Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#6827 by Ralph Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:36 am
This is a scam that actually is after the goods you are selling, the scammer in this case will contact you on auction sites telling you he is interested in your item and he will ask how much it will cost to ship the item to Nigeria, he will then tell you that payment has been made through PayPal and then send you a fake payment notification asking you to send the goods urgently with a tracking number

It is yet another way that scammers will rip you off and i know of at least one person who has sent goods to this scammer already.

This particular scammer is /has used the following email addresses, please note that there will be many email addresses that have a different number included that I have not tried, in order for me to prove each email address is part of the scam I need to email from a new account myself to see what reply i get, which is very time consuming.
I estimate this scammer to have over 100 different email address being used for the same purpose of scamming you

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

[email protected]
Presumably sbensean(05/06/07/09 & 10)@yahoo.com
[email protected]
[email protected] added 06/02/09 and still active, no doubt some of the numbers after will follow
[email protected] added 21/02/09
[email protected] added 21/02/09
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] (presumably sandra.film2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/ as well)

[email protected] confirmed 01/03/09
[email protected] confirmed 01/03/09
[email protected]" <[email protected] Please note, "[email protected]" is the name used for the email address and not the domain
[email protected] 03\03\09
[email protected] 03\03\09
[email protected] 05/03/09
[email protected] 05/03/09
[email protected] 06/03/09
[email protected] 07/03/09

[email protected]
[email protected] 13/03/09
[email protected]
[email protected] 16/03/09
[email protected] 17/03/09
[email protected] 21/03/09
[email protected] 27/03/09
[email protected] 27/03/09
[email protected] 12/04/09
[email protected]

[email protected]
[email protected] 01/05/09
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

More email addresses added as they are found

The big problem with this scam for sellers is that every time the auction site account is reported the scammer simply creates a new email address and joins again so keeping track of the scammers movements is near impossible.

The trick to avoiding being scammed in this way is to always make sure the money is actually in your account and if you have any doubts whatsoever, ask PayPal ensuring you have asked through the actual site and not relied on a link to paypal through an email

Below are some of the emails you may recieve in relation to this scam

Hello Seller,

Thanks for your mail...all i just want to let you know is that payment has just been made through paypal,wen you receive paypal payment confirmation kindly have the itam along with you wen you are going out and have ite shipped and email back to paypal customer care with th shipment tracking number you will be given at DHL/TNT and have this email back to them for verification, i want you to have the item ship out first thing in the morning and get back to paypal : [email protected]

HERE IS POSTED ADDRESS BELOW

MR O.JOHNSON
11 EYIOWUAWI STREET
IFAKO IJAIYE AGEGE
LAGOS STATE
NIGERIA

all i just want to let you know is that i really want to buy the item so i have pay sum of xxxx gbp for the shipment cost through DHL/TNT TO NIGERIAN.

Kindly get back to me with immediately the shipment done.

This particular email comes complete with PayPal logos and look legitimate but take a closer look and you may notice some of the mistakes, i dont intend on pointing them out on the chance the scammer happen to view this post and learns how to make it more authentic looking
Payment For Your eBay Item
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Protect Your Account Info
Make sure you never provide your password to fraudulent websites.

To access the PayPal website or your account safely and securely, open a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL (https://www..paypal..com/uk/) to be sure you are on the real PayPal site.

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email..

To learn more about protecting yourself from fraud, visit the Security Centre. Click "Security Centre" at the bottom of any PayPal page

Protect Your Password
You should never give your PayPal password to anyone, including PayPal employees.

Dear ,

You have been paid for an eBay item #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details

Seller's User ID:
Seller Email:
Amount:
Postage & Packing: £xxx.00 GBP
Postal Compensation: £00.00 GBP
Total Amount:

Buyer's Name: Sandra bensean
Buyer Email: [email protected]

Beyer's User ID: sandrabensean35

Pay With PayPal

PayPal is integrated into eBay so you can pay in just a few clicks, saving you time, your purchases will be protected and giving you peace of mind:

For security purposes, PayPal is the safe, easy way to pay online. It enables you to send and receive money online without sharing your financial details.

If I have sent you a warning regarding this scam there are 2 things i ask of you;
Please post if you can add any further details to what i have compiled
Please ask questions if you have any doubts or if you are unsure about my warning

I am not expecting a quick response but lets hope my email to Ebay in regards to this scammer encourages them to provide some warnings and better measures to prevent scammers from rejoining straight after having their accounts suspended for fruad

This sent to Ebay.co.UK
I have recently become aware of a scammer who is convincing people that he has sent payment via paypal and asks them to ship the items (usually small electrical items such as computers) to Nigeria.

