Room for Rent and other rental scams
#201028 by Goduke8 Sat May 10, 2014 4:52 pm
I was searching for an apartment to rent and got caught up with this scam:

he apartment is located in Boston in Massachusetts. The property is a Walking distance to HARVARD UNIVERSITY and BOSTON MEDICAL CAMPUS CENTER is also walking distance to the nearest metro station the room is furnished ,marble bathroom, the living room and bedroom are spacious and it conveniently contain a queen-size bed or 2 single beds,the room is art fully decorated . While retaining the original charm and character.The Living room has beautiful tiles and hosts a Stereo CD System, LCD TV, DVD, and Cable. DSL WIFI High Speed wireless is Setup for internet use. The dining table accommodates 4 persons. The Kitchen is fully equipped with a refrigerator ,freezer ,microwave,4 Element stove, toaster,coffee/tea maker, plus cookware. The bathroom is Equipped with all new amenities with modern elegant features. It Features a bathtub/shower, toilet, sink,towel, warmer, washer, hair Dryer plus luxurious towels. There is a large closet near the door entry
for storage of luggage and large items. The apartment is equipped with fresh linens, blankets, duvets and pillows.

The location is 660 Massachusetts Avenue Boston, MA 02118, USA

The lease Is $700 per month and additional $700 for Security deposit, which is Refundable during your departure. And you are entitled to all the Utilities and services like water,heat oven, elevator , washing Machine,dryer, gas cooker,micro-wave, dishwasher ,Internet charges, Electricity bill and others. I am confidently assuring you that you will be more than satisfied when you come into the apartment.

You will see the attached pictures of the room above. Let me hear from you asap if you really have an interest in renting the room.

*She attached photos from these pages:
http://vacationresortsrus.com/wisconsin ... on-resort/
http://www.gogobot.com/teris-chicago-gu ... ion-rental
Advertisement

#201030 by Goduke8 Sat May 10, 2014 5:13 pm
She and her "brother" Victor Goodwin are renting a fake apartment with fake photos. BE CAREFUL!!
I will attach her emails:

The apartment is located in Boston in Massachusetts. The property is a Walking distance to HARVARD UNIVERSITY and BOSTON MEDICAL CAMPUS CENTER is also walking distance to the nearest metro station the room is furnished ,marble bathroom, the living room and bedroom are spacious and it conveniently contain a queen-size bed or 2 single beds,the room is art fully decorated . While retaining the original charm and character.The Living room has beautiful tiles and hosts a Stereo CD System, LCD TV, DVD, and Cable. DSL WIFI High Speed wireless is Setup for internet use. The dining table accommodates 4 persons. The Kitchen is fully equipped with a refrigerator ,freezer ,microwave,4 Element stove, toaster,coffee/tea maker, plus cookware. The bathroom is Equipped with all new amenities with modern elegant features. It Features a bathtub/shower, toilet, sink,towel, warmer, washer, hair Dryer plus luxurious towels. There is a large closet near the door entry
for storage of luggage and large items. The apartment is equipped with fresh linens, blankets, duvets and pillows.

The location is 660 Massachusetts Avenue Boston, MA 02118, USA

The lease Is $700 per month and additional $700 for Security deposit, which is Refundable during your departure. And you are entitled to all the Utilities and services like water,heat oven, elevator , washing Machine,dryer, gas cooker,micro-wave, dishwasher ,Internet charges, Electricity bill and others. I am confidently assuring you that you will be more than satisfied when you come into the apartment.

Another one:
My international passport has been attached for you to see the exactly person that you are dealing with and to known that you are not transacting with wrong person. i will want you to provide some information for me if you want to rent this room, i will need your exact arrival date and your departure date, also i ll need your current address so that if it warrant to forward the key to the room or any document to you before your arrival to my apartment, i will also like you to get me a copy of your scanned passport photograph to assure your identification or if you don't have you can scan a copy of your photo shot to let me know who am dealing with,your full name is very important also when our lawyer wants to prepare your lease agreement document.

Finally, you are meant to pay the owner of the apartment who is my brother the first month rent and security deposit fee before the keys and other documents can be release to you,this is due to the recent behavior of some roommates who will booked for room and the room will be reserved for them but only to later not turn up,i will like to be assured that am dealing with a genuine roommate who is willing and ready to rent our room. The deposit of the payment room is to be sent to my brother in his state via bank account deposit because is the most safe and secured payment and we both need to protect each other,my brother is the rightful owner of the apartment and as far as he is not in my state now, i have to rent out his room and make sure he get his money. Am doing all these because the apartment is vacant and there is nobody to share and talk with. By doing this will allow me to fully reserve the room for you till you arrive and also i will need you
to provide your payment receipt as a reference that you have truly sent payment to him.

The signed contract agreement form will be attached to you through mail for you to read and understand,after which you will proceed with the payment ,the document must be sign and bring along with you when you are moving in. Thanks for your understanding.

