need to make a deposit to secure the flat but before that, my lawyer would need some information from you to draft an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement which you will print and bring along with you on your arrival date to my flat.

Your full name:
Current address:
Confirmed move in date:
Mobile number:

Please get back to me with these information so that i can tell you how to proceed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

I am supposed all what is requested has been explained to you and its not that am making it compulsory for you to rent the flat as there are many other flats to rent from. The reason why the deposit is asks has been cleared many time in my previous email even though am not asking for a complete £800 even its half of it or at least a minimum of £300 to prove off your interest we can proceed with that and if you decide to rent the flat you settle for the rest and if not i will be returning back to you your total transfer without any deduction. At this stage i will appreciate if you let me know of your opinion and if you not comfortable i will suggest you look for other flats so it doesn't seems we wasting time.

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly and in answer to your question, it becomes necessary that you will get deposit before we proceed with the viewing, however be very rest assured that if after the viewing you are not comfortable with the flat i will be returning back to you transfer deposit without any deduction and the monthly rent can be settled at your arrival to the flat if you decide to take it.

The tenant that left the flat also did the same thing and there was no problem , am pretty sure you will also like the flat and since your deposit is equally protected by the Tenancy Deposit Scheme so you have nothing to worry about.

I can equally send you contact details of various past tenants who did the same thing and they too were very fine with it. Transfer of deposit is done via the bank so you should be sure its most secure and payment is made directly to my Lawyer so as soon as confirmation of payment is ascertain we schedule the viewing immediately. so assuming you are able to deposit transfer done then be sure we proceed with the viewing evening equally you can move in same day,

Kindly let me know of your opinion so we can proceed while i patiently await your response asap.

Regards

I am supposed all what is requested has been explained to you and its not that am making it compulsory for you to rent the flat as there are many other flats to rent from. The reason why the deposit is asks has been cleared many time in my previous email even though am not asking for a complete £800 even its half of it or at least a minimum of £300 to prove off your interest we can proceed with that and if you decide to rent the flat you settle for the rest and if not i will be returning back to you your total transfer without any deduction. At this stage i will appreciate if you let me know of your opinion and if you not comfortable i will suggest you look for other flats so it doesn't seems we wasting time.

Regards!
#264385 by jorro_bg Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:02 pm
Oh, baby! She's still active in summer-2015! Where is the POLICE?!!! (Already forwarded the scam to [email protected] and filled in the online reporting form.)
Quote:
"From: emily brenard [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 9:12 PM
To: Me
Subject: RE: One bedroom convenient flat in Brighton to rent

Thanks for the reply and the information provided. I and my lawyer have both agreed to make a reservation for you so you don''t need to be worried as long as you have promise me that you will take proper good care of my flat just the way it is. However, my lawyer asked me not to collect any money from you as long as you have not sign a contract neither have i taken you round my flat so he decided to make a confirmation of your financial ability before we proceed with the reservation.

Henceforth, my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing. I would not ask you to send your bank statement. At least 1 month rent of 314GBP and security deposit which is £ 600 which is refundable after your four week stay in my flat,would be required from you to transfer through the western union. You can make the transfer with your family member or friend's name as a sender and your name as a receiver to an address in Brighton and you can as well use my flat address.

Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will send it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your custody, after verification, then we can proceed for the reservation and you can easily pick up the money at the nearest western union outlet when you arrive to Brighton and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer when we meet. I 'll appreciate if you can get the transfer done tomorrow morning in other for me to finalize the reservation before your arrival as they are alot of people looking for a good flat this summer period.

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Brenard"
End of quote.