Scams offering fake Au Pair positions
#181309 by yoghurt-lover Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:13 pm
Hello,
I am with an Au Pair Agency already and I am still searching for a family in the USA. So as I saw that a lot of Au Pairs posted their agency-number on the Facebook page of the agency to maybe find a family I thought "why not". A few days later I received a message (in Facebook) by a man called Clinton Waters, who offered me a job. I asked him to send me further information and this is what I received:

Thanks for the mail and for your interest in the job.How are you doing today?I am delighted to tell you that i am very happy to find you and my wife has approved that we employ you for the job so you might be coming to work for us as long as you have all the requirements of the job.
My wife is happy because you would be sharing the knowledge and culture of your country with our kids.
As for the Job details,I am looking for a Wonderful and Caring Au Pair/Nanny for my children.I am a structural /Civil Engineer and my wife is a Social Worker and she works with a non-governmental organisation.
Based on the nature of our Job,we are always on busy schedule and that most time puts us on the move,So i am looking for someone that is willing to stay for
3 months - 12 months or even more,all i require is someone who is Protective and is very watchful on the kids,especially my son Daniel but Jane is more quiet so you might not have an issue with her.
I have once hired an Au pair/Nanny before but she did not perform well so you should be the second Au pair/Nanny i would be employing.
Anyway,I am looking for someone who is bright,intelligent,Dedicated and ready to work not as an employee but as an a member of the family.I need your support to take care of my lovely children due to our busy schedules most of the time. I only require just someone that can show the capability to handle
this Job.All I require is some description about you maybe with a resume or any experience you might have had with children,

Terms and Conditions for the Job
Here are precisely what is required and necessary:
1.Your services would be needed for at least 10 months to 2 years or even more
2.I need someone honest,Caring,Trustworthy,Loving,Affectionate,Concerned,Understanding
and Loves children.
3.You might be of any race or color
4,You are not to indulge in any act that would have negative effect on my kids.

QUESTIONS:
1.How many Yrs of experience do you have as an Au Pair/Nanny
2.Can u cook?
3.Can u Drive? Not necessary
4.Age?
5.Experience with children?
6.Any Academic Foundations?
7,Do you have a Passport for applying for a Visa/Working permit to the
United States?
8.Are you available to move immediately all necessary traveling
arrangements requirements are met?
9,Salary payment per week is $475

Get back to me as soon as possible.

Clinton

I already followed the steps of this site to see if it is a scammer or not and also took a look at the Facebook profile. Now the thing is, that it is quite difficult for me. Cause the Facebook profile contained pictures (at least the ones I could see as a not-friend) of him, his wife and also a grandfather and two kids. There was also a post (from 2012) where he thanked for all the birthday wishes he got. So it seemed real to me, that's why I contacted him. Then I got the mail and thought that parts of it seem like a scam (the grammar, not talking much about the kids, not requiring much and especially the salary that is definitely too high for an Au Pair job), but on the other hand it's kinda personal (he adressed me with my name and asked how I was, also did this when he messaged me on Facebook).
So now I really don't know what to think and would be very thankful about another opinion!!

Added quotes for clarity -Jillian
Advertisement

#181311 by Jillian Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:28 pm
Your instincts are correct - this is a scam email. Well done recognizing it.

I picked this one phrase and Google searched it: "I need someone honest,Caring,Trustworthy,Loving,Affectionate,Concerned,Understanding
and Loves children." It shows up as part of a scam repeatedly, including another listing here at ScamWarners.
You can use this method since scammers use the same scripted emails over and over again: pick a few phrases and search them. You're also always welcome to ask us here!

Regarding the pictures and Facebook account - the pictures are of innocent people the scammer stole from online. Scammers are professional con men. He contacted you first at Facebook so set up the profile to appear legit.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#181312 by Dotti Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:30 pm
The writing tells me the author is African. The claims in the email are impossible, and do not align with the legal requirements of the au pair program.

When you say that you are with an agency already, do you mean that you have applied with an agency on the official sponsor list, and you have taken a personality profile AND were interviewed, face to face, in English, by a representative of that agency?

I ask this question because there are many fake agencies out there as well, and it concerns me that you have not been informed of some of the basic regulations regarding au pairs in the US that I would expect you to understand if you were working with a legitimate agency.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#181313 by yoghurt-lover Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:37 pm
Yes I have been interviewed etc., it is definitely not a fake agency. And I know all the requirements I just wanted to be 100% sure about it being a scam ;)
Anyway, thanks for the fast reply, that was really helpful!!
#181714 by ardjunrampal Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:49 pm
Hi, yoghurt-lover!!! Clinton Waters is really a scammer! I tell you that because I've also got the same letter from him! I mean it was the same phrases, word for word. First he wrote me on Facebook where he left his e-mail... Thank you for your message here because I wasn't sure before I've read it!!!