If you follow this link to Scamwarners viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1937&p=6827#p6827 you will see that I have compiled some information on the person doing this.

A recent IP used by the scammer is this one (86.62.25.114 Satellite Provider*)

After the seller finds they have been scammed they report the fruad to yourselves, you suspend the account and the scammer simply joins with another email address freshly created to scam more people.

I am not sure what measures you have in place to prevent this from happening but they do not seem adequate.

If you currently have no measures or warnings in place then perhaps this is something you will need to look into.

Regards
Ralph
http://www.scamwarners.com

A couple of typos fixed incase I need to send it again :wink:
Last edited by Ralph on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:23 am, edited 41 times in total.
Advertisement

#6828 by Mazzy999 Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:16 pm
Similar thing happend to a friend staying with me last week. She sold a laptop only worth a few hundred dollars. Obviously this lad is not doing very well!!

She got the paypal confirmation of payment. She wa happy, she got $50 more than expected. Luckily she was on hols with me so she couldn't post for a couple of days. The day after the sale she got an email saying the transaction was fraudulent, someone had hijacked a dormant account.

My concern is that she has already been slapped before with this scam. About a month ago she sold another cheap PC and like a godd little ebayer she sent it that day. When she found out it was a scam she phoned the PO and had the PC returned. It was about 2 hours away from being delivered to the lad.

Finally, she's understands the scale of fraud on eBay, whom she thought was so safe.

Sorry eBayer's, I think same day postage needs to be a thing of the past...At least give paypal a day to do their thing.

Your post has good info. Hopefully some unsuspecting future victim will stumble on it when needed.
#7105 by Ralph Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:48 am
Just adding a slight change to the way the scammer is now operating,

He is now trying to convince people to send money by Western Union to Paypal, the paypal he wants you to send the money to is not realy Paypal, (why would Paypal wnat you to send money by Western Union anyway) rather it is a fraudulent persona of the same scammer.

Below are some of the emails he may send you in order to convince you to send money

i just
want to let you know that paypal contacted me this morning and inform me that
you will need to paid (amount removed) gbp by western union money transfer for paypal fees
...and the money is going to be return back to you in which your money will be
(amount removed)gbp so i want you to have this funds send to the information there email to
you and get back to them with the western union information you use to send the
(amount removed)gbp so that they can use it for verification... > > i will be looking
forward to hear back from you immediately you back from western union kindly
email the information to them.

How are you doing...and your family....i am so let you know that
i have help you paid (Amount removed)gbp and i dont hear back from you ...i want you to have
the (amount removed)gbp send to them so that you can have you full payment from paypal
becuase i am not heppy right now so i dont want to lost the 100gbp i send to
them so i know that you are good to me and so that is why i have 100gbp send to
them...so i want you to have the (amount removed)gbp and email back to me so that i can know
what is going on with the transation...i will looking forward to hear back from
you soon.

just want to let you know that 100gbp has been sent to them so i want you to fine any away so send them to (amount removed)gbp so that you can have your full payment ontime because i don't like the way that you have not get your funds back so i want you to fine any way to send the (amount removed)gbp ...or do you want me to lost the 100gbp i help you to paid them.so i want you to get back to me immediately the (amount removed)gbp send to them so that i can xcall them and credited you account immiately i think if you send the them (amount removed)gbp and you have your full payment back then you can ner pay for your bill you are Owning.

kindly get back to me

In regards to my email to Ebay, they did get back to me in a timely manner to inform me that they were taking action, I have again asked them to look into this and requested they consider banning certain IP ranges that are used in these frauds.

Until something more is done, people will continue to lose money and or goods to this scammer.

Please note
If I have directed you to this information by email, please feel free to add any details that I do not have listed here, the more information that is included the harder it will be for the scammer to continue stealing from
others
Last edited by Ralph on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
#7123 by Ralph Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:17 am
Here is another example of an email you may receive from this scammer

hello my good friend
i am here by inform you that i just won you lovly item on ebay and i have fine out the shipment cost to my daughter in nigerian via royal mail sign for international delivery and it cost me 50gbp so i have pay for the item and the shipment cost to i want you to wait for receive payment confirmation from paypal so once you get this just go on with the shipment first thing tomorrow morning and email back to paypal customer care with the shipment tracking number you will be given at post office for verification
shipment address below
adelakun poju
35 idera street
oworonsoki
kosofelagos state
nigerian
kindly get back to me

This following email uses a common line for scammers, talking about trust :evil:
Thanks for your mail...all i just want to let you know is that i have paid for the shipment cost to nigeria so i want you to have the item ship to my duaghter in nigerian and email back to paypal customer care with the shipment tracking number you will be given for verification.

i am also 100% that there is nothing to be affriad in this all i just want to let you know is that besiness is all about trust.

paypal has been let me know that your funds has been approved and all u just need to do right now is to have the item ship out and email back to them with the shipment tracking number for verification.