She refused to give me her phone number, but in the end she gave me this number: 949-264-351

Thank you for your reply your information have been forwarded to our family lawyer and your lease contract agreement document will be forwarded to you as soon as is ready.
I want you to be rest assure that you are safe and secure with the apartment that you want to rent with us,I cannot give my phone number now to you untill I confirm that you are genuine roommate this is because me and my brother was scam with a lot of money through this recently.
If you really want my room like you,ve promise I have reserve it for two of you and when your lease document is ready I will forward it to you so that both of you can get it sign and send it back to me together with your payment receipt.

This is the last email. I RECOMMEND TO SEARCH EVERY PHOTO THROUGH GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH

Good luck and be careful with who you trust!
#201126 by Bryon Williams Sun May 11, 2014 2:44 pm
[email protected] Same emails as above.

Originating IP: 93.186.23.113
Originating ISP: Research In Motion Uk Limited
City: n/a
Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#201553 by omicronalpha Wed May 14, 2014 10:07 pm
The next email conversation:

This is the rental agreement form attached to you, i want you to read it because this is what will constitute the basis for our contract, after reading this and you are okay with the terms and conditions then you can proceed with the payment of the first month rent and the security deposit ($1400) which must be received by brother,so that i can fully secure the place for you till your arrival date, because i have many other people that wants this apartment like i told you but i must confess that my mind choose you because you have all i wanted in a roommate as you have described yourself to me (honesty and trustworthy). Please make payment available to the bank account information provided by my brother below not later than 48hrs of receiving this agreement form via bank transfer with the following information:

Bank Name: Wells Fargo Bank
Bank Address: 666 Walnut St.
Des Moines IOWA 50309.
Name on Account: Victor Goodwin
Checking Account #: 1229992969
Banks Routing #: 073000228
Bank Account Noted (BW)

Let me have the copy of the scanned receipt of the transaction after sending the payment ($1400) and your copy of your signature on the document. The reason why am sending the money direct to him is because i want him to have that background trust in me that i will never spend his own share of the apartment,i have promised him that i will make sure he get his money whenever i have roommate that will stay with me, i want to be honest and trustworthy to him like i always do.Sorry that am sharing my family issue with you i just want to be open minded to you since you've promise to be my roommate.

Let me hear from you as soon as the payment is made and hope to see you soon....
#205024 by RPBoud2001 Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:34 am
I am so happy I did some research and found these posting about the Goodwins!

I came across a House For Rent on the Zillow site. I requested more information and received an email. I sensed something was awry and now I can see that I was very much correct! There is NO WAY a home this size in the neighborhood listed would rent for that amount. "Victor Goodwin" does have my full name, email address, and phone number. What concerns should I have? Is there an agency I should report this fraud to? If anyone can offer some advice, I would be very grateful.

Here is the email from "Victor Goodwin" on 6/8/14:

Renovation <[email protected]>

8:38 PM (3 hours ago)

to lynleyy
Hello,

Thanks for your interest regarding my house, I want to rent out this house because we are going to spend more time here in Des Moines, Iowa. My family and I will be here for about 3 years due to my health conditions.

Let me start by introducing myself, I am hearing impaired and I must confess that am very new in this landlord business. However I own the house located at 5846 Gleneagles Cir, San Jose, CA 95138, 3bed, 3 full, 1 partial, 2,990 sq ft Single-Family Home. The initial plan was to sell the house but sometimes the realtor inflates the prices and it takes longer to sell, also since the market is still weak we decided to hold off the sale because of this reason we are renting out the house to a responsible tenant that can take very good care of the property as we are not after money but want it to be clean and tidy at all time.

Pet is allow as long as it's well behave and not destructive. Meanwhile the rent is $1200 and the security deposit is $700 which the total move in cost $1900. Here is my number to text me on (949) 264-3521 because of my hearing condition, ( as I am hearing impaired) I can't answer calls so feel free to contact me via email/text for further information.

Take Note: You can only drive by the house and view from the exterior also the neighborhood, then get back with your rental application form fill out properly if you will like to proceed.

Address: 5846 Gleneagles Cir, San Jose, CA 95138

FEATURES : Laundry, Electric Range, Electric Heat, Master Bedroom, Playground, Car Park.
AMENITIES: Air Conditioning, Patio/Party Deck, Cable TV, Ceiling Fans, 24 hours Internet service, Dishwasher,
Fire-pit, Garbage Disposal, Microwave, security alarm, Pets Friendly, Refrigerator, Washer/Dryer. All Utilities are included in the rent $1200.

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED THEN I WANT YOU TO FILL THIS RENTAL APPLICATION FORM BELOW:

Name (First name/ Middle name/Surname ) : __________?
Phone numbers (home,cell and office line ) # :__________?
E-mail :__________?
Best time to text :__________?
Marital Status:__________?
How many proposed occupants :__________?
List all in addition to yourself including approx age :__________?
Present Address :__________?
City/State :__________?
Will you have pets :__________?
Please describe Breed, size :__________?
Personality of pet :__________?
Preferred move in date :__________?
Intended length of lease:__________?
Do you agree to pay the payment before you move in:__________?
Earliest possible date of deposit payment:__________?
Length of previous tenancy :__________?
Present occupation :__________?
Do you have a good credit check ?
Do you work late night :__________?
Do you smoke :__________?
Do you drink :__________?
Send your picture or family picture?

Regards
Victor Goodwin
(949) 264-3521
6 Attachments
[Image]