Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#189850 by anthonyzp Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:29 am
I just had the Katie Cooper scam as well from email address [email protected]

Script below:

Hi Anthony,
Many thanks for your response. I am 27 year old non smoker lady coming to Australia. I work as chef on cruise ship at the moment and i have limited time to surf the internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to nature of my work. Kindly make the arrangement for the total cost covering my first three months rent together with bond from 15th of Feb. I will also like you to get back to me with your full home address for me to forward it to my mover to calculate the total cost of moving my little stuffs from USA. I will be waiting to read back from you. Cheers. Katie.

Thanks to this website I discovered it was a scam though my instincts told me as well but this site proved my feelings. Thanks ScamWarners.com

Added quotation. (BW)
Advertisement

#189851 by Bryon Williams Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:36 am
Welcome to Scamwarners anthonyzp,

Thank you for updating this thread. If you have any further questions please ask.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#190158 by AlanJones Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:10 pm
thazo wrote:Another email that is used by scammers

[email protected]

Passed to me by a would be victim, this is the email the scammer sends

Thanks for your response. I am 28 year old non smoker lady coming to Australia from Singapore. I am outgoing and friendly I takes pride of my home, I am clean/tidy and trustworthy person, I will be ok with the room for 320 per weeks. I work with Northern Marine Management in Singapore,am at sea at the moment and i have limited time to surf the internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to nature of my work. I will like you to make the arrangement for the total cost covering my first three months rent together with bond. I will also like you to get back to me with the full home address so that i can forward it to my remover company in other to calculate the total cost of moving my little stuffs to Australia . I will be looking forward to read back from you..God Bless.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#190225 by sephera Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:53 am
[email protected]

Thank you for getting back to me. how long have you owned it? Can you assure me that its in good condition and that i will not be disappointed with it.
whats your asking price.

Alex Bennett

12:26 PM (7 hours ago)

to me
I Agree with the price you willing to sell it , i will be happy to paying directly into your paypal account without any delay. I would have prefer to see or inspection it but am busy, i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i will be paying you with the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).

I have a private courier agent that will come over for the pick up at your door after the payment have been made, .You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap

From mobile no. +61428465117
Sent from: Alex
Hello ,i saw your Listing on Gumtree Advert ,is it still available for Sale?.. reply to my personal email ... [email protected]

Sent from: Pitt Ben
What's the present condition and lowest price for your furniture,best way to get me is via my email ([email protected]) or (pitt.ben624 at gmail.com)
#194538 by Slievers Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:05 am
Just thought I would let everyone know that I have received a similar scam from the email address [email protected], under the name Jasmine Morgan.

I responded and accepted the offer, no mention of me having to pay a shipping company via Western Union until after they has "sent me the payment via paypal".

The email from "paypal" stated that the funds had been received and were being held by them until I paid the shipping company £90, at which point the money would be released to me.

The email also said that if I had any queries to respond directly to that email and not via phone as the details had not yet been passed on to their customer service team.

Both of the above points are what raised alarm bells with me.
#194702 by k8 selling golf Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:11 pm
I recently posted a new ad on Gumtree to sell my VW Golf, approximately a month ago.
After approximately a week, i received a messsage as previously described by other members.
The message stated they would like to buy my golf asap, wanting to confirm best price, that they would need my paypal details and they would arrange for someone to collect it within 48hrs.

After receiving this, I messaged back being polite et al, stating my best price but also asking for a mobile number for me to speak to the person directly and asking for more details about who was going to collect my car. I also asked if it was for him or if he was indeed a dealer.

Message back did not answer my questions, just (obviously frustrated and annoyed) saying did i want to sell my car or not.

I replied, definitely feeling irritated and sussing the scam, stating i was not willing to sell the car if they were not willing to provide further details etc.

I received a short message back, stating good luck with sale!!!!!

hope this helps to warn others selling their loved belongings.
k8
#195025 by Bryon Williams Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:27 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners jared77,

Thank you for posting the phone numbers and email addresses. We do need what they texted you and/or emails sent to you. This will help others if they search for the script the scammer used. Also give some proof it is scam related.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#196326 by HighburyMike Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:29 pm
Googled my situation and found this forum! Awesome! Posted a guitar on gumtree for sale about 6 hours later had a message from a kenchristi, I couldn't see a number at all or find one, but I was asked to email them at [email protected], emailed them and had the same responses as you all got, said I don't have PayPal which I don't and said I would prefer cash in hand and got this

"I want you to know that i wish i could just come and pay you the cash or send you a cashier check but i am currently offshore but i can make the payment to you through PayPal since that's the safety and secured way to send and receive money online and it's kind so simply and easy you can set up an account with them today through their website on http://www.paypal.com and once i make the payment to you can then withdraw it into your bank account. You will really love their service as it's good and try and get back to me now with the e-mail address used to set up your paypal account so i can make the payment to you as soon as possible now."

Ding, ding, ding lol I could knock these people out! thanks for having this forum active! great help, and stay safe folks!
#196327 by Bryon Williams Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:37 pm
Welcome to Scamwarner HighburyMike,

Thank you for posting the email address and script he used. This will be helpful to others.

Please feel free to post any more you receive.

#196328 by TerranceBoyce Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners HighburyMike.

The scammer can easily send out 100 messages a day, and he only needs a couple of bites to make his session in the internet cafe pay for his drinking session in the bar that night. It takes a couple of days to reel you in but he'll have victims in the pipeline coming through for him, so he won't be going thirsty.

You're his perfect 'target' because, not being familiar with Paypal, when he sends you a spoofed message (faked up to look as if it's from Paypal) telling you that your account has received payment, you won't recognise it as a fake.

Meanwhile he's set you up already to accept that he must send a collection agent round to collect the item from you and - by the way you must pay his fee by Western Union.

This bit is the really fanciful part but, you'll be in so deep you'll go ahead with it even though the proposition is preposterous. If he paid you by Paypal he could pay the collection agent too, couldn't he ? - but if he did that the scam wouldn't work.

The trick is all designed to get you to make the Western Union payment - everything else is hokum.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#197657 by drak Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:34 am
Posted an add on gumtree.com.au to sell my car. Received a message from +61 477 751 492 asking me to contact Bill Don on the email address: [email protected]. After I responded to the message, I received the following in reply:

"Thanks for the swift response...I am OK with the asking price.due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included.You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to http://www.paypal.com.au and sign up.all i really need from you is the exact details.Kindly delete the posting as am definitely buying it from you and it would be sad for me to make the payment only to be informed of the its sale.
Thanks"

After a quick search on google for the email address, I found it mentioned on scamwarners.com

Thanks guys!
#198470 by magivic Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 pm
This Richard Mikel just tried to get me word for as you have said on this site. i googled his name and there it was!. i just emailed him the following:
Thanks for wasting my time. Why do you people do this to innocent people. Do you have a conscious at all?? I hope the worst of worst comes to you and all involved in your pathetic scams!

Thanks to this site i will waist no more time with this degenerate!!
#198696 by Big verve Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:35 pm
Got a text about stuff iam selling on gumtree Ireland from jwillwoodward.com this is a scam for paypal, hope this helps someone