Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#211638 by TerranceBoyce Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:41 am
It's interesting to see the scripts used by these scammers/criminals and it's very obvious that they aren't of UK origin to judge by their language skills and their phrasing, and the fact that they appear to have adapted previous scripts without checking whether or not they make sense.

Hello,

I still got the 2009 MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS C220 CDI Sport 4dr Auto for sale at the price of £5195. The car is in excellent condition, garage kept and accident free. The mileage is real and I never had any problems with the engine. The car looks and works just perfect. I bought it from UK and it is still registered here. We live in the Northern part of United Kingdom, in a beautiful sea-side city called Thurso.
We are a nice couple of pensioners (I have 64 and my beloved wife is 63 years old) and don't use the car so often. We love to spend our time on the road but now we use to travel by plane, so a car is no more useful for us. Also we sold our house and bought a big farm here in Thurso. If you are really interested we are ready to make a trip to England and meet you personally. You can take the car for a test-drive and any kind of inspection.
Please tell us where do you live? I am sure that we will find a nice city in England to arrange a meeting, a region acceptable for us and for you in the same time. We have the faith that this can be a good deal!

P.S. I appreciate if we can continue our conversation by e-mail. The mobile signal is poor here, we have to walk over 2 miles for a good phone call.

Thank you and let me know,

Martin

A very nice touch in this mail in which the scammer/criminal offers to meet me so that I can inspect/test drive the vehicle. It helps to make it appear he has a vehicle to sell and it also tests whether or not I am a serious buyer.

Am I fooled ? :mrgreen: not for a second. Of course I'll meet him.

Hello again,

Thank you for prompt response. As I told you the car is in perfect condition and has no technical problems.It has done only 64000 miles, there are no visible scratches and no rust (corrosion). I like to keep my car in excellent condition so I don't think you will find anything wrong with it.
The car is registered in UK and has valid plate numbers. It comes with MOT and Road Tax ( valid till 12/2014). I have all the original papers including full service history.
As I already announced you we are in Thurso now (the car is here as well). If you are interested in a test-drive and a full inspection I am ready to meet you.

We can meet you next week Saturday or Sunday morning in Manchester .Let me know if you agree so I can start looking for a Hotel in the area.

Regards

Hi,

I shall discuss with my wife and I will reply later today with details about the meeting point.

Have a nice day,

Martin

Hi,

I've spoken to my wife and we can come to Manchester. We can arrive there on Friday evening so we can have our meeting on Saturday morning if this works for you.
We will book a room at the Premier Inn hotel. Address: Medlock Street, City Centre, M15 5FJ Manchester. We can meet there if it's OK with you.
Before we come to Manchester, we want to be sure that you will be there and that you have the funds available so we will not drive for nothing. There is a risk which we want to avoid. I spoke with my wife about this and we have decided to close the deal through RAC car purchase which was specially designed for this kind of situation. This is for our and your security.

If you are not aware of this program you should know that it will allow you to drive and inspect the car before paying me. You will have a 5-days inspection period to decide whether you want to keep it or not before they release the funds to me. In this time you can even run an RAC or AA inspection. I will receive the payment from RAC only if you are satisfied with it. If for any reason (it has any hidden damage or it isn't as i describe it) you reject the deal RAC will fully refund you and I will come and collect it at MY own cost. Please NOTE that RAC is not an online payment method, is just an third party service that will secure our deal, the money exchange will be done securely through the banks. You can read more about it here:
http://www.racinstructions.co.uk/buying-cars

If you like it and want to inspect it for 5 days at your place, please confirm your full name and address so I can register the sale with RAC and proceed.

Thanks,

Martin

racinstructions.co.uk is now dead.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I have notified RAC and you should receive the transaction details today or tomorrow morning. At this point the car is reserved for you. Please let me know as soon as you get the email from them.

