Room for Rent and other rental scams
#206669 by kayla 246810 Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:17 am
he just got me today same pictures of him . different house interior pictures here is the whole conversation
hello my name is M
i am interested in the available apartment i saw the ad on Craigslist and i was wondering if i may see some pictures of the apartment? and what is needed to be able to be considered to rent the apartment? as far as paperwork and if there is anything else we should know about it i have a two year old son and a fiance we are in need of a good place to stay and would greatly appreciate the opportunity :) as of right now we are no longer permitted to stay at our temporary living situation we just moved here from North Carolina and we are just starting out we do not have any credit started but my fiance does have a very sturdy and reliable job that does bring in income . so please let me know thank you :)

sincerely m
paul Chisholm

1:41 AM (22 hours ago)

to me
Hello M

Thanks for your interest in my apartment. My name is Paul Chisholm. I am a Geologist and my work can be quite tedious because it involves mineral researches, I'm easy going and friendly. I like Music and have deep interests in traveling. I respect every religion and love to hang around with people and I am definitely not a trouble maker and very helpful in nature. So I want you to know that we relocated to SOUTH CAROLINA. I tried to look for an agent that I could give the document & the keys before I left to ( SOUTH CAROLINA ) for my UNICEF program but could not find any as a matter of urgency. And I don't want home misused in my absence that is why I took the keys and documents along with me..due to my new research and I will be here for long that is why am looking for a clean and responsible person to live in my apartment. The apartment is located: 2748 Antelope Ln, Santa Rosa, CA 95407

We left behind some Facilities and electronics which include the rent: Its a spacious and lovely 1-bedroom apartment suite with the kitchen well equipped with (Microwave oven, Dish washer, Blender, Cocktail mixer, Sandwich maker and Gas cooker e.t.c), all utilities included such as Cable and Internet e.t.c

Rental fees : $750 Per month including utilities

The rent is made very affordable because I am seriously looking for a clean and reliable person to take care of the apartment. I am not after the money, what I am after is the welfare of my apartment. I will like you to drive by to the address today to view the exterior of the building for you to get a better view of the building and also see what the neighborhood looks like and get back to me so that I can forward you the full interior pictures to you to have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the application form.

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

thank you so much i can appreciate the work you do i myself am a rock collector :) yes we will check out the location today and let you know what we think we do have two cats they are treated as family and are home trained would that be an issue? is the property a house or an apartment? and what is the plan for the residence would the agreement be long term or temporary housing situation ? please let us know :)

Thanks for getting back to me, i want you to know that the apartment is ready for short and long term rent, Attached are the interior pictures for you to have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks, I will like you to get back to me with your final decision after viewing the interior pictures, So if you are interested in proceeding with the rental application. Below is the application form for you to fill out and get back to me so that we can proceed to the next step.

*******RENT APPLICATION FORM*******

(Private & Confidential)
Also, Please let me get these answers.
FIRST NAME:__________
MIDDLE NAME:__________
LAST NAME:__________
(CELL)PHONE__________
(HOME)PHONE__________
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________
PRESENT ADDRESS: _____________________
CITY: _______________
STATE:______________
ZIP CODE: ____________
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? ____________
HOW MANY MONTH RENT ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY UPFRONT_________
DO YOU HAVE PET _________
KIND OF PETS: _____________
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE ______________
DO YOU DRINK ______________

I ______CERTIFY that answers given herein are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I authorize investigation of all statements contained in this application for tenant screening as may be necessary in arriving at a tenant decision. I understand that the landlord may terminate any rental agreement entered into for any misrepresentation made above. I want you to make sure the present address is not mistaken because that's where the keys and documents will be ship to. Please all this transaction is based on Trust & Honesty and again I want you to stick to your words,I am putting everything into Gods hand, So please do not let me down in this property of mine and God bless you more as you do this.

