Room for Rent and other rental scams
#173331 by Michelle Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:25 am
Date: July 5, 2013, 11:54:32 AM EDT
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: Re:
Reply-To: jmgir jdie <[email protected]>

I must confess that I am very very new in this landlord business..However, My name is Melvin W Finke,I own the house.Previously,i resided in this particular house with my family before we packed due to an emergency transfer to Head the Surgery department of a General Hospital in west Africa and this transfer is temporary but will last for 5years. Regarding my Home,I want you to know that the House is furnished,but you can also move into the house with your own Personal furniture. The Utilities are intact such as Dishwasher,Dryer,Electric Stove,Fridge,Washer,Air Condition,Sewage,Trash,all included in the monthly rent, Please note that,we are a kind and honest family,that spent a lot on this property that is available for rent,so in one accord,we are soliciting for your absolute maintenance of this house and want someone who can treat it as his or her own,We want someone who can keep it tidy all the time so that we shall be glad to see it whenever we are around on a visit. $600 for Security Deposit . Air Conditioner Dishwasher Walk-in Closet Refrigerator Vaulted Ceilings Washer/Dryer Cable etc...Below is my phone number +2348128267489,

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
RENT APPLICATION FORM

FIRST NAME:__________________
MIDDLE NAME: _________________
LAST NAME: __________________
PROFESSION: ________________
(CELL)PHONE () __________
(CELL)PHONE () _____________________
(WORK)PHONE () __________
MARITAL STATUS?__________
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________
PRESENT ADDRESS: _____________________
CITY: _______________
STATE: ______________
ZIP CODE: _______________
HOW LONG? ______________IF RENTING
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING YOUR CURRENT HOME?_______________
IF THIS PROPERTY IS BEEN GIVEN TO YOU,HOW WILL YOU PROVE TO ME,YOU CAN TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT?_______________
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? _______________
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________
DO YOU HAVE YOUR DEPOSIT ?______________
ARE YOU READY TO SECURE THE HOME ?______________
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
NAME OF PET: _____________
KIND OF PETS: _____________
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE? ___________
DO YOU DRINK? ______________
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT? ____
ANY OTHER INFO YOU WISH TO TELL US ABOUT?______________
Application Comment
============================== =======
Please make sure these questions are filled correctly because the best way you answer with your comment will impress me the more to accept your application.I know you would want to see the house before making any kind of rental payment , which is understandable.We can make arrangement for the keys and documentation including an Authorization letter to be shipped to you,this will give you the opportunity to view house.
Regards
Melvin W Finke
+2348128267489

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement