Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#66386 by bbbvito Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:36 pm
Just nearly got scammed out of 5k buying a ducati multistrada from Ebay similar thing to what i believe has happened before ,
A bike deal that was too good to be true , but because i wanted one badly i convinced my self that i had found a deal although all my instincts where telling me other. Any how this is how it went and this is what he/she sent going under the name of John Alister [email protected]
Emailed him after seeing it on ebay with a couple of questions regarding the bike

With this reply

yes in Scotland with me. Due to my location and since view is not an option I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer Protection Program. Here is how the process works:

- you give me your full name and shipping address
- I start the transaction with the eBay,
- they send further payment instructions,
- you have to pay for the item to eBay to secure the funds,
- they confirm me that they received the funds,
- I deliver the bike,
- you receive the bike,
- they send me the money.

Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the bike in good order.
Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

John
I then recieved this from a so called Ebay site (fraud one) but very convicing one

eBay sent this message to xxxxxx xxxxxx (xxxxxxxxxxxx).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay.

Your invoice for eBay purchases - DUCATI MULTISTRADA 1200 S SPORT RED 2010

Invoice for VPP Transaction Case ID #17R4W134E3 between John Alistair, as the Seller and xxxxx xxxxx, as the Buyer. Please follow our instructions to complete the transaction safely.

Seller:
Name: John Alistair
Address: 76B Strathern Road
Dundee, Angus
DD5 1PH
Scotland

Buyer:
Name: xxxxxx xxxxxxx
Address: xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
xxxxx, xxxxxxxx
XXX XXX
United Kingdom

Transaction Details:

Case ID: #17R4W134E3
Date: 09.05.2011
Item titled: DUCATI MULTISTRADA 1200 S SPORT RED 2010
Price £5,050.00
Quantity Sold: 1
Insurance: YES
Delivery: Delivery details will be provided by seller after payment.
Shipping to*: xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxx xxxx
xxxxxx xxxxxxxx
xxxx xxxxx
United Kingdom

*Please check the details for an accurate delivery in order to avoid delays.
Payment must be submitted via Bank Transfer to the eBay Financing Center Agent Bank account in charge of this transaction. The payment will be secured until the Buyer receives, inspects and accepts the vehicle. Or, if it will be the case a full refund is given to the Buyer.

eBay Financing Center Agent*:
Beneficiary: Vasile Bud
Bank Name: Barclays Bank Plc
Account no: 60690724
Sort Code:
20-29-37
City: London
United Kingdom

*The Bank Wire transfer will be sent using this name and address.
Payment:
Invoice #17R4W134E3

Subtotal: £5,050.00
Shipping(Free): £0.00

Deposit: £0.00
Total: £5,050.00
How to make the payment
Send the payment using eBay Financing Center Agent's bank account (found below) as payment details.
E-mail us*

the following payment information:
- Case ID or Invoice #
- Copy of the bank receipt
Fax* the Bank transfer payment receipt to eBay Financing Center Department at:

+44 (0)207 504 8111
*We strongly recommend that you confirm the payment by both e-mail and fax.

Important Notice
For security reasons please DO NOT release the payment details to the Seller or any other unauthorized person.

All the transaction, payment and personal information is considered confidential and will not be released under any circumstances.
Vehicle Purchase Protection program security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given evolving circumstances globally.
Our main and constant priority is the safety of our customers.
Bank Wire transfers can be submitted with the help of your banking institution. To send a wire transfer, you need to have the following information:

- Beneficiary (person to whom the wire is being sent)
- The receiving bank's Sort Code and name of the bank
- Account number of beneficiary
- Location of the receiving bank.

When payment is received, it will be verified and secured into a non-interest bearing trust account. Payment verification process usually takes less than 24 hours. After payment is secured, the Seller is authorized to deliver the vehicle.The Seller has 3 business days to send the Buyer and eBay Motors Customer Support the tracking number of the shipment. If no tracking number is provided, a full refund is immediately sent to the Buyer.

The Buyer receives the vehicle and has 5 business days to inspect it. If it is complete and as described, the Buyer should accept the vehicle. If he refuses the vehicle, the Buyer must ship the vehicle back to the Seller within 3 business days.

After the inspection period is over, the Buyer must contact eBay Financing Center Customer Support with the result of the inspection. If the Buyer refuses the vehicle, the refund will be sent to the Buyer after the tracking number for the returned shipment is verified. If the vehicle is accepted, eBay Financing Center Department submits the payment directly to the Seller within 3 business days.

Help

For any questions please E-mail us.

Thank you,
eBay Financing Center Customer Support
Vehicle Purchase Protection Program

Copyright © 2011 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy

This came through with what looked like a correct Ebay heading and backing

I then proceeded to send him the cash through BACs but couldnt settle thinking it was too good of a deal so started digging deeper and his name showed up nothing BUT his address flashed up on this site swinging me into action in getting the BACs stopped , i havent told him/she yet so at the moment im still recieving emails asking why the money has not been received by the SO CALLED EBAY HOLDING BRANCH

My actions since have been to
Inform Barclays that one of there accounts have been used for fraud

Inform the police

Inform ebay (did not seem interested at all)

Still waiting for my money back from barclays but i know they havent got it so not too bad
Last edited by bbbvito on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#66392 by Andy Hood Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:05 pm
Good deal. Hope everything goes alright for you. I dont live in the UK but from what Ive seen the police wont do anything about it anywhere unfortunately. Good luck!
#66412 by Bubbles Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:08 am
It isn't that the police won't do anything. It has to do where the crime was committed. If there was a crime (posing as a different person isn't a crime). Scammers are often in a country different from their victim. There are jurisdictional issues. There are manpower issues. There are financial issues. There are priority issues (i.e., murder and terrorism take precedence).