I look forward to hearing from you ASAP.
Regards.

we think the place is very beautiful as you said it would be. we would like to move forward :) to the next step in the process please ? we have to be out of the place we are in now in 30 days or less so we would like to move in that time frame but if that is to soon we could maybe arrange a different plan :) hope to hear from you and again thank you so so much

sincerely M

Hello M

Congratulations!!! Your application form as been approved. I really appreciate your willingness in renting my place and i promise you that you will never regret taking my place. I have taken time to go over your application form and i am so impressed and can't stop having the feeling that my place will be well kept by you as promised, and more so something came to my mind and i felt it'll be better to discuss it with you. Well i'm sure i'll have you wondering what it is.. Anyways its not something scary or that serious, i just wanted to know if you could provide me with one or a couple of your picture so as for me to have an idea who my new tenant is and how you look like (no offense). I'm willing to keep this as a means of recognition pending the time we'll meet as this will even make it easier for me to quickly identify you by the time i come for a visit in the nearest future.

The total cost for you to move into the apartment is $1,500. $750 for rent and $750 for the damage deposit which is refundable at the end of the lease if nothing is damaged in the apartment. I would be sending the apartment key's and documents to you via EXPRESS SERVICE to the address you filled in the application form and the shipment tracking number will be emailed to you so that you can track it to know the exact time the package will be delivered to you the next day.. Below are the document I will be shipping to you once i have received the payment from you. To make payment you should look for the nearest Western Union local agent in a Grocery/Walmart store near you and make payment to the information below.

Here are the contents of the document.
1)Entrance and The Rooms Keys
2)The Apartment Documentary File.
3)Payment Receipt.
4)A Copy Of The Lease Agreement Form

I will like you to go ahead and send the payment to my wife information via Western Union.

Receiver's Name: Kim Chisholm
Address: 37 Crescent Ave
City: Charleston
State: SC
Zip code: 29407

Kindly get back to me with the below information as soon as you send the money via Western Union.

Sender's Name:
Sender's Address:
Mtcn # (10 Digit):
Amount Sent: $

Once I receive the payment confirmation from you, I will get the keys shipped to you through Courier service {Overnight Delivery} and the shipment tracking number will be emailed to you so that you can know the exact time the package will be delivered to you so that you can move in at your own convenience time.

Regards.

ok, So i will like you to tell me when you will be making the payment so you can receive the Keys and document ASAP.

hello Paul i am a little confused the neighbors said this house is not for rent or sale and you are not who you say you are so please clarify this all for me because if this doesn't go through my family will be homeless we have no place to go and im already stressed and with the intestine disease i have that is not a good thing so please reassure me that you are real and so is the offer . what UNICEF program did you say you are involved with and what website can i go to to verify this my fiancee said we cannot sent money until we are sure you are who you say you are please reassure us thank you . my family has been through enough. ok so if your not for real it will be very disappointing .

m

Hello M

Glad to read from you once again and i quite understand your plight.I want you to know that I am a christian "BORN AGAIN" to be precise and to ripped someone off his/her money is a sin for me and i cannot do such a thing.I know it is very hard to believe or trust someone over the internet because of the scams around now and had it been i am in your shoes i will do anything within my reach to protect myself not to fall a victim and i know how hard for someone to earn a $ nowadays because the money doesn't come easily like that and that is why i make it fair in putting the apartment rent for $1,500 for someone to be able to afford every month.

I would have shipped out the package containing the keys and the documents prior to payment but due to what happened to me last year in which i sent the keys to a burglar and loose properties worth of $6450 in putting the apartment back to its place that is why i don't deal with a third party and even intend sending the keys to anyone and i hope you understand my situation.

Please, I will like to tell you that i can send you the a copy of the Residential Lease Agreement which i have approved and signed you as my new tenant to the apartment for you to sign to know that i will be definitely going to be renting the apartment to you....I will really like you to trust me over this and am still assuring you that there will be no problem with your moving in as the package will get shipped and delivered to you at your door step in 24 hours by the shipment agent once your payment is confirmed.

Awaiting Your Prompt Response.

