Room for Rent and other rental scams
#173278 by Jesus1 Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 pm
thank God for this site!!!!!

I have been frantically looking for an apartment for months now. I am a new mom, and so, I needed a space where I can raise my newborn safely and comfortably. money was tight so when I saw the posting for this apartment on trulia.com I immediately pursued it.

it was for 7728 141st queens ny
it read that it is a 2 bd 2 bth for $1200/ month

it did sound too good to be true but I have family members that have successfully found homes on trulia, so I figured it was a trusting post.

I began an email conversation with the supposed "Jacob Rohin" [email protected]
he answered all my questions and sent me interior pictures of the apartment.
he said he would be unable to physically show me the apartment because he just started a new company in the Philippines and so he will not be back to the states until mid next year.

there were several aspects of the emails that caused me to question the deal I was about to close:
1. he ignored my asking how I would be assured that there will be no surprises since I could not view the apartment personally

2. he sent me the application via written email saying "just in case I could not open the attachment"; however there was no attachment

3. I revisited the trulia posting and saw the same apartment but under complete different information (now it was for sale and minus a bed and bath)

4. I googled the address and saw a craigslist posting that was filed for removal

and finally I googled the images of his supposed self and came across melaz425 posting and BOOM! I was warned!!!!

please be careful with apartment postings online. this person had no compassion what so ever. I openly told him I had a newborn and the moron still tried to continue with his scam. I sent him my current addresses and call number so I hope to God he cannot do anything with that...

I do not know how to upload pictures on this but as soon as I figure it out I will post the pics of the apartment and person I was sent

thank you scamwarners for saving my pocket!!!!
Advertisement