Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#259522 by Camsterguy Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:39 pm
I'll explain what my situation is after you take a look at our convo, thanks guys!
----------
I start first
----

Hi there, really interested in purchasing a used Wrangler that's ready to drive. Is the Rubicon you're selling for $2000 in good condition, or does it have extensive maintenance to be done? Yours looks like a really fun summer toy. I'll believe your word but I would like to see some more pictures just because Jeeps are cool. Thanks!

Hello ,

My name is Antonio, and I'm emailing you about 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with an gasoline engine, automatic transmission and only 69,416 miles. Never had or need any paint/body work done, garaged keep always, without any mechanical problems, tires and wheels are in great shape as well, electric is working perfectly. The engine 4.0L gas, runs very good and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly. Has a clean and clear US title in my name and there are no liens or loans on it. This Jeep has been used by my wife who died 4 month ago. The price was reduced at $2000 because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer. I need to sell the Jeep before 30 July, when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team out of the country for a year and do not want to store it. Hate to sell it but its not worth keeping insurance and paying storage fees for a year.
Here you have more pics: http://imgur.com/a/U4dgo#0
Regards,
Antonio Gomez.

Antonio, I really appreciate the reply, the Jeep is exactly what I've been looking for, and in my price range. I'll definitely be messaging you later to further any business. I wish you the best overseas!

Hi again

Right now I'm in a military base(Wichita ,KS). We are training, getting ready for leaving the country. The delivery process will be managed by me. I think I can have it there at your home address within 3 working days(for free). It will come with a clear title and reg. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 7 days testing period after delivery. During that 7 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested just email with your legal name (your right full name 'cause it will appear on the papers), full postal address where you want the vehicle delivered and your cell phone # where you can be reached so we can get the ball rolling.
Thank you,

Antonio Gomez.

-----------

In case you can't tell, I'm looking for a jeep. This '03 Rubicon he's selling is way below the average price, for only $2000. He replies awfully quickly, typing long messages that seem copy and pasted. The whole shipment thing seems fishy and I hate to sound like a dick but the dead wife and army service could be guilt trips or false ways to attract trust. If it's not a scam, what should I do or ask him to increase my safety as a buyer? Antonio Gomez has been on this site before but it might be a coincidence, what do you think? Thanks!
Advertisement

#259524 by Bryon Williams Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:46 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

It is a scam.

Ebay does not act as an Escrow service.

Please post the scammers email address/text number.

Please buy your vehicle locally where you can view it and have it inspected.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#259527 by Bryon Williams Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:54 pm
http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/purchase-protection/

Alert: Internet Vehicle Scams on Craigslist and Other Non-eBay Sites

eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection covers only certain vehicle transactions that are completed ON eBay.com. If a Craigslist or non-eBay seller 'promises' you the eBay protection plan, this is fraud and you should walk away. Learn more.
Common warning signs:

Vehicles advertised well below what it is worth may be tempting, but should be a red flag. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is.
You are unable to see the vehicle in person first or have it physically inspected prior to payment
There is an urgency to complete the sale quickly because the seller has a health or family issue, is being deployed to the military, moving out of state/country or is going through a divorce/marriage
Seller pushes to get money in advance and transferred through a fast payment method, or sent to a fake escrow account to avoid you as the buyer losing out on the deal before another buyer purchases the item first

Criminals want to lure you into feeling safe and may also disguise their websites or emails to look like they are from eBay, when they are not. View additional warning signs and examples of vehicle scams.

Additional Information More Detailed:
http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#259529 by Bryon Williams Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:59 pm
It was probably reported for scamming.

The scammer is most likely in West Africa.

Just ignore him now. There is no need to tell him why. Make him wonder where he messed up.

#289233 by poohbear12 Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:28 pm
Hi, this guy tried to scam me too, by telling me the same thing. He said he was trying to sell it so fast because he was leaving April 25th to go on deployment. The email address that he used was different from the one above though. This email address was [email protected]. This is a 100% scam!! Do not fall for his tactics!! One thing I have learned over the past few years since starting on Craigslist, is to always always google the name from someone you don't know, and are trying to purchase from on Craigslist. Anyone can gain access to any of these forums, and it is always better safe than sorry!!! The phone number he gave me on Craigslist was 4027492827; If you see this phone number on Craigslist, it is a scam and do not fall for it!!
#289244 by Bryon Williams Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:08 pm
^^ Thank you

402-749-2827 is VoIP which means it can text, call and be answered any where in the world with internet.

#325968 by pineska00 Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:59 pm
Oh boy, I got new one. This one is female...

Hello,

My name is Gloria, and I'm emailing you about Jeep Wrangler that I have for sale. It is a 97 model loaded with everything. Never had or need any paint/body work done, garaged keep always, without any mechanical problems, tires and wheels are in great shape as well, electric is working perfectly. The engine 4.0L runs very good and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly. Has a clean and clear title in my name and there are no liens or loans on it.This car was used by my husband who died 4 month ago.The price was reduced at 1500 because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer. I need to sell the car before the 4th of the next month, when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team back to Japan for a year and do not want to store my car. Hate to sell it but its not worth keeping insurance and paying storage fees for a year.Right now I'm in a military base of Army National Guard in Bel Air,MD. The vehicle is here with me at the base and the delivery process will be managed by me Also, the car is too big for my daughter so there's no use on keeping it. If you have any other questions, email me back.

Email it came from is: [email protected]
Phone# used on Craigslist: 2159149198
post id: 6100871988
https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/6100871988.html
I'm about to report it as a scam. :?