Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#188420 by Mumbles Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:55 pm
Thanx for your report. Where did the package come from? What is the real name of the company or person?

Everything is unknown. This could be stolen property that is being sold anonymously.

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well ...”

Martin Luther King Jr.
Advertisement

#188424 by ZeroMorality Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:14 pm
This website is fraudulent. They are purchasing items with stolen cards and shipping to innocent buyers.
They will run with your money and stolen items will be sent to you under your name as if you are the one that purchased the items with a stolen card.

It's not worth the risk so if you have gotten items through them, I would suggest trying to get your money back before it's too late and to return any items that you have gotten.
Last edited by ZeroMorality on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#188427 by qwerty0000 Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 pm
**UPDATE** I got to looking at the packing slip and the ordered was filled by Best Buy. For the return address on the package it also has a Best Buy address with Best Buy promotion slips. There is not marking for electronichotdeal.com. Again I will say the package is everything it was expecting. Maybe the site is a was for business to liquidate merch. I dont know. But thought I would inform.
#188428 by AlanJones Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:55 pm
What did you pay for your item qwerty0000?

Best buy have it for $499.98 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/marantz-300 ... 8862382887 and I can't see any reason for them to be liquidating items that they're still selling at a normal price.

My worry would be that Electronic Hot Deal have taken your legitimate PayPal payment and have then used a stolen credit card to buy your goods for you.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#188437 by AlanJones Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:29 pm
I can't see any legitimate reason for best buy to be still selling them for $500 on their website and then flogging them to another company that has only been around less than a month and clearly lies about who they are for a price so low that they can be sold on for $100 less than retail. nd if they did - Best Buy wouldn't be shipping the items,m they'd have transferred them to the other company to ship in their own name.

I still stick with my thought that it was bought from Best Buy with a stolen card and by the time it is discovered, the scammers will have disappeared and you will be left looking like you ordered with the card.

If I was you, I would get in touch with Best Buy and find out how it was ordered and paid for (i.e. was it ordered as if you were ordering - or through this third party).

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#188441 by qwerty0000 Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:45 pm
I have to agree with you. After doing more research I found a forum that might confirm this idea. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9975051 This website says that it is a trianglulation fraud, where legit payments are accepted but are paid using stolen credit cards. Going to call Best Buy to see if we can correct this misdoing.
#188449 by Dotti Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:42 pm
Unfortunately, this particular scam is getting increasingly popular.
We encountered a set of sites doing the same thing a few months ago.

To clarify to some of the readers who may not understand what we are talking about, this is what happens:

1) Criminals buy, phish, or hack to get credit card numbers from a large number of innocent people.
2) They set up a fake website, offering real merchandise for sale. They typically copy photos and descriptions from legitimate sites. They set their prices to less than retail.
3) They set up their website to accept paypal, and start taking orders.
4) When an order comes in, the criminals use a STOLEN credit card to order the item from the legitimate site. They have the order delivered directly from the legitimate seller to the buyer.
5) The criminals take the paypal cash. The innocent person who placed the order on their fake site has just helped them to succressfully turn a stolen credit card into cash.

In many cases, the innocent buyer receives the item, everything seems fine, and they never suspect something is wrong. But in other cases, things go a bit awry. Here are some of the things that can (and do) happen:
-the scammers use a credit card that has already been flagged for fraud, and the legitimate seller refuses the order. In this case, the buyer ends up with no item at all. If he places enough pressure on the criminals, they might try again with a new stolen credit card. Eventually, though, they won't bother and the buyer will have to go the paypal complaint route. At that point, the number of complaints posted about the site usually increases significantly, as more and more buyers find themselves with no item (or the wrong item.)
-The owner of the credit card identifies the loss and the bank decides to investigate. In this case, the buyer can find himself in a serious mess, as he has just received stolen merchandise. The buyer may find himself under investigation, and depending on the circumstaces, he could end up facing criminal charges. The scammers, who are using fake details, are nowhere to be found.
-The theft is investigated, and even though no charges are filed, the buyer ends up blacklisted when it comes to getting credit.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#188472 by Bryon Williams Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:10 pm
Received stolen merchandise directly from bestbuy???

How can anybody be in trouble for that?

If you did so. Please let us know after the Police interview if you have computer access. Also the merchandise may be seized. You will be out your money and stolen merchandise.

In this crime that is posted. You will also be interviewed on who used the stolen credit card. Could it be you??? How did you obtain it???

Lesser crimes would be possession of stolen property, obtaining property by false pretense and larceny.

Each State will have their own Statute. If applicable the Federal Codes may apply.

Even if you are not charged or convicted your legal bill could be far more than the cheap stolen property cost you.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#188479 by Bryon Williams Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:09 pm
^^^It will be when the real owner of the credit card reports the fraud. The Credit Card company will recall the funding to Best Buy. Best Buy will be the victim. They will be the one without compensation for their merchandise.

We can go back and forth all day and I will not do it. Advice has been given you can listen or go on your own. Its up to you.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#188480 by Dotti Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 pm
@Dedave:

To put it simply: Best Buy shipped the merchandise because it initially appeared the payment is legitimate. They will ultimately find out that the payment is not legitimate. Merchandise purchased with a stolen credit card is considered STOLEN.

When the credit card owner reports the theft, if an investigation is launched, the trail will lead to YOU. The order was placed in your name and the merchandise was delivered to you. YOU will be the one who has to prove you did not use the stolen credit card, and if the authorities have reason to believe that you suspected (or reasonably should have suspected) that the merchandise you received was obtained fraudulently but you accepted and kept it anyway, YOU can actually be charged. Mules are arrested every day, despite their claims that they did not know what they were doing.

As Bryon said, you will make your own decision. But we are still going to make the information here very clear so that others are not led astray into making unwise decisions.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#188481 by dedave Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:36 pm
qwerty0000 wrote:I have to agree with you. After doing more research I found a forum that might confirm this idea. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9975051 This website says that it is a trianglulation fraud, where legit payments are accepted but are paid using stolen credit cards. Going to call Best Buy to see if we can correct this misdoing.

That is the question, how to make it right, and not be out money.
Looks like stuff is being done, yesterdays article
http://www.theday.com/article/20140121/ ... 930/-1/BIZ