Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#142920 by RaceShotsResource Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:47 pm
I just received this email and it sounded fishy right off the bat so I Googled her email address and found this forum. Has anyone else received an email from this person lately?

hello,
pls get back to me with the full condition of this car with the final
price, i'll like to get this for my son...
i'll be looking forward to hear back from you.
Sarah.

I responded back to her email before searching her... now I will be more diligent in my responses.
Advertisement

#143007 by RaceShotsResource Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:16 pm
Just received a reply from this Scammer. Here is the email reply:

Sarah Purcell
3:14 PM (0 minutes ago)

to me
Hello Seller
Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my Son and i am a petroleum
engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want this to be a
surprise gift for my Son so i wont let him know anything about this
until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than happy
with it.I can only pay with paypal here, i will need you to give me
your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap and please
if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to
www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will
only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so
as to put the money through.tell me more about the advert price is
okay note well:
Pick up agent will come for the pick up as soon as i have made the
payments, i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i am a
petroleum engineer I work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the
rig right now due to bad weather, we can only communicate with our
base for now.
Thanks

Cheers.
#171060 by deralds Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:09 am
Got the same one...it's a scam.

Hello Seller Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my Son and i am
a petroleum engineer currently on
a rig offshore i really want this to be a surprise gift for my Son so
i wont let him know anything about this
until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than happy
with it.I can only pay with paypal
here, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can
make the payments asap and please
if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to
http://www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will
only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so
as to
put the money through.tell me more about the advert price is okay note
well: Pick up agent will come for
the pick up as soon as i have made the payments, i would have loved
to talk to you on phone but i am
a petroleum engineer I work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the
rig right now due to bad weather,
we can only communicate with our base for now.
Thanks Cheers
#174598 by landandseaciar Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:53 am
I received the same yesterday - started with a text message asking for info to be sent to "[email protected]". I texted the requested info (we have a vehicle for sale on eBay, probably where they got the phone number) and received a text back "please Kindly reply to the email [email protected] THANKS." This already sent up red flags because the info in the text would be no different than what I sent by email, but I copied and pasted into an email and sent it. (FYI, the phone number the text reply was from was 203-528-0163)

At 2:48 a.m. I received the email response several others mentioned here, about being a petroleum engineer on a rig, buying as a surprise for the son, blah blah. This only added to my suspicion, so I googled "Sarah Purcell petroleum engineer" and found this thread - glad I did.

If these people put this much effort into doing something legally productive, we'd all be better off. Thanks for taking the time to start this thread - hopefully more people will use common sense and check things out before blindly following instructions.
#181234 by swiley23 Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:53 pm
Yes, I did receive the EXACT SAME email from this person this morning! I am trying to sell a vehicle here in Michigan and got the same, word for word, email from this person trying to "buy" my vehicle. It is a good thing that I am 'clueless" on how to sell on eBay so I made a number of calls on how eBay and PaPal worked and my buddy didn't feel right about this whole thing. So, I did a Bing search on the email address "she" provided and what do you know... the first thing that came up was this site about this being a SCAM!! DO NOT fall for this! I am SOOOOO glad I did this search because I could have lost a 1985 Corvette!

ANYONE out there that receives this message:
Thanks a lot for the email. Am buying it for my son who just graduated
on top of his class in Orlando, Florida - National University, he
studied Business Law and Professional Ethics Minor and am so proud of
him . I want it as a surprise package to appreciate him towards his
achievement and to be delivered before my arrival home. I work with
SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Exploration & Production ETF and we are presently
offshore on a project, So i won't be able to come and inspect it or
call ,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.
Where is it located at the moment and why are you selling if you don't
mind my asking?. I am already in talks with the pick up agent that
will handle the pick-up and delivery.
As regards the payment, I can pay you through instant transfer using
paypal transfer service. If you don't have paypal you can set up a
paypal account proper at http://www.paypal.com and I will make the payment
through paypal, this way, all I will need to proceed with payment is
the following details :

DO NOT fall for it! There are at least 3 other postings on this site with the SAME email from this person!
#181265 by TerranceBoyce Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:09 am
Welcome to Scamwarners swiley23.

It's not the car you'll lose, though you won't make a sale. He'll send you a spoofed mail making it appear that a Paypal payment has been made in to your account, and he'll pay you more than you asked and require you pay the extra on to his imaginary collection agent by Western Union or MoneyGram. He'll send out hundreds of mails a day, so he only needs a few victims to make a good living out of it.

