Information on romance scams and scammers.
#171640 by Dotti Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:08 pm
It IS a usual and standard threat, so don't let him get to you. He knows you don't believe in his "romance" any more, so he is trying to use fear to steal more of your money. This is why we say to completely ignore the scammer.

As for facebook, many scammers have set up fake profiles. You and your daughters can block his phony facebook profile from your pages. That will stop him from being able to contact them or you. Make sure your daughter's privacy settings limit most of her items to friends, and that she doesn't accept friend requests from strangers, and that avenue will be closed to him. That is just good practice with facebook anyway.

Plus the threat about contacting my work, i had told him many times that i do not have a job.

All that does is show you that his threats are pointless as he has no idea what he is talking about. He can't even keep his victims straight.

Plus the time at which he sent the email is wrong as he NEVER used to send them at the time he did no matter what?

He knows you are no longer falling for his lies so he isn't making the effort to be consistent any more.

Whoever told you not to answer and behave this have gone by this wrong

Nothing special here--he's been scamming long enough that he knows that EVERY major agency (police, anti-scam groups, US military) tells victims to stop answering their scammer. It's no special knowledge.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
Advertisement

#171643 by Painful Truth Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:29 pm
lildogs3, in regards to your question about free e-mail addresses...

hotmail.com and gmail.com are free e-mail providers. And so it the [usa.com] from which you are receiving phony mails. Military personnel's e-mails end with [mil], by the way.

I honestly doubt your scamster will waste time making any of his idle threats true. That costs him time, time he could otherwise spend scamming, and he can't affors to do it.
#171646 by began steele Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:57 pm
Interesting few facts from the scammer. Sickle cell anaemia is a genetic disease affecting mainly black people. It does not suddenly arrive and is eminently treatable so while not cured, children have reasonable lives. It would seem that the scammer is basing his experience on what goes on in Africa but we shall gloss over most of this.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#171670 by Lildogs3 Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:43 am
Hey Began Steele, He said that she had inherited it from her mother who died while giving birth to the daughter due to the disease. With you saying it mainly occurs in black people it would kinda be a rare find if 2 people in one family of white people would have it.

Thanks again Dotti, he did become like this everytime i said no to giving him things but not to this extent so that is why it has kind of shocked and scared me with his threats.

I never had even mentioned to him ever about scams or people who tell you to stop communicating so it is kinda funny when he jumps to this conclusion that i have contacted a scam website :laugh-s:

When i first met him, i didnt have a job, throughout communications, still no job, even now i dont have a job so how is he gonna contact my work and ask about me? Funny how he said that.

Just asking should i keep the email address until he has stopped trying to communicate with me or deactivate it which would make his emails bounce back? Might just keep it to keep an eye on things but NOT reply as i dont think that a yahoo email address has a device function like he said that he has gotten that would tell you if someone has seen your message that was sent. That has only been seen in facebook messenger so far by me and not in emails from yahoo...

Thanks all you have made one family have their minds put at ease, we just have to work on our reactions from reading his emails when he tries to contact us :wink:
#171671 by Bryon Williams Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 am
@Lildogs3,

In my personal opinion I think it would be best to cancel your email address that he has and open a new one. This way you will not have to deal with him and the constant reminders of him when he send emails. I know this will be hard but it is part of the closure process.

I still would like to see you post his fake name, email address and the pictures he has used. You can really help other women avoid him by doing this. I surely know his future victims/targets will be grateful to your warning and experience.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#171690 by jolly_roger Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:05 am
re: Just asking should i keep the email address until he has stopped trying to communicate with me or deactivate it which would make his emails bounce back?

Sometimes scammers pass on a targets email address to other scammers. De-activating the current address would be a good idea because it's easy enough to create another e-mail address. That way it's given the flick and this saga can stay behind you so to speak. Whilst you're at it, maybe create two email addresses whereby one is the main contact only known by family, friends and people you trust. Then the other address can be used for everything else. If un-desirable types do make contact via e-mail, your main email address is protected. Just a thought...
#172025 by Lildogs3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:36 pm
Hello all, it was quite for a couple of days then i recieved and email which said that he had checked with and I.T. thing and has seen that i have been looking at his emails but not replying. I didnt think that was possible with yahoo email addresses?