Regards

if it wasn't for the pics put up here i probably would have wired money to him i found him on Craigslist it was my first time using the site .. so i am thankful i found this site
:)
Advertisement

#207666 by giintaipei Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:03 pm
I just got exactly the same stuff but for this e-mail [email protected]
and the same phone number (415) 935-5823

The following is all our conversation

Hello XXX,

Thanks for your interest in my apartment. My name is John Briggs. I am a Geologist and my work can be quite tedious because it involves mineral researches, I'm easy going and friendly. I like Music and have deep interests in traveling. I respect every religion and love to hang around with people and I am definitely not a trouble maker and very helpful in nature. So I want you to know that we relocated to New York. I tried to look for an agent that I could give the document & the keys before I left to ( New York, NY ) for my UNICEF program but could not find any as a matter of urgency. And I don't want home misused in my absence that is why I took the keys and documents along with me..due to my new research and I will be here for long that is why am looking for a clean and responsible person to live in my apartment. The apartment is located: 1819 Hillside Dr, Burlingame, CA 94010

We left behind some Facilities and electronics which include the rent: Its a spacious and lovely 1-bedroom apartment suite with the kitchen well equipped with (Microwave oven, Dish washer, Blender, Cocktail mixer, Sandwich maker and Gas cooker e.t.c), all utilities included such as Cable and Internet e.t.c

The rent is made very affordable because I am seriously looking for a clean and reliable person to take care of the apartment. I am not after the money, what I am after is the welfare of my apartment. I will like you to drive by to the address today to view the exterior of the building for you to get a better view of the building and also see what the neighborhood looks like and get back to me so that I can forward you the full interior pictures to you to have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the application form.

Regards

Hello XXX,

Thanks for getting back to me, i want you to know that the apartment is ready for short and long term rent, Attached are the interior pictures for you to have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks, I will like you to get back to me with your final decision after viewing the interior pictures, So if you are interested in proceeding with the rental application. Below is the application form for you to fill out and get back to me so that we can proceed to the next step.

*******RENT APPLICATION FORM*******

(Private & Confidential)
Also, Please let me get these answers.
FIRST NAME:__________
MIDDLE NAME:__________
LAST NAME:__________
(CELL)PHONE__________
(HOME)PHONE__________
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________
PRESENT ADDRESS: _____________________
CITY: _______________
STATE:______________
ZIP CODE: ____________
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? ____________
HOW MANY MONTH RENT ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY UPFRONT_________
DO YOU HAVE PET _________
KIND OF PETS: _____________
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE ______________
DO YOU DRINK ______________

I ______CERTIFY that answers given herein are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I authorize investigation of all statements contained in this application for tenant screening as may be necessary in arriving at a tenant decision. I understand that the landlord may terminate any rental agreement entered into for any misrepresentation made above. I want you to make sure the present address is not mistaken because that's where the keys and documents will be ship to. Please all this transaction is based on Trust & Honesty and again I want you to stick to your words,I am putting everything into Gods hand, So please do not let me down in this property of mine and God bless you more as you do this.

I look forward to hearing from you ASAP.
Regards.

Hello XXX,

Congratulations!!! Your application form as been approved. I really appreciate your willingness in renting my place and i promise you that you will never regret taking my place. I have taken time to go over your application form and i am so impressed and can't stop having the feeling that my place will be well kept by you as promised, and more so something came to my mind and i felt it'll be better to discuss it with you. Well i'm sure i'll have you wondering what it is.. Anyways its not something scary or that serious, i just wanted to know if you could provide me with one or a couple of your picture so as for me to have an idea who my new tenant is and how you look like (no offense). I'm willing to keep this as a means of recognition pending the time we'll meet as this will even make it easier for me to quickly identify you by the time i come for a visit in the nearest future.

The total cost for you to move into the apartment is $1,500. $750 for rent and $750 for the damage deposit which is refundable at the end of the lease if nothing is damaged in the apartment. I would be sending the apartment key's and documents to you via EXPRESS SERVICE to the address you filled in the application form and the shipment tracking number will be emailed to you so that you can track it to know the exact time the package will be delivered to you the next day.. Below are the document I will be shipping to you once i have received the payment from you. You can make the payment via my wife bank information below.

