Room for Rent and other rental scams
#173420 by Con Warner Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:35 am

Thanks for your swift response regarding my property, the home is currently vacant and it is available for move in.
It has a very large bedrooms with spacious in built wardrobe , living room with dining area, 2 bathroom, dishwasher, washing machine and clothes dryer. The home comes with two parking spots, a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want use your furniture). Pets allowed. I am the owner of the apartment .
The apartment looks exactly the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Qatar, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.

Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Steven Vendel and I'm a 58 years old graphic designer from London /United Kingdom, planning to retire in the next 2 years.
I have a lovely wife,Sarah and a 25 year old daughter, Maria. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandfather . Another member of our family is a 8 year old Labrador which we all love, so, I have no problem if you will keep pets.
The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave London even for one single day.
But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from London (on my expense of course).

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

All the best from United Kingdom!

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or MoneyGram to an escrow company with a promise that he will send the keys through a courier company.

Sounds safe. It's not!
The emails claiming to be from the company are fake.

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Hello again,
Thank you for answer me so fast.
The price for one month of rent is 4300 QR including all the utilities costs .
Of course I would need one warranty month as well of 4300 QR , which you would get back when you will leave the apartment(you will have to give me at least 30 days notice).

I am not interested to make a lot of money from the rent as I am interested to find a tenant that will take goof care of the property.I wish to rent my apartment to some nice and responsible people and in order to do that I have to know a some details about you (Your name,address,like how many persons are you planning to live in the apartment, for how long, if you have a steady income, etc.). You should also know that I appreciate sincerity very much.

Because didn’t had time to find a trustworthy person, don’t have any friends in the area to send the keys I found an alternate solution in order to close the transaction safe for the both of us ,a company who will handle the payment and keys + contract delivery, it is an international company called TNT Rentals,please visit there website( http://www.tnt.com/express/en_gb/site/h ... ivery.html ).

They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the Keys and Lease Agreement. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment and after that they will pay me or no depend if you will keep the apartment or not.

To avoid any misunderstanding i will glad explain you step by step how the transaction work if you are interested.
Looking forward to receiving your response.
Thank you

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement