HAVE QUESTIONS? - ASK FOR HELP HERE -

Have you received an email you aren't sure about? Are you currently corresponding with someone you suspect is a scammer? Do you have questions about a scam? Post here for answers and advice.
#61925 by pip2127 Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:35 am
Hello all,

I've heard of the #9-0 long distance scam, but another one has come up involving calls to/from 1-800 toll free numbers. You are asked to press 1 to speak with customer service, or to have your name removed from the call list, or some such thing. I've often heard that those who them come on line try to extract personal information, but another variant is that by pressing "1" you authorize them to charge their long distance calls to your account.

This seems a bit far fetched to me - urban legend?

Many thanks!

#61932 by began steele Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:54 am
IT'S NOT SO MUCH SO. It is known that these reconnects can go to a premium rate number that costs an obscene amount per minute. You will wait minutes to talk to someone, or spend time waiting or pressing further numbers while you get a $100 phone bill. As in spam mail there is a small statement saying email back to be removed from the list. Actually that message is a lie, it is a request to show you have an active email box and then a further avalache will follow. I don't know if it is a scam as such, but it is a trap for the unwary

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
George Orwell.
#61938 by pip2127 Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:02 am
Thanks for your reply - but that just allows them to charge your bill for the call, it doesn't allow them to bill FUTURE calls of THEIRS to your account, is that not right?
#61943 by began steele Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:18 am
I can't answer that last one but I wouldn't be at all surprised!

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
George Orwell.
#62024 by Katharina Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:34 am
I've read somewhere that this way, they change the settings of your phone, and all your future calls will be re-routed via their expensive number.