He tried calling me once on the weekend but i had no reception so my phone hung up on him :lol:
This morning though he has tried calling 3 times and i have ignored all 3. i then begun to recieve emails from him saying you have not replied, he will try and contact my 2 daughters on facebook and if they dont reply he knows that i really mean this silent attitude towards him. He also said that he knows my school email and my ex and his partners email and will contact them. I never gave him any contact details of any of those. I just recently got a friend request on facebook for an army soldier called David Ryan Rogers. I deleted straight away though.

On friday he sent an email saying
"You have not replied, wait your time 6pm tonight and it will happen, i will show you what i can do."

Nothing happened....

I never said this before but he had asked for a photo of me before of a private area. This was very early on when i was quite shattered by the seperation so i sent 2. He is now using these photos to threaten me to reply. for example i just recieved this email:

I will start with your family
then your childrens friends
Your friends
Their freinds
Then where you work (ps people i still dont have a job so dont know how he is going to do this)
Then dating sites like meet me
I will do this until you reply to me

He always replies with a 1
This has made me and my daughters very scared all again.
I am asking is this normal for scammers like this to become very aggressive and HOW LONG DOES THIS ATTEMPT TO CONTACT ME LAST!!
Please i might deactivate my emails but i dont want to lose them as i want to keep on seeing what he is planning to do if he follows through with the threats which i am told he would not. I never would of thought that if he were an actual US army soldier that he would get this threatening am i right. Also all the times he has tried calling me today it would be 3:00am his time. I wouldnt think that an Army soldier would be able to use an army barracks satellite phone at that time in the morning? The more i hear his voice the less it sounds like someone who has apparently been living in USA all his life

Please help
#172026 by Lildogs3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:16 pm
Please still answer my above post, but when i went onto my facebook and my daughter went onto hers we found something interesting. The first profile that he had made we went to block him, in the search engine another name popped up which dropped his first name and only used the middle name and last name. What was really interesting was that he had posted all the same photos (and some new ones i havent seen before) that he had sent me but what was even MORE interesting was the fact that he told me he lived in one city/state but on this profile he now lives in a completely different state and the town he apparntly lives in he spelt wrong and it is the same as his first name that he had removed in this second profile.

This points it even more towards a really good scammer doesnt it?
#172027 by Dotti Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:56 pm
The more i hear his voice the less it sounds like someone who has apparently been living in USA all his life

He is NOT an American soldier. There was never any doubt about this.
He is not even American.
He is a young African man, most likely from Nigeria or Ghana, though he may be from Ivory Coast or another country.

Unfortunately, your scenario is not uncommon. It is so common, in fact, that we talk about it in the general information here: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18484 I strongly recommend you read it.

It is very common for African scammers to get very aggressive and threatening. Most of us who bait scammers have been threatened with death many times. We use fake information so that the scammers couldn't find us anyway, but it's quite obvious that the scammers never even try to show up on our fake doorsteps, as they never even figure out they aren't real.

Can he track whether you opened the emails? The short answer is yes, if he is using the right tool. It's actually pretty easy to do and requires no hacking skills. I will not mention specifics here because I don't want to educate other scammers who might find this. It also matters if you have inline images loading automatically. (If you don't then he can't check it.) But it's also very possible that he is just assuming that you opened them. In the end it doesn't really matter because it does not impact what you should do.

The most important thing is that you do NOT try to negotiate or give into any of his demands. If you do, he will know he has power over you, which is the LAST thing you want. He may promise to delete the photos, but his promises are worth absolutely nothing. If you give into his demands, he will then tell you that you have to send more and more.

Regarding the facebook profiles: scammers often create multiple profiles and/or change the names and locations of their fictional characters after a victim finds them out. They do this in case the victim posts warnings about them, so that they can claim they are not the scammer mentioned in the warning.