SHIPMENT ADDRESS

adelakun poju

35 idera street
oworonsoki kosofe
lagos state
nigeria

i will be looking forward to hear back from you immediately the shipment done

The following email is apparently from Paypal an asks you for fees

We hereby inform you that your money is now ready to be credited into your paypal personal account.The payment made by our client Miss Sandra Bensean.... was £(amount removed).00 GBP plus PayPal <http://www.paypal.com/> fees of £(amount removed).00 GBP which is to be paid to our Paypal Payment Processing Department.

The money has been processed together with your £(amount removed) GBP.So we implore you to get the Paypal fees of £(amount removed).00 GBP sent through Western Union Money Transfer at any of the location to our processing department so that we can release your funds of (£(amount removed).00 GBP) into your paypal personal account.

The money should be sent through Western Union Money Transfer at any of location to below information:

First Name : Mathew
Last Name : Collins
Address : 80, Olorunsogo Avenue,Maryland.
State : Lagos state
Zip-Code : 23401

The reason why you must send the £(amount removed).00GBP charges to us is due to the fact that we have worked towards the secured and safety of the transaction.

Note: Immediately you have the money sent please contact us with the informations below:

1)Sender's First Name
2)Sender's Last Name
3)The Money Transfer Control Number(MTCN)
4)The secret Question and Answer

As soon as you sent the £(amount removed).00GBP and contact us with the information above we shall credited the £(amount removed).00 GBP into your paypal personal account without any further delay.

Thanks for your understanding,
#7617 by Ralph Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:23 am
Like most scammers, they will continue to adjust their scams to make them more effective, below is the latest format used

HI MATE,

I AM HERE BY INFORM YOU THAT PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE THROUGH PAYPAL ONLINE SO I WANT YOU TO HAVE THE ITEM TO POST OFFICE FIRST THING IN THE MORNING AND HAVE IT SEND AND EMAIL BACK TO PAYPAL CUSTOMER CARE WITH THE SHIPMENT TRACKING NUMBER,PAYPAL HAS BEEN DEBITED MY ACCOUNT AND LET ME KNOW THAT YOUR WILL BE NOTICE PAYMENT CONFIRM AND BEFORE YOUR ACCOUNT CAN BE CREDIT YOU WILL NEED TO GO ON WITH THE SHIPMENT AND EMAIL BACK TO THEM FOR VERIFY.

SHIPMENT ADDRESS

JOHNSON AA,
35 Idera Street
Oworonsoki Kosofe
Lagos- State
Nigeria

KINDLY GET BACK TO ME IMMEDIATELY THE SHIPMENT MADE.
#7675 by Ralph Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:05 am
This scammer is now trying to pretend to be from Ebay and telling those he is trying to scam that Ebay will be taking action against them if they fail to send their items to him.

The email is complete with Ebay logos and on first appearance it does look very convincing

I have pasted a copy below, please note, the below email does not include the nice logos as used by the scammer

This email came from [email protected]" <[email protected]

Dear Removed ),
For the safety and integrity of the eBay community. You were the seller of an ebay item # Removed, Removed... bought off you by our reliable customer (sandrajohn4563894333) and he has informed eBay that postage for the item has still not been done, As a result, you have received an Unposted Item strike. Furthermore, you will lost feedback privileges for this transaction if the posting of the item is not done as soon as possible. If the item is not posted within 48hrs of this warning suspension of this account will take place and be advised that you will be prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account if the item bought by (sandrajohn4563894333) has not posted as agreed.Please note that any seller fees due to eBay will immediately become due and payable.

SHIPMENT ADDRESS:

Name: Adelakun-PojuAddress:35 Idera Street,Oworonsoki KosofeCity: Lagos-StateCountry:Nigeria.Zipcode:23401 eBay will charge any amounts you have not previously disputed to the billing method currently on file.
Regards,Safeharbor Department
eBay, Inc.

Copyright ©1995-2008 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

Please, if you dont believe what is posted here, contact Ebay using a link to them while you are logged in to Ebay and not a link from an email and ask them about it.

I also ask that you please, do not tell the scammer or any of his many aliases about this :wink:
#8182 by lilylove Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:37 pm
Hi Folks- just wanted to let you know my side of things as one of these bottom-feeders hacked my Ebay account yesterday and used it to do their business :evil:

Yesterday, (March 12, 2009) while checking my email, came across a message that read:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
eBay sent this message to ****** (******).Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
MC033 A26 Account Security Notice: Restored Account - ******

Hello ****** (*******.net),Your eBay account appears to have been used without your permission to send unsolicited emails to other eBay members, including email offers to sell items outside of eBay. It doesn't appear that your account was used to list or bid on any items.We've already taken steps to secure your account. Your credit card information is stored on a secure server and cannot be seen by anyone. ***Regaining Control of Your Account***We need you to take the following steps to regain control of your account: 1. Change the password on your personal email account to verify that it is secure and can't be accessed by anyone other than you.2. Click the "Forgot your password" link on the eBay sign-in page, and change your password using the instructions provided.3. Click the "Security Center" link found at the bottom of most eBay pages. 4. Under the Protect Your Account heading, click the "Reporting Account Theft" link. Follow the instructions to finish securing your account.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After trying to log in to my Ebay account and finding my usual password invalid, I knew my account was indeed hacked. I went ahead and went through the protocol to get my account back (which needs to be much tougher FWIW) I consider myself up to snuff on all this phishing/identity theft stuff and would never knowingly give out info - I'm thinking they applied for a password change a la Palin :rolley: Luckily I am not a seller so no financial info was obtained, but by accessing my Ebay account he does now have my full name, DOB, email and physical addresses :shock:

After changing all my important passwords and reinstating my account, I was able to view the messages involving this guy. He had contacted Ebay sellers in the UK through the site’s ‘ask seller a question’ feature (even though my Ebay profile places me in the US).Firstly he asked ‘do you still have this lovely item for sale?’ or ‘Is this item in your possession?’ (well DUH- what does listing an auction mean?? I do enough to make myself look bad without this idiot’s help, thank you very much) If he got a response that indicated the seller would ship outside of the UK, he would send a message that stated:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear *********,Thanks for the mail i would love to buy this item to my Grandson as a birthday gift in west Africa..i will like you to get back to me with the total amount for the item including this shipping cost through Parcel Force to west Africa kindly get back to me with your paypal email address so that i can send out the payment as soon as possible. Pls reply me to my personal email address with the picture of the full item to view (amylen @ operamail . com)
Here is the shipping address:
Johnson Adeleye
13 Isa Street
Ijesha Surulere
Lagos 23401
Nigeria.

Thanks and Stay Bless.
******** [color=#FF0000](using my full name!!)-
Item Id: 320349008****
End time: Mar-14-09 10:25:40 PDT
Buyer:
******** (**)
100.0% Positive Feedback
Member since ***-**-** in United States

Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was active.[/color]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

So apparently I have a West African grandson folks, get the birthday cards rolling LOL

It appears on a few items (mainly laptops and Rolex watches) this person did actually use my Ebay account to purchase using the BuyItNow function (like the example above). I contacted Ebay to verify my account /feedback would not be affected by these purchases, I was assured by live chat technician Paxten that the sellers were notified and my Ebay reputation would not be tarnished. Oh thank goodness! Wouldn’t want to abandon my 17 feedback score : )

More seriously, though, my information is now floating about Nigeria and whatever connections these sorry folks use in their scam attempts. I filed a fraud report with the credit bureaus, which will prompt creditors to ask for more verifying information when the situation arises for the next 90 days, and will file local police, FBI, SSI, and FTC reports along with cautioning other financial affiliations (bank, Paypal etc.). Geesh.

Anything else I should be doing? Since he’s got my info already, I won’t be doing any game playing with him, but I encourage the professionals to do with this info what you wish :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for listening

**just saw there there may be a more appropriate forum for this post, please move it if need be**
#8185 by Arnold Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:52 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners.
I'm thinking they applied for a password change a la Palin :rolley:

As I understand it, her account was hacked because she as famous enough that the answers to the security questions could be googled for. Not a problem for most of us, although I never use real life info for those sort of questions.
Dear *********,Thanks for the mail i would love to buy this item to my Grandson as a birthday gift in west Africa..i will like you to get back to me with the total amount for the item including this shipping cost through Parcel Force to west Africa kindly get back to me with your paypal email address so that i can send out the payment as soon as possible. Pls reply me to my personal email address with the picture of the full item to

That sort of scam often refers to the "item", not what you were trying to sell. Saves having to customise the email.
amylen @ operamail . com

New to me, but it's another free webmail address. Once scammers used the more well known names such as Yahoo, but increasingly are using lesser known ones.