It's not much effort to send these messages out by running down a list of adverts and he'll spend all day doing it. There's no way to stop it other than to have people know what to watch out for, and realise that a seller should NEVER make any payment to anyone when making a sale. It sounds obvious when you think about it, but there have been many victims.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#181979 by aprilone95 Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm
I received this yesterday....Lucky I can spot the wording to know something is wrong and forwarded the email to my wiz of a brother to make sure. Thinking about reporting it to the so called company she says she works for. Wonder how they would like it. I even got three texts from a New York cell number...914-575-2729 at 5:04 est on Wednesday.

Hello Seller Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my Son and i am
a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want this to
be a surprise gift for my Son so i wont let him know anything about
this until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than
happy with it.I can only pay with paypal here, i will need you to give
me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap and
please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set
up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up
i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with
paypal so as to put the money through.tell me more about the advert
price is okay note well: Pick up agent will come for the pick up as
soon as i have made the payments, i would have loved to talk to you
on phone but i am a petroleum engineer I work mainly offshore, our
phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, we can only
communicate with our base for now Thanks Cheers.

--
hello,
pls get back to me with the full condition of this car with the final
price, i'll like to get this for my son...
i'll be looking forward to hear back from you.
Sarah.

Added quotations. (BW)
#181990 by Bryon Williams Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:26 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners aprilone95,

Thank you for updating this thread. Did the scammer use the same email address?

Everything the scammer wrote to you was a lie. She/he is not an Engineer, there is no son or rig. There will be no "Pick up agent".

The only truth to the matter is the scammer is trying to steal your money.

In this scam the scammer is NOT interested in your car. He wants to steal your money. No one will ever come to pick up the vehicle. It is all a scam with the scammer playing all roles. There is nothing to report. The scammer is using a free email address and a fake name.

The scammer wanted to send you a fake Paypal payment. He has a fake Paypal address from a free email provider. The payment would look real. Its a screen shot of a fake payment. He then will instruct you to pay a mover, shipper or agent. The fake Paypal email from the scammer would say that your Paypal funds will be released when you send the scammer (mover,agent or shipper) money via Western Union or Money Gram. In reality Paypal would never hold your funds.

Log into Paypal directly without any links to check for monies received or call Paypal directly from the number on their site.

If you are selling electronics, Cell phones or computers then the scammer is trying to steal your "item". Your fake funds will be released when you send the scammer a scan copy of a receipt showing you mailed your item.

This same scam works with fake check and money orders. You and your bank will think they are real. After you cash the fake check. Days or weeks later your bank will inform you of the fraud. Your bank will have you repay the monies. Possibly close your account for fraud and report you to Law Enforcement.

The best thing to do is to sell in person face to face in a public place.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#202440 by Jnine Wed May 21, 2014 8:29 pm
This recently happened to me. Posted a truck on eBay and received this immediately after. Same exact email
#212564 by u903764 Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:38 am
I just received a text. This scam is registered to 631-770-8363. The text read "Hello Please Kindly get back to me with the full condition and the final price of this car, get back to my email address [email protected] Thanks."

I responded with "Excellent Condition. I can let it go for $100,000"

Immediately this number replied back to with "ok Thanks so much for getting back to me am busy with work now please Kindly get back to my email address with the information thanks."
#213344 by Mike Wilson Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:19 pm
One of the messages from the fake PayPal

The email was spoofed to make it appear that the email originated from PayPal.

The email was actually sent from [email protected]

Calling PayPal Notice
Hello <removed>
Thank you for using PayPal, We want you to understand that we have choose this customer care email address to monitor the transaction between the Buyer/Seller, We want you to know that we have many people on our desk that we attend to and many may not understand the transaction, that is why we have chosen to use this email to monitor some transactions. So we will greatly appreciate if you could get back to us here.

Be informed that you are 100% safe with PayPal and you do not need to worry about anything, this transaction is only available and can only be tracked and traced via email. We are sorry that we cannot be reach via phone due to many transaction initiated everyday via PayPal, so do reply back to us if you have any question about the transaction and not via phone call.

Warning: As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service, all inquiries should be directed to us by replying to this e-mail, as it's being monitored for your transaction which is because the status of this transaction has not been passed on to our customer care phone service section. We are making changes in our phone communication.

Note the above paragraph is an attempt to keep you from calling the legitimate PayPal to keep the scam alive.

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#213970 by CandyR Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:06 pm
My boyfriend and I got this same email as everyone else that's posted. This has wasted my valuable time, and I can't believe the REAL paypal doesn't put an end to it. These postings go back a year. Think it's time to do some informing to the BBB on paypal.

I am a little confused as to what the idiots at [email protected] would have gotten out of this? Can anyone enlighten me?

CandyR