Given the current circumstances, I believe it is probably good that you wait a bit to post the scammer's name, etc. But I would like to make sure your scammer gets some "special" attention. So could you please pm or email me the name the scammer is using, his email address, and a link to his facebook profile?

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#172029 by Lildogs3 Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:32 pm
Thanks for the reply dotti.
When i recieved the friend request for the David Ryan Roberts guy on facebook i think i had seen his name before on a scam website so i ignored it immediately.

He has tried to call a number of times (3 times this morning) but they all come up with private number and i know no one who calls me in private so i ignore them all. He would then immediately email me saying
"you dont even want to pick my call"
i really hate how bad his grammar is....

He had made this new profile in June roughly, this was just after i said i was going to leave him and cease contact which is when the money and blackmail threats began.

Also how long would you think that he would try to contact me as just like the question in the link you had sent me i have found myself (and so has my daughter) waiting for a call or email from him. My daughter dreads it as she is easily scared and defensive with threats to her family.

As i said before i never would think that a real US soldier would be so aggressive and use blackmail.

So should i deactivate the emails i used to contact him or leave it be and just look at it occasionally?
#172031 by vonpaso xlura Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:53 pm
Just ignore his email. Filter them to trash if you can.

His grammar is bad because his first language is some basal Niger-Congo language and he may have had no formal training in writing English. If your first language is English and you had to give a speech in Pintupi, could you convince the Pintupis that you're one of them?

These scammers use false names to keep from getting caught. If he were to go to your place to carry out the threat, he'd have to get on a plane or a ship to travel to another continent and produce a passport with his real name and face. He's not going to do that.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#172045 by Lildogs3 Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:34 am
Hey dotti

I sent the pm through to you hope it went through all right.

I'm just amazed at all the free time he has now to try to email and call me on my mobile, didnt think army life while serving overseas would allow their soldiers to stay up until early hours in the morning and use satellite phones :D
#172053 by jolly_roger Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:10 am
Sad to hear this is dragging on and on L. Dotti and von have summed it up really well whereby the scammer knows the silly game is up. The stupid plonker has become desperate because it knows you won't be ripped off. Obviously as you now can see, they sometimes resort to intimidation. You need to get your skates on yesterday, race into a phone shop and ask the shop staff about blocking overseas incoming calls. I'm sure they will help you.
The scammer is carrying on and on and on because it's trying to scare you. It will succeed if you let it.
As previously said, you have nothing and no cause to be worried.
I am not that insensitive to realise that it would be a worrying time for you, but in reality the dirty old scammer will not do anything to you or anyone close to you. It simply doesn't have the scope to. A scammers life is all about ripping people off, not spending money on a target for no reward.
Simply give your email address/s the flick and create another or however many you require. The email address you cancel will have no relevance anymore and mail sent to it will bounce back to a sender because it's a non existent address. I beg you, stay calm and do not become worried for any reason. The tosser is simply trying to upset you. Some scammers inhabit their internet café for long periods of time, which is what's happened here I'd suggest. A report not all that long ago stated a figure of some 82 million fake profiles on old fb which is quite staggering. So it's not a recent problem.
Whatever you do L, stay calm and don't allow the stupid tosser to upset you in any way shape or form.
As said before, you really have nothing to fear.
#172061 by Lildogs3 Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 am
Hey Jolly i went to my phone store and they said it is not possible, might try another store though as there have been a few times where the place has given wrong info. I have gotten tired now on waiting and reading his threats so tomorrow im going to deactivate the emails. If all else fails with the phone i can always get a new sim card for it with a new number, simple.

82 million :yikes: seriously havent people got better things to do rather than ruin innocent peoples lives. Sometimes sites like facebook are getting to the point where you cant tell fake and real people anymore. Its just pathetic.

Thanks again for all your support everyone
#172105 by jolly_roger Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:46 am
Hi L. Pity the phone shop you saw could not help but maybe another can? Yes that's correct in you can always place a new SIM card into your mobile. Cut the old one up with the scissors. Just take the usual precautions with your fb page etcetera. It sounds the go whereby activating another e-mail address will be a good idea, and give your old ones the flick. I would imagine one dirty scam artist will finally get the massage to bugger off.