Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#5969 by paddlebash Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:54 pm
Not sure where to go from here. I was contacted by a "buyers agent" to purchase my car listed online. They sent me a cashiers check and want me to wire via Western Union money for the frieght and shipper. I got a call today asking if I recieved the check. I told him yes, but my dog chewed it up! He said I was a bad businessman.... Told him to send me another... Where do I go from here??
Advertisement

#5970 by Crispy Duck Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:28 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners, paddlebash :D

Whatever you do, do NOT deposit the check! You could tell your Bank that it is from a scammmer (they may be interested in it) & take the check - plus the package it arrived in - to your Postal Inspection service (if you are in the US).
Also, you may contact your local Law Enforcement (although I doubt if they will be too interested) but if asked by the scammer, tell him your Bank has told you it is fake & stop ALL contact with the scammer.
Again, do not deposit the check into your account! If it is a stolen or fraudulent check, you could well end up in trouble with your Bank & maybe with the law for fraud.
#5973 by paddlebash Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:27 pm
Thanks, I didn't plan on cashing it though. I would like to see him caught and prosecuted. Thought it was pretty bold of him to call my cell, (although it came through as "restricted"). Figured I'd give him the run around until I knew what to do. Maybe burn up some of his time, I googled the shippers name in Marritta Ga and it led me to the 419 eater site.
#5975 by Ralph Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:23 pm
Hi Paddlebash

Welcome to Scamwarners,

When you are now doing is called "scambaiting" scambaiting is fun and does waste scammers resources but it is not without dangers if not done safely.

The 419eater site you found has some very good members who will teach you to bait safe as well as show you a few tricks to cause them some extra "inconvenience"

Getting them arrested is not impossible but it is not likely either so dont get your hopes up on that, in this case, he has your real address I presume so drop it for now and learn to bait safely before continueing.