Thanks again,
Martin

Hi,

Usually this kind of transactions are done in person but this time, due to my location, I can deliver the car only if we close the deal trough RAC protection program which was specially designed for this kind of situations. The process works something like this:
- you provide your full name and address to start the transaction; Done
- I register the sale with RAC; Done
- RAC provide further payment instructions;
- you have to deposit the amount into RAC's holding bank account;
- RAC confirm your deposit and instruct us to proceed with the delivery;
- we will deliver the car along with the V5 document, service history etc.;
- you inspect it at your local dealership and police;
- if you are satisfied, RAC will forward me your payment otherwise you are refunded on the spot.

Everything is covered by RAC , they will keep your money secured during the inspection period. This purchase protection guarantees that the car is exactly as I described it; basically, once delivered, you'll have 5 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will be refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the car in good order and decide to keep it.

Best Wishes

Hi Xxxxxx,

I have been notified by RAC that the invoice has been sent. You should check all your folders in your email, sometimes emails from RAC go into the junk or the spam folder. Have you got it? Please advise. Also let me know if you have all the funds together, are you able to proceed with the payment today or tomorrow? I have others interested and I need your confirmation asap.

Thanks,
Martin

Next message from

Rac Motoring Services <[email protected]>

Already in aa419's fake site database

http://db.aa419.org/fakebanksview.php?key=86647

http://motoringservices.us/purchases/transactions/index.php?id=594004591598736

Registrant Contact Information:
Name: Rac
Organization: RAC Motor Services
Address 1: Great Park Rd
City: Bradley Stoke
State: Bristol
Zip: BS32 4QN
Phone: +1.9755864
Email: Email Masking [email protected]

Administrative Contact Information:

Technical Contact Information:

Billing Contact Information:

Registrar Info
Name DYNADOT LLC
Status clientTransferProhibited
Important Dates
Expires On July 09, 2015
Registered On July 10, 2014
Updated On July 10, 2014
Name Servers
ns1.motoringservices.us
ns2.motoringservices.us

Website imposter already in aa419's database of fraudulent websites

http://db.aa419.org/fakebanksview.php?key=90585

The bank account

Bank Name: Barclays Bank
Account number/IBAN: 23472191
Sort Code/SWIFT: 20-29-63
Beneficiary: M T Rac
Bank Address: 43 Vanbrugh Park, London SE3 7AB

… has been reported to the authorities for involvement in attempted fraud as I will report any such bank account offered to me for a similar purpose, whether it is located in the UK or abroad.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#213011 by Ken the viking Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:52 am
Had same scam attempt although email address has changed to [email protected]. Email chain below.

On 1 Aug 2014, at 11:01, "Martin Turler" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

I still got the 2009 MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS C220 CDI Sport 4dr Auto for sale at the price of £5195. The car is in excellent condition, garage kept and accident free. The mileage is real and I never had any problems with the engine. The car looks and works just perfect. I bought it from UK and it is still registered here. We live in the Northern part of United Kingdom, in a beautiful sea-side city called Thurso.
We are a nice couple of pensioners (I have 64 and my beloved wife is 63 years old) and don't use the car so often. We love to spend our time on the road but now we use to travel by plane, so a car is no more useful for us. Also we sold our house and bought a big farm here in Thurso. If you are really interested we are ready to make a trip to England and meet you personally. You can take the car for a test-drive and any kind of inspection.
Please tell us where do you live? I am sure that we will find a nice city in England to arrange a meeting, a region acceptable for us and for you in the same time. We have the faith that this can be a good deal!

P.S. I appreciate if we can continue our conversation by e-mail. The mobile signal is poor here, we have to walk over 2 miles for a good phone call.

Martin

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 <remove to protect privacy> MW wrote:
Hi Martin

Is the car still for sale?

Is there any current / previous issues with car that I need to be aware of i.e. cat c or d damage.

I'm keen to chat with view to purchase.

Can you give me a call

, garage kept and accident free. The mileage is real and I never had any problems with the engine. The car looks and works just perfect. I bought it from UK and it is still registered here. We live in the Northern part of United Kingdom, in a beautiful sea-side city called Thurso.