Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#211647 by yansvanhorn Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:51 am
Hello,

I have been scammed :-/

Regarding:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... 1066069392

I have a full email conversation with "seller", in which he with details describes item he tries to sell (unique and rare engine from historic BMW E30 M3, show his knowledge of the topic).
He provides me with telephone number, address and account number. Living abroad (Poland) I was unable to collect the item in person, so I decided to transfer (using SWIFT) the money. Seller provided me with a gas bill to prove his address and name.
I also received image showing packed item on a pallet. I have a proof, confirming sending the money on 2014/Jul/16. During the following weekend the contact broke.

I have all the email messages with headers containing information from where he have sent them.

Transfer Details:
Attached is the original transfer confirmation document

Transfer titled: AS NEW, REBUILT BMW S14 2.3 1990 COMPLETE ENGINE AND MATCHING GETRAG 265/5 GEARBOX
Amount transferred was: 2250 GBP (agreed upon).

Data provided by the seller is:
[email protected]

Calvin Thompson
12 Willow Bnk
Cheadle Hulme
SK8 7NR
07423203981 <- telephone number

Barclays Bank
IBAN : GB20 BARC 2029 4140 0037 86
bic:BARCGB22

He also tried using:
GB97BARC2066557­3809676

Reported it to ActionFraud, Gumtree, Barclays Bank. Any other suggestions ?
Advertisement

#211661 by TerranceBoyce Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:08 am
Welcome to Scamwarners yansvanhorn.

I'm sorry to hear that you have become a victims of this organised criminal gang. There have been many victims in the UK and abroad. I have a thread here where I list daily about 100 fraudulent adverts on the Autotrader UK website and the criminals are even hacking dealer pages, so that it's even unsafe to buy from a dealer without seeing and inspecting a vehicle first. Of course this is too late and no use to you now.

If you can provide full details of the bank accounts used we can make sure that they get shut down. I regret that is little chance that you'll get your money back. I'd be interested to see the scanned copy of the bill you were sent if you can let me see a copy as it may have been used in other frauds, maybe even to open the bank account.

If you look at this thread

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87582

you'll see how a criminal handled a sale when I pretended that I was buying a car from him. I knew that he was a fraudster and all the details he gave me are detailed and I will ensure that the fraudulent web domains and the bank account he uses are shut down.

UK banks must do more to stop these bank accounts being used in fraud.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#213758 by yansvanhorn Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:37 am
I'm sorry for the late answer. These are the details of the fraudster:

Calvin Thompson
12 Willow Bnk
Cheadle Hulme
SK8 7NR

Barclays Bank
IBAN is: GB97 BARC 2066 5573 8096 76
swiftbic: BARCGB22

Also this one was used:

Barclays Bank
IBAN : GB20 BARC 2029 4140 0037 86
bic:BARCGB22
#213759 by yansvanhorn Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:49 am
I have exchanged many emails with the scammer, below is a small digest. He seemed knowledgeable...

Hi,
yes,still for sale . Everything was professionally rebuilt , it's a 1990 S14 2.3L engine .
send me your email and I will attach detailed photos !

cheers
Calvin
-----------
Hi,
genuinely sorry for the delay , I've been on a short vacation ..

the engine was professionally rebuilt . It has new valves , new engine head studs , new head gaskets , new oil pan gasket ,new oil pump chain, new timing chain, new rod bearing, new intake manifold gaskets, new exhaust gaskets.
It has a Dinan Chip so it has over 230bhp now .

See the photos and let me know ..you're welcome anytime for an inspection .
Cheers
Calvin
-----------
Yes,it comes with a refurbished clutch , meaning new pressure plate & disk but refurbished flywheel , because it was in decent condition .
The gearbox it's a 5 speed dogleg Getrag 265 , completely rebuilt , all bearings and seals have been replaced with original German parts !

The engine was tested on the bench once the guys at the garage mounted the Dinan chip and tuned it . They said it's good for up to 230-235bhp and I also got a 3 months warranty for parts and labor .
But I got it in my garage for over 7-8 months and I never installed it on the actual car , so it's still brand new !

I'm sorry but I haven't got anything lambda sensor , which is the cleaned original one , that was working perfectly .

If we're all set I'm gonna start packing everything , I have got a pallet and a crate so it should be all safe during transport . I have received it packed from the garage , I still have much of the packaging ..it will be all packed in no time .
As for the payment , perhaps you can arrange a bank transfer . Or I could take a cheque .

Cheers
Calvin
#225093 by COV61 Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:33 am
BEWARE!!! This scam is still in operation! E mail address being used at present by this crew of Scammers is - [email protected]. Same ad posted on Gumtree for 30 days(sept2014 -october2014.) I e mailed seller enquiring about sale, he replied with detailed info and pictures of engine claiming to live in Aberdeen. After numerous e mails and an agreed price of 2 grand he eventually agreed to give me his phone number once I assured him I was on way to bank to transfer funds. I immediately googled his number as by this time I knew I was being lined up to be scammed, low and behold his number appeared on SCAMWARNERS! I Mailed him back immediately and told him what I thought of him and where he could stick his E30 M3 S14 ENGINE AND GEARBOX! :oh-joy: :=) The bank details he sent were as follows
DEUTSCHE BANK
POLSKA
IBAN; PL90 1910 1048 2112 9401 34680001
swift; DEUTPLPX
Thanks to SCAMWARNERS for confirming my suspicions, I held onto my money unlike the poor bloke that got stung by these robbing B****RDS.
So Car enthusiasts BEWARE