Here are the contents of the document.
1)Entrance and The Rooms Keys
2)The Apartment Documentary File.
3)Payment Receipt.
4)A Copy Of The Lease Agreement Form

I will like you to go ahead and make the payment to my wife information.

Bank Name - WELLS FARGO BANK
Account name - MEGAN BRIGGS
Account Number - 6939272461
Routing Number - 121000248
Bank branch- acadia California

Bank Account Noted (BW)

Once I receive the payment confirmation from you, I will get the keys shipped to you through Courier service {Overnight Delivery} and the shipment tracking number will be emailed to you so that you can know the exact time the package will be delivered to you so that you can move in at your own convenience time.

Regards.

These are the photos that he sent to me.
http://ppt.cc/y1cY
http://ppt.cc/L-8a
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotations.
#224416 by 123Hopeful Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:52 pm
This is exactly what happened to me too. Same email body wording (name was Steven Mandigo) and same responses when I asked about verifying his information. The phone number was the same too: 415-935-5823.

After a lot of wresting back and forth he said he talked to his lawyer and that he would send me the keys before I made a decision. Which sounds great, right?
Then today he called me and said that the shipping courier required a $200 insurance fee that would be refunded when I receive the keys. I asked to speak with the courier, and he said he had left the office already. Then I told him I would wait, or he could call me back when he is shipping it. So after some shuffling a man came on the phone with a French accent. I asked him which courier he was with and he went on about the insurance process, which sounded very scripted. I asked to talk to 'Steven' again. I told him I was sorry, but I am just not comfortable with the situation, and he hung up on me! That was the ultimate 'caught' moment.
Live and learn!

Luckily I didn't send any money! I googled the phone number after he hung up on me and found this thread. THANK GOODNESS!
So disappointing when you put your trust in someone and they fail horribly!!
#224418 by Bryon Williams Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:01 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners 123Hopeful,

I am happy you avoided the scam. Some African countries speaks French.

Please post the email address he used this time.

If you can not physically go into the Apt with the Landlord consider it a scam.

If you have further questions just ask.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#227647 by SylviaR Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:45 pm
This ad is running on Craigslist SF BayArea as of Nov 16, 2014 This is the reply to my contacting this person. A couple of things about his grammar and excessive explanation got on my radar. SO glad I found this site to check it out. His information below:

craigslist 4763878069
[email protected]
Hello Xxxxxx,

Thanks for your interest in my apartment. My name is Williams Mandigo. I am a Geologist and my work can be quite tedious because it involves mineral researches, I'm easy going and friendly. I like Music and have deep interests in traveling. I respect every religion and love to hang around with people and I am definitely not a trouble maker and very helpful in nature. So I want you to know that we relocated to NY. I tried to look for an agent that I could give the document & the keys before I left to ( New York ) for my UNICEF program but could not find any as a matter of urgency. And I don't want home misused in my absence that is why I took the keys and documents along with me..due to my new research and I will be here for long that is why am looking for a clean and responsible person to live in my apartment. The apartment is located: 1819 Hillside Dr, Burlingame, CA 94010

Regards
#227648 by Bryon Williams Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:52 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners SylviaR,

Thank you for the update.

Do not pay in advance for a rental that you can not see the inside of and have not met the agent/landlord face to face.

If you have further question feel free to ask.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#292878 by excineribus Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:30 pm
SylviaR wrote:This ad is running on Craigslist SF BayArea as of Nov 16, 2014 This is the reply to my contacting this person. A couple of things about his grammar and excessive explanation got on my radar. SO glad I found this site to check it out. His information below:

Just like to update: He's back on Craigslist SF Bay Area as of 4/23/2016. Word for word text is the same.

Currently using the name and e-mail: Ava Haggins <[email protected]>

I haven't gotten far enough to see if it's still the same phone number, and I doubt I will. Thanks for the warnings, all!