Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#81919 by ExileTLS Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 pm
I am about to sell something to someone in nigeria. So far she gave me her address, her email, her name, and has agreed to pay the price plus shipping. she gave me her phone number which has a 44 country code but i can't call it because i can't call internationally. She has also agreed for me to send her an invoice via paypal instead of me giving her my paypal email. Please any advice would help as soon as possible.
Last edited by ExileTLS on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#81927 by Arnold Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:00 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners.
While the majority of Nigerians are honest, you do have to treat transactions like this as almost certainly fraudulent. 44 is the UK country code, so I can see no reason for anyone in Nigeria to be using it. It isn't a 4470 number is it?

#81935 by Justin Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:25 pm
Hello ExileTLS!

Yes this is a SCAM! In fact there was a very similar post to yours made by someone else yesterday. I'm assuming you are selling something on a site like craigslist or gumtree. How it works is once you send the scammer your paypal email address you get a fake paypal email saying you have a payment waiting from the "buyer". You are either instructed to send the shipping money via Western Union or told to ship the item and send tracking before the payment is released to your account. The emails are fake and a lot of the time pretty good fakes with fancy HTML programing and hot linked images to the real paypal site. Since the scammer did not really send any money he makes off with the shipping money or you item and sometimes both.

Paypal does not do escrow services like this. All transactions are done imeadietly. Paypal would also never tell you to use western union as both of these companies are in the business of transferring money and would not send you to a competitor.

Transactions on sites like gumtree and craigslist are meant to only be done in person with cash in hand. Anything else is a scam.

Justin

#82032 by Joseph Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:17 am
Nigerian's don't have a paypal or have trouble getting them.........
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongns ... f-nigeria/

West Africans mostly use liberty reserve due to how hard paypal has made it to get an account. Good for paypal less problems in the long haul. Also the +4470 number = redirect number. Not the scammers personal phone so I would ditch this person as they are going to scam you.

- Joseph Kovacs
仁義