#8187 by lilylove Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:47 pm
Thanks Arnold and Ralph. I realized that I also got a notice of similar third party attempted access activity about a month ago from Paypal, but perhaps their security department is more astute. They restricted my account until I could verify my identity/location via snail mail (they will not via cell phone, and no land line here- Ebay, on the other hand will verify with a PIN number sent to a cell)-

As for Sarah, I don't claim to be anywhere near her level of infamy but a former street lived on may have (gasp) contributed to this mess. Didn't even think of making up an answer :oops: Lesson learned!
#8189 by Dan Jones Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:02 pm
It's good to hear ebay are on the ball and that noone should have lost any money. Lets hope they beef up security too.

Funnily enough I just opened an operamail account today. It's the Opera web browsers free web mail. It seems a bit useless really.
#8332 by Ralph Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:37 am
The scammer now has a new script for his paypal emails, the logos look much more realistic but it is the same scam

Below is the text version of the email with my fake name removed

Dear
Thank you for allowing us handle your transactions, due to the numerous amount of complains gotten from buyers that after payments has been made, they do not get their item been sent out, we have decided to place your money on Pending to the time you confirm the shipment to us and then we credit your Paypal Account immediately.
We also want to advise you that you should not provide the Buyer, Mrs Sandra Sholex with the tracking number or reference number until the money has been creditted into your Paypal Account, once you carry out the shipments, please send the tracking number to us so that we can credit your Paypal Account immediately, then you can provide it to the Buyer, Mrs Sandra Sholex.

Shipping Information Address: Adelakun Poju35 Idera Street
Oworonsoki KosofeLagos StateNigerian23401.

Address Status: Confirmed

If you can carry out the postage today, we will credit your Paypal Account immediately, once we get and confirm the shipments which would be carried out through Royal Mail International Signed For as concluded by you and the Buyer, Mrs Sandra Sholex.
Will want to inform you that if this shipment does not make today will promise you that the payment it going to cancel and your paypal account will be suspend. Thanks for your Co-operation,
Yours Sincerely,
Gene Briant.
#8365 by Ralph Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:44 am
Another quick update

I have another email used to try and convince you to send your goods

It will come to you complete with logos and pretty colours to make it look legitimate

Please trust me, it is not

Do not use the contact details from that email to contact anybody, if you would like to contact ebay or paypal, please do say using the contacts from their website and certainly not from a link in an email

SHIPMENT TRACKING NUMBER NEEDED
Dear Paypal Customer, We are pleased to let you know that your shipment has been confirmed by us.Your order has been"APPOVED" As your paypal account is yet to be credited,This is due to technical problem on our computing data base system. We are very sorry for any inconviniency that we might cause you during this process.We therefore implore you to go ahead with the shipment,has we've been notify here in PayPal Customer Care Money Processing Department that the shipment has been stopped. Moreover,we want you to know that Mrs Sandra Sholex. Master card has been charged by PayPal for an ebay item bought from you.We are do this to secured the interest of the seller and buyer against online fraudlent and as soon as we've been notify that the shipment has been approved by you, the fund will be transfer into your account and the money will reflected in your account immediately without any further delayed. Furthermore,the shipment reference number should not be sent to the buyer and it should be sent to us at [email protected] for more verification in order to credit your account. Thank you. Here is your new confirmation PayPal® Pin code :(C840-LC01-Q469-T1350) for you to know the processing of your money because we process millions of orders online, All Rigth Reserved.
Copyright© 2009 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.
#8603 by Ralph Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:17 am
Slight modification to the scam email, the below is text only, the actual email comes complete with PayPal logos

Funds in Progress Notification
Dear PayPal Customer, We are pleased to let you know that your shipment has been confirmed by us.Your order has been"APPOVED" As your paypal account is yet to be credited,This is due to technical problem on our computing data base system. We are very sorry for any inconviniency that we might cause you during this process.We therefore implore you to go ahead with the shipment,has we've been notify here in PayPal Customer Care Money Processing Department that the shipment has been stopped. Moreover,we want you to know that Mrs Sandra .... Master card has been charged by PayPal for an ebay item bought from you.We are do this to secured the interest of the seller and buyer against online fraudlent and as soon as we've been notify that the shipment has been approved by you, the fund will be transfer into your account and the money will reflected in your account immediately without any further delayed. Furthermore,the shipment reference number should not be sent to the buyer and it should be sent to us at [email protected] for more verification in order to credit your account. Shipping Information Address: Adelakun Poju35 Idera Street
Oworonsoki KosofeLagos StateNigerian23401.

Address Status: Confirmed
Here is your new confirmation PayPal® Pin code : (C840-LC01-Q469-T1350) for you to know the processing of your money because we process millions of orders online, All Rigth Reserved.
Copyright© 2009 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

Just reinforcing this email, in this email, complete with paypal logos he will try to convince his victims that heu need to pay a fee to paypal before they can pick up their money, it' another lies and desighned to steal as much from each vicyim as possible, please, dont send anything and especially money

Think about it, why would PayPal use the srvices of Western Union
Dear PayPal Customer,
We hereby inform you that your money is now ready to be credited into your paypal personal account.The payment made by our client Mrs Sandra Think.... was £removed GBP plus PayPal fees of £100.00 GBP which is to be paid to our Paypal Payment Processing Department.
The money has been processed together with your £removed GBP.So we implore you to get the Paypal fees of £100.00 GBP sent through Western Union Money Transfer at any of the location to our processing department so that we can release your funds of (£removed GBP) into your paypal personal account. The money should be sent through Western Union Money Transfer at any of location to below information:
First Name : Mathew
Last Name : Collins
Address : 80, Olorunsogo Avenue,Maryland.
State : Lagos state
Zip-Code : 23401 The reason why you must send the £100.00 GBP charges to us is due to the fact that we have worked towards the secured and safety of the transaction. Note: Immediately you have the money sent please contact us with the informations below: 1)Sender's First Name
2)Sender's Last Name
3)The Money Transfer Control Number(MTCN)
4)The secret Question and Answer
As soon as you sent the £100.00GBP and contact us with the information above we shall credited the £removed GBP into your paypal personal account without any further delay. Thanks for your understanding,
#9090 by xmas Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:20 am
Rossey Lucas responded to an item I had for sale on Craigslist asking me to send to her cousin in Nigeria and aks to pay via PayPal. Here's the email:

"Am Mrs Rossey Lucas

I like yout item that i found on Craiglist,i will like to buy from you,can you ship to my cousin store in Nigeria..do you also Receive the payment mode of paypal??

get back to me here on my mail address [email protected]"

I was asked to ship to this address:

Receiver's name -AKINSEYE SUNDAY
Home addr.-NO 23 OSUPA STREET
country-NIGERIA
state-OYO-STATE
City-OGBOMOSO
zip code-23402
phone #+2347032186311

I told her I would send a payment requesat through my PayPal account and she insisted I didn't need to. I only had 1 jersey for sale and was advertised as such on Craigslist. Here's the email:

"Hello seller,
Thanks for getting back to me here,anyway am Happy you can ship to Nigeria,my
cousin will be very happy if this is done...i will like to buy about 50 of the jersy,so get back to me withe price+the shipment fess,i don't mind if i can see some picture so that i will see what i want to Buy..
About the payment,yyou don't need to send a paypal payment Request to me Okay,just give me your paypal,Account Address then i will make Automatic payment to you through my Paypal Secured..
Thanks get back to me asap...
Rossey"

Shortly later, I received a fake PayPal emai instructing me to send the package and PayPal and Craigslist will take responsibility:

"Dear XXXX,
This message is originated from paypal company.We have receive an order from our client regarding the payment made to your paypal account.
The payment has been successfully made but due to security reason we have to receive the shipment tracking number before the next 48hour for the processing of your order.
This a new measure we are taking to protect both our sellers and buyers against fraudlent customers.
Once you have shipped the item send us the shipment tracking number for verification after the number has verify your account will be credited instantly.This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail [email protected] **PLEASE NOTE**
Once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us, You will receive a "CONFIRMATION Email" from PayPal® informing you that the Money has been credited.
Note:cragsilist and Paypal will be responsilbe for the item loss or damage once we recieve the tracking numberThank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team"

I did not know this was not legit so I sent the item and an email to above referenced address. I later figured it out but it was too late by that time. I eventually found out the fake PayPal emails were sent from [email protected]

When I confronted her she stated that she herself was scammed by a person who claimed to be an quthroized PayPal agent. She said she would pay me with her next paycheck. That was a month ago and she ddid not respond to any of emails asking for an update.
Last edited by xmas on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.