Room for Rent and other rental scams
#173236 by Michelle Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:19 pm
2013/8/4 Tudor Schomber <[email protected]>
Hello,

I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in : Visschersplein 24, 3511 LX Utrecht. It has 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 kitchen and 1 living room. I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in The Netherlands, but now she's back home (London/UK) permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.
Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.
The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, dishwasher,microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are included in the price of 400 euro/month. Security deposit is 600 euro, and you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment (you will have to give me at least 30 days notice). As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment. My daughter is building her life here, and i am too old to move to The Netherlands, so we won't disturb you.
You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.
Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Tudor Schomber and I'm a 58 years old graphic designer from London, planning to retire in the next 2 years.
The only inconvenience is that my job d oesn't allow me to leave London even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.
But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from UK (on my expense of course).

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Date: 2013/8/4
Subject: RE: Room for rent
To: Michelle Banks

Hi Michelle

Thank you for your prompt response and for your kind email. If you are still interested I agree to rent it to you. I promise you that you will love the place. You seem to be a nice person and I can assure you we will not have any problems.
Obviously you will have to see the apartment before discussing further details because you cannot rent an apartment that you haven't seen. I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs.
The delivery for the keys (apartment keys, interphone, alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through an authorized courier and using a Moneybookers Escrow Account to make sure that we can trust each other.
Using Moneybookers escrow account involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Moneybookers as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct of the transaction.Please click on the link to the Moneybookers website where you can find the procedure explained : https://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=escrow&l=EN

Here is the procedure explained :

The Escrow Account Moneybookers works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Moneybookers. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee (400 + 600 = 1000 Euro), must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
The delivery will be by a licensed company such as DHL, Federal Express or UPS and it will be sent by Moneybookers at your home.
To initiate the process, I need the following information about you:
-Shipping Address (address where you want the package to be delivered) and name of recipient;
-Delivery Schedule (local time you'll be at home to receive the package and sign the receipt);
-Phone number;
You don't need to open an account with moneybookers because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.
Then Moneybookers sends you the keys and the contract already filled with your details; You will have 14 days to inspect apartment since the arrival date; If you want to keep the apartment, they give me the money, and we go on from there; If you do not keep the apartment, you send the keys/contract back to Moneybookers and you get your money back.
This will be in writing in the moneybookers contract I will sign.
The MoneyBookers fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure, you will have to pay for the money transfer fees when you pay the deposit.
If you agree to move forward I can send you a copy of the rental contract in blank.
I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the moneybookers rental transaction.
Thanks again for your time and look forward to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement