Information on romance scams and scammers.
Advertisement

#74490 by Dotti Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:52 pm
That information alone is enough to tell me he is a scammer.

1) Real American soldiers do not need to ask women they met online for money. They are able to access their bank accounts, they don't pay for leave, and their food and housing are provided for them.

2) American soldiers are not stationed in Lagos, Nigeria.

The person in contact with you is a young Nigerian man who is pretending to be an American soldier in an attempt to steal your money.

Please post this scammer's email address, and a couple of his early emails to you, and we can separate him into his own topic to alert other potential victims.

The name alone would be enough to tell me he is an African scammer, because it shows that he does not understand American names.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#74508 by Teex29 Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:00 am
trin75 wrote:he says he is stationed in largos nigeria and is an american soldier but doesnt sound american and keeps asking for money help plse !!!!!

Scammer Scammer Scammer and SCAMMER there is NO Military base in Nigeria accent and Begging no more needs to be said cut this scammer off and block his lying begging As*
Last edited by Bubbles on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotes for clarity.

If You Don't Stand For Something Then you Will Fall For Anything.

Not Sure Who You Are Talking To Spokeo.Com do a people search on them.

US Military servicemembers DO NOT NEED your money for any reason they have access to their own money at all times.
#74526 by trin75 Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:17 am
thank you all for your replies i feel so stupid for faling for this i did get abit supicious when he wouldnt go on cam then asked for money was telling me things that were different all the time his birthday age family how do i get an image of him up on here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#74538 by Justin Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:13 am
Hello trin75!

Please do not feel stupid just more educated on romance scammers now. I'm sure you will be more cautious now.

This will tell you how to post the pictures he sent you. Remember the pictures are not him he just stole them off the internet.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219

#74558 by trin75 Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:06 pm
HELP !!!!!! he has been in contact with me saying this is all a lie and someone is using his pics and that it really is him
#74559 by Justin Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:36 pm
He is a scammer and scammers lie. He's not going to just give up after you confront him and admit he's a scammer. He is just going to produce more lies. Just stop all communication block his email address and chats. I am 100% sure he is a scammer. It's just a matter of time before he would ask you to send money for leave, a sat phone or get his treasures he found in Sadam's palace out of the country.

#74560 by trin75 Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:08 pm
are there any troops in a place called kano ??????
#74561 by Justin Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:27 pm
There are US troops going to Nigeria to assist the government with dealing with terrorist. The person you are in contact with is not a US soldier. He is using this to try and manipulate you into believing he is real. He is not who he says he is though.

This is a good article to read on the US Army's website http://www.army.mil/article/36242/cid-w ... nce-scams/

Soldiers are not spending their time looking for romantic relationships on the Internet.

I can tell your not wanting to accept what we are telling you and clinging on to false hope he is real. We deal with these scammers and particularly this type of scam on a daily basis and we are 100% sure your dealing with a scammer. Please stop all communications. Your just pitting yourself at more risk of loosing money and causing yourself emotional damage continuing.

#74564 by Dotti Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:44 pm
He is manipulating you.

The only thing he has told you that is real is that he is in Nigeria, and that's because he is actually Nigerian! His claim of being stationed in Nigeria was only one small piece of the information that tells us he is a scammer.

Everything else, from beginning to end, has been nothing but a series of lies. As long as you remain in contact with him, he will continue to make up new lies until he gets you to believe again. That is what these scammers do. DO NOT LET HIM DO IT. Do not argue or debate with him. Do not try to get him to admit the truth. Even if he "confesses" he will tell you more lies.

Online "relationships" are nothing more than a business to a scammer. He approaches hundreds of women using fake names and fake information. He copies romantic quotes and poetry, and feeds them sad stories of his fake life. When he finds a woman who he thinks he can convince to send money, or he has already convinced to send money, he will try to keep the "relationship" going as long as possible so he can get the most money possible. The fact that you are asking these questions suggests that you still want to believe him (which is natural). But he knows you want to believe him, and it is encouraging him to keep making up new stories hoping he'll find one you believe.

