Scams offering fake Au Pair positions
#183905 by Lpaskell Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:22 am
I have been using several different au pair sites to try and find a job in the US, and I already found that
one I was in contact with (Deantrevor) was a scam by the help of this website, and I wondered whether this other one sounds dodgy too? She is based in Staten Island and her name is Barbara Collins, here is one of her emails:

Hello Dear Laura,

I am grateful for your positive response. Allow me to explain more about your assign duty and also about us.
At first, we reside in 117 South Ave, Staten Island, NY 10303. A nice, quite and calm city. Where we live is just about 25 mins drive from the big city of New York. I am blessed with two lovely kids namely Ashley (she is 9 years old) and James (he his 7 years old)

What you are assign to do or I say your task as a nanny are as follows.
You'll be working 5 to 6 hours a day. You are required to prepare the kids for school and take them to and from school. (that is, take them to school and later go and pick them from school in the afternoon). Care for and stimulate the children both mentally & physically, to ensure their intellectual, physical and social development. Look after their physical well being, encouraging proper use of everything - wash and bath them, help them on how to dress and undress. You are required to spend time with the child, running errands, house cleaning and light cooking is a possibility, but not really a requirement. We prefer someone who will reinforce our desire to teach our children responsibilities and do not expect to undertake the children assigned tasks but instead to find ways to encourage them to complete tasks (I mean not to spoil the kids by doing everything for them).
On weekends (Saturdays) you'll take them out to new places such as beach and other recreational places (You are fully free on Sunday).

When we want you to start and how long.
We don’t have a specific date or reference to when you can start. You can start anytime. We would like to have you for not less than two months. It would be nice if you want to stay longer, even if you want to stay for more than a year. Your happiness with us during your stay is more important.

What we plan to offer.
We will be giving you $400 per week (I hope that is enough since we will cater for your feeding. I mean you don't need to buy food from outside). You and the kids will be going for shopping once in 5weeks. We have internet facilities in the house for your use, a private room with your own bathroom. A private car for you in taking the children to and from school provided you know how to drive or willing to learn driving. Getting you a driver's license will not be a problem.

Our interest as a family.
Our interests include the zoo, doing yoga, watching soccer, water skiing, snow skiing, a walk in the park, playdates with friends, arts, literature, traveling, shopping, cinema and taking good care of our children. We love adventure, arts, traveling, soccer, literature, laughter and our wonderful children. My kids are very active wanting a partner to bounce and spin with them. I would want you convince me that you are capable of doing this job to my satisfaction. In a nutshell, we agree to be responsible for the purchase of your plane ticket. I will like to know if you have a working permit and a valid working visa that allow you work legally in Usa? I hope to read back from you soon.

Let me know what you think! Please and Thanks
Advertisement

#183906 by AlanJones Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:43 am
Hello Lpaskell,

it is a definite scam. The exact same email can be found here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50173 for a different fake family.

Please could you post the email address that the scammer is using so that others might find it.

Thanks

Alan

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#183913 by Lpaskell Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:19 am
Thanks so much Alan, I am furious at how many of these jobs posted are turning out to be scams and the lengths they will go to it is disgusting, and the use of peoples photos as their own!
So "Barbara Collins" uses this following address: [email protected]
and the so called "agent" is as follows: E-mail : [email protected]
Agent Name : Mrs Simpson (Agent)

The au pair sites allowing them on need to start regulating this because I was also in contact with Dean Trevor and he now has three different profiles on easyaupair.com each offering different weekly sums of money! I cannot believe they can be so blatant about this! I have seen the link you posted and I will add "Barbara" and her details to that too so others know.

Thanks, Laura.
#191067 by scamwatcher1234 Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:49 am
"The au pair sites allowing them on need to start regulating this" - You shouldn't blame the online Aupair sites as they are also victims and have to spend time and money on blocking and deleting the scammers who constantly register on their sites.

The only way to stop the scammers is if people stop believing their lies and stop sending them money. They take advantage of people's ignorance about visa requirements. But these days, with the Internet, there's no excuse for not getting the correct information as it's so easily available.

People continue to believe the scammers because the scammers are telling them what they want to hear. Even though it's totally false they prefer to believe what the scammers say. You can't protect people from their own stupidity. As they say - "A fool and his money are soon parted."