Prosecuting crime is complicated and scammers know this. They hide in anonymity including internet cafes, fake email addresses and online funds transfer services, they feel pretty safe. That is the reason we expose the scammers we find out about.

Thank you for your support of what we do here as ScamWarners! :D

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#66487 by bbbvito Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:54 pm
Yes , i dont think police will or can do anything but if they pass on the information i gave them hopefully it might get passed into the right hands and save someone else from a scam ,
As for the bank they did say that they would be passing it onto the right department and again if it makes things harder for the scammer and saves even one more person from him/her then a hour on the phone was well spent in my view ,

After i had stopped the money they even had the cheek to ask me if i was being honest about the purchase !!!!! they have got no scruples what so ever
#66491 by Katharina Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:37 pm
You did a great deal towards stopping this criminal by posting this information for others to find, bbbvito! :=)
As you noticed, scammers are persistent, so don't answer his emails or phone calls; he will realise he can't get money from you.
And beware of other types of scams, he might have passed on your email address to other scammers.
#66493 by began steele Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:08 pm
Sort Code:
20-29-37
United Kingdom

I will send this to Alan to get a shutdown if it is real. Please note the obvious spelling mistake in first line and the country is UK! Small details such as these should ring alarms. I can't stress too much the necessity to read emails and check up what you are doing is correct. Ebay dont carry out such a service or transaction.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#66494 by bbbvito Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:30 pm
began steele wrote:
Sort Code:
20-29-37
United Kingdom

I will send this to Alan to get a shutdown if it is real. Please note the obvious spelling mistake in first line and the country is UK! Small details such as these should ring alarms. I can't stress too much the necessity to read emails and check up what you are doing is correct. Ebay dont carry out such a service or transaction.

Yes your right they don't do it but what they do is have a "Ebayer buyer protection plan " logo in the top right hand corner of there page which is what i thought to be the thing i was using.
The main thing i am disappointed with (apart from myself for being taken in) is that Ebay don't seem to be bothered that these scams are being committed on their site which i think is bad news for all users , the money they are making you think they would put some back in to try and counter act this scam and others :(
#66497 by began steele Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:57 pm
nvoice for VPP Transaction Case ID #17R4W134E3 between John Alistair, as the Seller and xxxxxxx, as the Buyer. Please follow our instructions to complete the transaction safely.
Maybe you would care to remove your name as above?
I think it's a case of "Buyer Beware" AND TOO MUCH OF A DUTY OF RESPONSIBLITY TO VET EVERYTHING. We get many and most cases of hijackings of adverts and fake ones in SW. Aupairs, financial, lettings, all of which are nothing to do with the actual people responsible, who are also just as much a victim as the person who sends the money to a scammer. It is a never ending task. It's the same scams, just the dramatis personae changes and the script slightly. We regulars here, and where we hunt out scams, have seen it all.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#66797 by bbbvito Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:27 pm
Believe it or not he is still emailing me asking why he has not recieved the funds , he is now getting his pretend ebay site to email my as well eBay <[email protected]> this is suppose to be the holding account where the money is held until permission is given to pass it across

Good thing is at least he hasn't got my cash !!
#66801 by Katharina Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:04 pm
It's always gratifying to witness a panicking scammer. :mrgreen: He might even try to threaten you with a fake law enforcement agent. Of course you can disregard it.
#66806 by bbbvito Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:14 pm
Thanks

I would just like to thank this site , as if it wasn't for digging a little and finding this site i could be a big chunk of money out of pocket

:=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=) :=)
#69693 by Lazy Dog Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:59 am
Same guy(s) got me, transfered 4K yesterday to a Barclay account and immediate the listing was gone from ebay. Got suspicious and contacted ebay and they told me the whole paying procedure was fake (identical to the one listed here but with a different name and account) and I should try to cancel my payment. Trying this desperate since yesterday evening without any succes. My bank (from the Netherlands where I live) requested Barclays to sent the money back because of fraud involved, but they don't expect much from it. Contacted Barclays several times, they also tell me there's nothing they can do since I transfered it "willingly" therefor it's a civil case. Reported it to the police overhere but don't expect much of that either.
Seems I learned a very expensive lesson :(

@bbbvito: How did you manage Barclays from transfering it to the scammer? I tried realy everything to convine them but without succes. They will investigate though, but they told me they can not "freeze" the account, so when it's gone it's gone. Would love to stop it because as long as he/they don't have it i have a change to get it back!
#69733 by bbbvito Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:49 pm
It took about two weeks but because we sent it by BACS we had 24 hrs to cancel it ,i cancelled the following day but got told from bank they could not guarantee they could stop it , after ringing everyone i could think of ..

ebay ..not interested.....

barclays ....took me to get passed on to different people 5 times before i got a lady to said she would look into it but couldn't tell me anything about account holder..
190583876804police ....just a crime number !

etc etc

I was lucky i got my money back into my bank after two weeks even then the scammer was emailing me asking why i had stopped the payment !!!

Just been looking on ebay again and believe it or not he is at it again same pictures and write up but now he has people bidding on it under a different email address [email protected]

Item number 190583876804