Incidentally, I alluded to the name but didn't mention it before. Mavis is a woman's name, not a man's name. The scammer doesn't know the difference, because he doesn't know American names. That alone is enough to tell me he is lying.

You need to drop him like a hot potato. Block him from your chat, filter his emails to trash, and do NOT accept any calls from him. He will not stop trying until he knows and accepts that there is no way he is going to get your money.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#74574 by Teex29 Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:35 pm
Typo I am sorry I meant there is No Us Military base in Nigeria and agree with everyone else this is a Scammer and his home is Nigeria he is An AFRICAN and a Scammer as someone mentioned earlier he is after your money this is what he does for a living he is a beggar US Military members will not need to beg you for money for any reason they have access to their money at all times no matter where they are I know because My Husband is a US Service Member.

If You Don't Stand For Something Then you Will Fall For Anything.

Not Sure Who You Are Talking To Spokeo.Com do a people search on them.

US Military servicemembers DO NOT NEED your money for any reason they have access to their own money at all times.
#74584 by Helen Halper Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:53 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners, trin75!
I've been checking in and out of this thread periodically since you posted yesterday evening. It looks like you've gone through an emotional roller coaster in the past twenty three hours. You were suspicious, googled, and arrived at Scamwarners. You posted a very brief first message :

does anyone know a sgt (1)
mavis winston (2)
he says he is stationed in largos nigeria(3)
and is an american soldier but doesnt sound american and keeps asking for money (4)
help plse !!!!!

(1) When I read the 1st five words I knew that it was a scammer, the army/sgt + romance scam is very popular these days

(2) The name mavis winston told me scam scam scam. As Dorothy pointed out, Mavis is a woman's name. That's a common scammer mistake and something that a person (of a certain age?) from North America would pick up on right away, but it's probably not a name that you're familiar with in your country.

(3) stationed in Nigeria - scammer

(4) scammer,liar, thief, criminal

You were told that he's a scammer and there's no doubt. We always advise victims to stop all communication with the scammer immediately, because as soon as the scammer knows that he is being doubted, and is in danger of losing the chance to steal more money, the scammer will start telling even more lies. This is what is happening here. Everything that this sgt mavis winston has told you is a lie. He wants to steal more money. There will always be one more thing that he needs money for and he won't quit until you are completely broke and can't borrow any more cash from anywhere or anyone to send to him. He doesn't love you and doesn't even think of you as a person. You are only a source of money to him. All the replies here have given you true honest answers and advice. Everything that you've been told here is the truth. Everything that sgt mavis winston has told you is a lie.

Please read this thread, I'm sure that a lot of it is familiar:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6528

I'm sorry that you've been scammed. I understand that it's hard to face the truth. We are here to help.

#74625 by trin75 Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:56 am
this is the message he sent me this morning

Message Body

Hello darling, how was your night over there, hope you dream about me?..I just woke up and come online to chat with you.... I just want to let you know that, the love I have for you is undying. It is a love that is strong and enduring and will stand the best of time. I truly feel blessed that you have become a part of my life, and I cannot wait for the day that we can join our lives together. I want to lie next to you at night and fall asleep in your arms. I want to wake to your beautiful smile. I want to share in your joys and sorrows. I want to be your everything, because you are everything to me.

I promise to always love you and always hold you in my heart. I will always be here for you when you need me, and I will love you no matter what life brings us. You are my soul mate, and I vow to love you all eternity. I love you, baby.

Let's work together, trust each other, honor each other, respect each other, be faithful in our love for each other and we can conquer all that life throws our way.

You are my future and nothing can ever keep us from our destiny. Im really looking forward till when we will some day finally get to meet face to face and give you the true hug, affection and love that you deserve.....

Yours,

Mavis.....xxxxxx