Room for Rent and other rental scams
#173421 by Con Warner Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:37 am
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 11:11
Subject: Re: - $650 / 2br - Apartment in a good location (Calvert st, Washington dc)
To: Con Warner

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in my 2 bedroom apartment. My name is Moody Bola of the apartment you are renting. I am very happy that i found an intending tenant for my apartment. I live in the apartment located 2700 Calvert Street Northwest Washington DC 20008 with my wife and daughter before we relocated to West Africa 'Nigeria' where we are presently. We do not want the apartment to remain vacant because we left the US for a life-enriching programmed called (HBP) 'Healthy Babies Project, that basically focus and help at-risk families. We reach out to high-risk, low-income, substance-abusing, pregnant and parenting women, men, and their families and we also work with service provider partners to connect women and families to resources including health care, housing, nutrition, mental health services, educational support, skills building, substance abuse support and employment. We have inspiring stories from at-risk families who have had healthy babies and are moving out of the cycle of poverty - (thanks, to HBP) project. I am looking for a responsible and reliable tenant for my apartment. I am not after the money for the rent but if you can promise to be the right tenant to take good care of my home like it's your own then i will send you the keys and documents via Fed Ex courier services as soon as all terms are settled.

The 2 bedrooms apartment which is $650 monthly rent include utilities and it features: Breakfast nook, Refrigerator, Stove/Oven,garage, Balcony, Deck,or Patio, Air conditioning, Walk-in closet, Hardwood floor, Tile floor, Living room, Cable-ready, High-speed internet ,Garage parking. Washer/Dryer and the apartment is not furnished. We are presently in Lagos city in West Africa Nigeria with the keys and documents to the apartment because we could not locate an agent to take charge due to a short time of notice of our programmed and also we do not want any abuse of our home for any illegalities or to be destroyed at our absence. If the price and location of the apartment is okay by you then reply back with the details below,

TENANT'S DETAILS
1) Your Names
2) Your Address and Phone?
3) Age?
4) Marital Status?
5) Number of occupants?
6) Have any pet or a car?
8) Occupation?
9) Renting period and move in date?
10) Sex?

The apartment pictures are attached for your visibility, you can drive by or pass through to see the building, even though you can't view the inside because we have the keys here with us. For more details. Get back ASAP.

Thanks and God bless,

Best Regards.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement