Room for Rent and other rental scams
#204190 by Siebe Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:47 am
Dear ,

The viewing procedure using a rental agency called ( Lugene Properties Limited : http://www.lugene-properties.co.uk ) involves 3 parties : me as the home owner , you as the prospective tenant and the Lugene Properties Limited as a licensed third party responsible for good development of the transaction.

I have already signed a contract to use their services. They can take care about the viewing, keys delivery, payment, and they are offering assistance and protection for both, landlords and tenants. Hopefully this will be feasible for you.

If you decide to proceed with this rental transaction, I will have to contact the Lugene Properties Limited and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away (keys and legal documents). I will need your: Full Name and Address for that. You will receive a notification from them shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow.

The rental company will ask a security deposit ( 1 month rent + rental guarantee : EUR 425 + EUR 425 ) . This will be a guarantee that they will not send an agent all the way to Belgium for nothing and you have the money available to rent the apartment . The deposit will be only a temporary guarantee and will not obligate you to rent the property.

The keys and rental contract will be delivered to your address. You will be given a 5-days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home.

If you decide to rent the apartment, then you will have to sign the contract so I can receive the payment from the Lugene Properties Limited . If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will have to send the keys/contract back through the same service and you will receive a full refund. I think this is more than fair for both of us and it is good to know that you do have this second option available.

If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment, please provide me your Full Name and Address and also a phone number (mobile if possible), so I can initiate the process through the Lugene Properties Limited right away.
I'm really sorry but I cannot give you the apartment number because I have signed the contract with this agency and they don't allow me.

Best Regards,
Calton Michael Matthew
11 Barkston Gardens,
London,
SW5 0ER,
United Kingdom
+44 771 908 5842

While searching for an appartment in Belgium, I found this really nice and cheap appartment... But the deal was almost too good to be true.
I first contacted this person at [email protected], but the next day I recieved an e-mail from a "Calton Michael Matthew". This seemed odd, but I still wanted to know whether or not it was a real thing. He first introduced himself like this:

Hallo,
Mijn naam is Calton Michael Matthew en ik ontving uw e-mail van belang zijn voor de huur van mijn woning in: Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 83 , 9000 Gent
Ik ben een research engineer voor een farmaceutisch bedrijf en ik kocht het pand tijdens het werken op een contract van 2 jaar in België als alternatief voor huren. Ik ben de enige eigenaar, is het pand volledig betaald en zonder juridische problemen. Het pand is niet bewoond sinds ik niet meer in België.

He's stating that he's a research engineer for a pharmaceutical company and that he bought the house while working with a contract of 2 years, in Belgium. At the end of the e-mail, I was asked if it was possible to reply in English.

Still very odd, but I was not sure if I was dealing with a scammer or not, so I stayed in touch with him.
After a few e-mails back and forth, he sent me this e-mail, which is first quoted, which was just weird. Depositing one month rent plus another €425,-? No, no, that was way too expensive to send a pair of stupid keys, I figured. So I googled this "agency" and found a topic about it, on this site. After looking into Rental scams, I found dozens of sites with the same lay-out and 'procedure'.
Looks like "Lugene Properties" has a few friends out there.
Example: http://www.europe-property.eu/ - http://www.remax-lettings.com/index/index.html

Please, if you're in the same situation as I was, do not reply to that person anymore.
I'm hoping I can prevent people from getting scammed this way.
Advertisement

#204221 by Mike Wilson Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:03 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Siebe,
I am glad that you discovered the scam before you lost any money to these criminals. Any landlord that offers to ship the keys and a contract without first meeting you in person is a scammer
Thanks for your post and all of the sites that you listed are in the process of being reported for fraud.
If you have any additional questions about this scam please ask.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#204303 by jonasL Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:44 am
I have the same problem. I didn't realy believed it. because it was good to be true. and the way to do it. that's why I search his name and the company he is working with.( Lugene Properties Limited : www.lugene-properties.co.uk )

Calton Michael Matthew
11 Barkston Gardens,
London,
SW5 0ER,
United Kingdom
+44 771 908 5842

Sow the website its all fack?
#204307 by AlanJones Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:49 am
Don't tell him you know it is a scam - it will just help him improve his methods for future victims.

Just delete his mails and don't reply.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#204348 by jonasL Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:30 am
Dear Jonas,

The viewing procedure using a rental agency called ( Lugene Properties Limited :http://www.lugene-properties.co.uk) involves 3 parties : me as the home owner , you as the prospective tenant and the Lugene Properties Limited as a licensed third party responsible for good development of the transaction.

I have already signed a contract to use their services. They can take care about the viewing, keys delivery, payment, and they are offering assistance and protection for both, landlords and tenants. Hopefully this will be feasible for you.

If you decide to proceed with this rental transaction, I will have to contact the Lugene Properties Limited and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away (keys and legal documents). I will need your: Full Name and Address for that. You will receive a notification from them shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow.

The keys and rental contract will be delivered to your address. You will be given a 5-days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home.

If you decide to rent the apartment, then you will have to sign the contract so I can receive the payment from the Lugene Properties Limited . If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will have to send the keys/contract back through the same service and you will receive a full refund. I think this is more than fair for both of us and it is good to know that you do have this second option available. The move in cost in total is 1 month rent + rental guarantee ( bond ) . EUR:450 + EUR:450 = EUR:900 .

If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment, please provide me your Full Name and Address and also a phone number (mobile if possible), so I can initiate the process through the Lugene Properties Limited right away.

I also want to confirm that I won't get any money until you view the apartment and decide to rent it.

Best Regards,
Calton Michael Matthew
11 Barkston Gardens,
London,
SW5 0ER,
United Kingdom
+44 771 908 5842
#204349 by jonasL Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:34 am
I just want to show that i had totally the same mail like you. I hope also that I can protect others of this.

jonasL wrote:Dear <removed for privacy >MW

The viewing procedure using a rental agency called ( Lugene Properties Limited :http://www.lugene-properties.co.uk) involves 3 parties : me as the home owner , you as the prospective tenant and the Lugene Properties Limited as a licensed third party responsible for good development of the transaction.

If you decide to rent the apartment, then you will have to sign the contract so I can receive the payment from the Lugene Properties Limited . If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will have to send the keys/contract back through the same service and you will receive a full refund. I think this is more than fair for both of us and it is good to know that you do have this second option available. The move in cost in total is 1 month rent + rental guarantee ( bond ) . EUR:450 + EUR:450 = EUR:900 .

I also want to confirm that I won't get any money until you view the apartment and decide to rent it.

Best Regards,
Calton Michael Matthew
11 Barkston Gardens,
London,
SW5 0ER,
United Kingdom
+44 771 908 5842
#212308 by cello_fanny Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:22 pm
Hello,
I just have received the same procedure coming from Matthew Calton. He has just changed the name of his fake company. Now it is : Noteworthy Properties Limited : http://www.noteworthy-properties.co.uk .

I was surprised by the rent, it was too cheap and the pictures where too beautiful... :shock:

Thank you for your website. Hopefully I had the good reflex : to verify on internet !

His new address is :

Matthew Calton
17 Barkston Gardens,
London,
SW5 0ER,
United Kingdom
+44 751 465 0620

Take care !
#212324 by Mike Wilson Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:43 pm
Hello cello_fanny
Thanks for posting the information on the new website. If you have any additional questions about this scam please ask.

The website is in the process of being reported for fraud.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon