Room for Rent and other rental scams
#173336 by Michelle Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:39 am
Date: August 2, 2013, 6:14:12 PM EDT
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: Re:
Reply-To: Help Mercy <[email protected]>

Dear Rental

Thank you for the interest

It will be my pleasure to reply you that the unit in question is still very much available and is Located @ 1247 G St, Valley Stream, NY 11580 . Monthly rent $950. Security Deposit $950

My name is Dr. Luis Peter . I am the rightful owner of this place and is still very much available for rent. I would like to tell you more about the place and to know you more by you answering those questions i listed below.

I received your mail about your interest in renting from me.I graduated from the University of Kiel (Germany) in 1974. I worked at AME-SADA a member of the Safe Drinking Water Alliance which promotes point of usewater treatment as a means to reduce the incidence of diarrhea-related mortality and morbidity in different parts of the world. As part of the program in Haiti, a community mobilization component is being implemented to encourage community dialogue and collective action around safe water and water treatment. AME-SADA is leading the implementation of this component. A major activity of this component includes community and household monitoring of water treatment behaviors and practices.

I am been transfer to West Africa in support to directed and strengthening the Integrated Water Resources Management scope of the activities, embedding potable water activities in a broader,cross-sectoral framework. Specifically,focuses on specific areas of intervention in West Africa including:

* livelihoods and income generation;
* governance and the enabling environment;
* information management;
* gender mainstreaming; and
* hygiene behavior change.

Below is a rental form.

Name tenant: _____________________________________________
Desired date of occupancy: ________________________________________
Desired length of occupancy: ______________________________________
Desired No. Of occupants: Adults: _____ Children: _____
Smokers: Yes_____ No_____
Pets: Yes_____ No_____
PRESENT ADDRESS: _______________________________________
City:_______________ State:______________
How long: __________________________
Home Phone No.:(____)_______________
Current rent payment: _________
Reason for moving: ___________________________________________________
Employer: __________________________________________________________
Address: ___________________________City:_________________State:_________
Position: __________________________ how long: _______________________
Occupation______________
REFERENCE INFORMATION NEEDED:
NAME:
ADDRESS:
EMAIL:

I hope you will be able to take over the property and take good care of it in our absence. Kindly give answers to my questions and get back to
me with any questions you want to ask.Upon receiving this form i will call you and mail also to tell you on how we can make an arrangement for you to go view the place,i await your mail.

Many thanks and God bless.

Regards
Luis

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement