Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#206317 by h7ster Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:10 am
I had similar idit sounds too good to be true then it often is .****

VW caravelle 2.0 BiTDI 180 4motion

Hello there,

I am glad to hear that you are interested to buy my 2010 Volkswagen CARAVELLE 4 Motion EXECUTIVE .
Although I am registered in the UK,i recently moved to Cadiz, Spain (where my family is from) and the car is being shipped from here. I want to sell it in UK due to the fact that it's an UK version (right handed),it meets all UK standards.I bought this car from UK and It still has UK registration, so you won't have to pay any import and insurance fees.The car meets all United Kingdom guidelines so there will be no problem regarding UK Customs policy on receiving the car.The car is in perfect condition, the bodywork is immaculate,no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition , never been implied in any accident and it is as advertised .The car comes with log book, HPI cleared, No finance. You will get from me the keys and all documents to register the car in your name.If the car is not how i described it, i will offer a full refund. It will be insured during transportation and will be delivered at your address in maximum 10 days. I want to inform you that, after all the offers we received today the final price for this car is 5,290 GBP (the price includes shipping to UK and insurance fees).
The price is low because the car is right hand drive in a country where all cars are left hand drive so in Spain is very difficult to drive this type of vehicle and nobody wants to buy it here in Spain.Instead of keeping it in garage (during this economical crisis), I decided to sell it to someone back in the UK for a really attractive price.
I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate,the deal will be manage by a well known company,in this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
Let me know if you need any further details or if you would like to buy my car.

Thank you

Hi there and thank you for your email. I am interested in the van but concerned on the payment. How will that work as it's a lot of money to pay without having keys. Or will it be exchanged when the vehicle arrived. ? I am interested depending on exchange details. Thank you for taking the time to read my emails.
Kind regards

Date:
Subject: Re: VW caravelle 2.0 BiTDI 180 4motion
Reply-To: Amanda Begum <[email protected]>

Hello
I understand your point of view that you can not send the funds sight unseen but you have to understand mine also that i can not just send a vehicle in the UK and hope and pray to receive my money.
I want to inform you the the car is in Spain and it will be shipped from here to UK.The shipper I will use will deliver the vehicle to your door, you don't have to pick it from the port. Shipping will take 10 days maximum.Due to the fact that i am located outside UK and we can not deal in person,i`ve contacted Google Wallet regarding this issue and they told me that they could offer to me a program that is created especially for international transactions that protects both of us.
Regarding the transaction, you will send the funds to Google Wallet and they will keep the money until you receive the vehicle and test it.In this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction. Google Wallet will hold and insure your money until receipt of the car in good condition. That is how their service is working. As far as the seller concerns, i will be glad to know that Google Wallet is in possession of the funds during the delivery period.
You will be given a 15 days inspection period from the day you receive the car at home( i will ship it to your address insured for full value to you ).
If you decide to keep the car, then you will have to authorize Google Wallet to release the funds to me, and the transaction is complete.If the vehicle is not as described ( perfect interior,exterior,mechanical condition ), you will be able to send the vehicle back through the same shipping company ( return postage at my expense ), and ask Google Wallet to return the money to you. Though i am sure you will love the car and will not want to return it, it is good to know that you do have this second option available.

If you want to read more about Google Wallet service please visit :

http://google.wallet-inconline.com/foll ... of-service

If you want to get more info about their terms and condition please contact Google Wallet using the Contact button from the web site.

I bought this car from UK and it is still registered there so you don't have to pay any import taxes or any other fees.The car comes with log book, HPI cleared, No finance. You will get from me the keys, V5 document, manuals and all documents to register the car in your name.You don't have to worry about anything.

If you want to check the car here are the reg details:

Vehicle Registration Mark (VRM) RA10MXZ
VIN (chassis number) WV2ZZZ7HZAH268121
V5 Registration Document serial number BZ5284515
V5 Registration Document issue date 06-Jan-2014
37,000 Miles

If you wish to purchase it and agree to these terms i will need you to provide your full name and address. I will then notify Google Wallet and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

I will be waiting for your reply as soon as possible

Thank you in advance!

I asked for confirmation of mileage and photo of dashboard

Hello,

The car is already at the shipping company crated in a sealed container so i can't send you more pictures.
If you are so suspicious about this transaction I would rather close this deal with other person than to know that you'll be very stressed hoping that I am a honest person, until you receive your car.Your peace of mind is a lot more important than this deal!!! I didn't ask you to send me the money,I wanted you to to send the money to Google Wallet and they will hold the money.They are the best guarantee that you get anywhere.If you decide not to go through with it there is no problem.I got quite a few offers left. Get back to me and let me know what you decide. Thank you for your time and interest.Whatever you decide I wish you good luck.
Sincerely,
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotations and split.
Advertisement

#211650 by MB Scam Hater Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 am
I've had a similar attempt and thank this group for warning of the danger - if it seems too good to be true it always most certainly is!! He claimed to be an engineer who lived in the UK and took the car back with him (BMW Z4 2010, 14k miles for £7k) but wanted to sell it as too expensive to register in Finland.
The autotrader advert was removed overnight, i told the guy i would think about it and let him know tomorrow Friday 25th July... can i pass on this live attempt of fraud to the police?? could they do anything?

the response i last received from [email protected] was:

I have bought the car in the UK, where it is registered; therefore no import taxes or any other taxes must be paid. I will notarize the bill of sale before sending the and I will ship it with it. The shipping will take 10 to 12 days.
If you would like to verify the car on autocheck or hpi, the registration number is VF10XXX and the VIN number is WBALM32000E492755
In case you would like to personally buy it here, I could wait for you 2 to 3 days. I do have a number of potential buyers; therefore I cannot wait too long.
If you want to use a third party service, I would like to use the services offered by Google - Google Payments.
This works as follows:
you would send the money to them and they would hold the funds until you get the car to your address and get to check it thoroughly (you get 15 days for testing purposes). Therefore, both I as a seller and you as a buyer will be covered.
You get 15 days of testing from the moment you receive the car (I will ship it to your home address, insured for the entire value).
Should you decide to keep it, you will authorize Google to send the payment to me and the transaction is thus completed. In case the car fails to comply with the specified terms (in perfect condition), you are allowed to send it back (return postage at my expense) and ask Google for a full refund.
Please follow the following link for further details regarding this service: http://google.co.uk/checkout/how-it-wor ... 0&continue
If you choose to use this method, please set up an account on http://google.co.uk/checkout/signup.php ... authuser=0 and send me the e-mail address used in order that I start the transaction.

Kind Regards,

Pasi Pelkonen
Chief Engineer
Energy Recovery Solutions
Euromestari A/S
Lautamiehentie 9 B 48, 01510
Vantaa, Finland
#211663 by TerranceBoyce Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 am
Welcome to Scamwarners MB Scam Hater. Thanks for taking the trouble to post the details.

I'm afraid that if you check here

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82849&start=555

you'll see my thread where I post details of anything up to 100 (and sometimes more) fraudulent adverts posted on Autotrader UK. I do it so that any potential buyer who Googles has a chance of spotting the warning and not getting scammed.

If you Google - [email protected] - the Scamwarners warning entry comes top of the Google listing.

Most online ad sites are so badly overrun with fraudulent sellers and there are so many scams no one should ever buy anything they haven't seen and inspected personally. I don't see any point in reporting what you've found, except here as a warning to others, and it's good to hear that you didn't get scammed, Many other don't realise until after they've lost their money.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#213202 by baby0207 Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:07 pm
I was on a local website called craigslist for state Maine area. I seen a listing for a truck. A lot of the same stuff was in my messages from person. The woman said she was in the airforce in Utah and was promoted and now in akaska for 3yrs. The vehicle is supposively in Utah at base, pkg and ready to be shipped. Same message as rest for the probabtion period, no money to seller until I review the car. Etc. I looked up the name. There is a person in airforce by the name. Had a phone number listed in research I done. Thought about calling her to see if its her or to inform that het name is being used in scam. Needless to say. I'm glad I did my research. The listing was taken down after I emailed about ad. Wanted to post so people knew that this scam was still going on and give more info on where its being done at :D
#213206 by TerranceBoyce Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:24 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners baby0207 and thanks for mentioning your experience.

I'd be very interested to see the wording you received, if you can copy it from the email you received, with your personal details (name and email address) removed, as this fraud is very common in the UK and it would be useful to know if they are spreading their scams to the USA. The email address they used to contact you would be handy too.

It wouldn't be hard to recognise them from the tactics and wording they use. They swamp all major ad sites in the UK and may be looking for fresh territory where their scams may not be so well known. The fact that US law enforcement is a little snappier than that in the UK seems to have stopped them getting much traction in the USA but they won't stop trying.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle